your personal self defense ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hank2222, Jan 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Yep three solid hits with a .22 beats 3 grazing rounds of anything less than a .50 cal 709 grain slug...;)

2. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

currently using hornady tap personal defense, .40s&w, 180grain jacketed hollow point, but recently bought a few boxes of corbon thunder ranch dpx defensive ammunition utilizing a barnes tac-xp 140 grain hollow point........... but for a handload i'm trying to get a 200 grain hornady jhp set-up. now once I get if figured out it will kick some major tail.

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

what? No 9x18 mak? No 7.62x25 nor .25acp? personally, i'd go with a 12 gauge with flechettes but since my boating accident near Zug Island in the Detroit River where all my guns and most of my ammunition fell over board into the bottomless muck/sludge/toxic waste. I will have to stick with knife that has a gut hook.

4. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Vis I was thinking the same with .50AE, .500 s&w, .44 mag, .357 mag, .45 long colt, and a few more that could be very good for personal defense, One that I'm really suprised at was nobody said .38+p. differant times now I reckon.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That will be an interesting story when you get around to it. Importing into or out of Canada?

:rolleyes:

6. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Probably like my boating accident. I was headed out for a day to fish and then make my way to the deer lease to hunt and shoot when the boat got hit with a huge wave and my gun locker went overboard. Flimsy bass boats. Never take a bass boat out into uncertain surf conditions.

7. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

I usually have a shot load in the spout then alternate HP and ball or FN. Depends on what kind of penetration you want at the time. HMMM, can't take ANYONES advice experience only. HMMM I won't listen to you either. hahaha

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, I lost all of my guns 150 years ago in the civil war. I lost my AR-15, my AK, even the 1911 and the XD. It's a shame, really. I never should have messed around with that time machine I was working on. One flip of the switch, and BAM! I am back in 1860. The Confederates thought I was a Yank, and the Yanks thought I was a Confederate. Truth is, I said I was a Yank because I already knew they were gonna win. I told them to never mind, we use the same philosophy in the future when we vote. Anyway, I finally got myself back to our own time-space and I must have mistakenly forgotten that I returned a few seconds before I originally left. This created an electromagnetic sub-space anomaly fixed to my position, making any further trips back in time impossible unless I am willing to accept an unknown fate upon a second return. I tried to claim the firearm loss, but the nice lady on the phone told me I would have to provide proof. I promptly emailed her a copy of a picture I took on my Fujifilm digital camera of Lincoln and I smoking some blunts, but she was not impressed. I could go back in time and attempt to reclaim my firearms, but if I come back I will have to limit myself to arriving before I originally went back in time, which means that I will just end up taking the firearms back with me anyway! It's too bad insurance companies will not pay for perpetual property loss.

9. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'll stick with .45 myself in my 1911's and XD's. I use Winchester Ranger 230gr.

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

All my .45's now are handloads - mostly 230 grain hardball, with a smaller amount of 185 grain XTP hollow points. Tested in MY pistol, to function and shoot to point of aim. I trust them.
    My Remmy 870 gets fed whatever factory loads are needed for the application at hand.

Caliber and bullet type don't matter nearly as much as shot placement - a hit with a .22Short will ruin your day more than the miss with a .44Magnum....

11. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

The key is don't miss with the freakin .44 magnum..............................

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Well, in some cases, hitting the perp with a burst of small caliber zingers can be more fun than simply blowing him out of his felony shoes....... [gun]

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Kneecaps are always fun... as well as elbows....

14. CoverBuster

CoverBuster Monkey+

Who cares what ammo you use ?/ As only hits count . If I need to shoot you I'm going to shoot you more than once with what ever I have . I'm going to aim for the biggest part of you I can see , when my gun runs dry I'm going to move and reload and start shooting till your down and dead .

HP's or FMJ's it sucks to be shot .

15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Caliber and bullet type don't matter nearly as much as shot

True but a near miss with a 44 mag will really mess up your laundry.... :oops:

16. CoverBuster

CoverBuster Monkey+

Tell me how that works when your fine motor skills go to **** . Pipe dream .

17. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Personally, I find that something in a .729 caliber has a rather soothing effect on the mind....( 18.5mm) It does not have to hit the "target" directly, close does count with these! Shazaam!

18. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

yeah but carrying around something that would shoot that round,there inlies the problem........people would be asking you is that hulk hogan in your pocket or are you just extremely happy to see me.

19. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

http://www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/FRAG%2012.pdf

Now that's a 12 gauge round.
    The newer versions can be loaded easily into pump shotguns in 3 inch shells.
    Original ones were 2 3/4 inch and had less than the recoil of a slug or even a full 1 ounce load of no. 7 1/2 shot. First tests recorded velocities in fully loaded rounds up to 1600 fps.
    The ones "we" tested were ONLY able to be loaded like the old M-79 launchers, in a breech break action single shot...due to fuzing. That since has been changed and now they are safe to load: several rounds ( 5-7) in any pump action.
    Bless their hearts!

kellory likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold