your personal self defense ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hank2222, Jan 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Description: New Auto 12 Gauge in Action
    [​IMG]
    This updated/product-improved AA-12 shotgun is reportedly combat-reliable under adverse conditions, built like a tank (so it's highly rugged, or "ruggedized"), and, according to MPS, Inc. company officials, requires zero cleaning or lubrication (that's right, none). DefenseReview would think that eventually the guns would have to be cleaned at some point, but none of the AA-12 prototypes have required it, yet (and we're talking about many thousands of rounds fired through all of the prototypes, so far)--but more on that, later. The story gets even better: As it turns out, there's an exciting new family of 12-gauge (12ga.) shotgun rounds on the U.S. military horizon to go with the AA12 Shotgun, and it's called the FRAG-12. There are three members of the FRAG-12 munition family: the FRAG-12 High Explosive (HE), FRAG-12 High Explosive Fragmenting Antipersonnel (HEFA, or HE-FA), and FRAG-12 High Explosive Armor-Piercing (HEAP, or HE-AP). This unique and exciting shotgun ammunition has been designed and developed by the Experimental Cartridge Company, Ltd. and Action Manufacturing Inc.

The FRAG-12 family of 12-gauge ammo represents true "leap-ahead" or "transformational" technology with regard to the combat effectiveness and capability of 12-gauge combat/tactical shotguns in military infantry and, more specifically, urban warfare applications--provided that all variants perform as they were designed and developed to perform. Combining the FRAG-12 with the new Auto Assault-12 (AA-12) shotgun, which fires full-auto at 300 rpm (rounds-per-minute) would REALLY transform the combat capability for infantry combat shotguns. It's therefore important that the FRAG-12 rounds prove to be both reliable and accurate in actual operational deployment (i.e. tactical application), as well as safe to handle, store, ship, and fire (for the operator/shooter). If the FRAG-12 lives up to its billing, well then, folks, U.S. military combat shotguns just got some serious new life shot into them (excuse the pun), and will see a LOT more use on the 21st century battlefield, especially if the AA12-variant shotguns are purchased in large numbers by U.S. Armed Forces. It could happen.

According to the U.S. Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory's (MCWL) FRAG-12 Shotgun Ammunition Fact Sheet (PDF file), all three FRAG-12 rounds utilize a standard 3-inch 12-gauge cartridge case and propellant, which fires a fin-stabilized 19mm warhead with a MIL-SPEC 1316-compliant fuze assembly. The projectile arms after firing once it reaches 3 meters from the muzzle, and detonates on impact with the target. The FRAG-12 HE projectile, for instance, is designed to punch a one-inch diameter hole through 1/4-inch cold rolled steel plate, have a maximum effective range of 200 meters (200m), and reliably cycle/function in both gas-operated and recoil-operated tactical/combat shotguns. 200m is an impressive effective range for a 12-gauge tactical shotgun employed/deployed in infantry combat/urban warfare environments. The FRAG-12 HE-AP round incorporates a shaped charge to allow it to penetrate 1/2-inch steel armor plate. The Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory (MCWL) states that "the main reason for experimentation [with the FRAG-12 ammo family] is to examine these rounds as potential improvements to the combat-effectiveness of shotguns in urban areas [for urban warfare operations], using shotguns for stopping vehicles [vehicle interdiction] at roadblocks and checkpoints, barricade attack, and remote probing of potential Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs)."

The U.S. Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC), Dahlgren VA is supposed to be test-firing (or have already test-fired) 100 FRAG-12 HE rounds in order to "provide data on the round's reliability, safety, and handling characteristics. An additional 40 rounds of inert-loader FRAG-12 rounds have also been obtained for accuracy testing "where high-explosive projectiles are not allowed".
    [youtube]g77sLmw-UcY[/youtube]
    BRING THE HEAT!!

Mine were never quite that fancy or pretty! Maybe it's the background?</ARTICLE>

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Put me in for a case of them, I wish!

3. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

i have a problem with the Wilmington traffic stop because of the officers allready knew that they where looking for the truck and they should have done a felony stop with guns all ready out and ready to go ..

for the socalled signs where there and they did not follow them to keep the stop from going bad to worse .

4. Airborne Monkey

Airborne Monkey Gorilla Survivalpithecus

I run roll my owns in all of my 1911s ... stuff with Gold Dots.

I like 9mm Federal Hyrashok 135s in my 226 and 92F - I figure it is good enough for the operators in Ghani, it is good enough for me.

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

6. Lit 1911

Lit 1911 Monkey+

Federal 230 grain jhps.I too have a 1911.

7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

There is a round called the Hirtenberger EMB that looks pretty nasty:

EMB%2Bfiocchi.
    EMB%2Bfiocchi. EMB%2Bfiocchi.

9. NOWHITEFLAG

NOWHITEFLAG Live Free or Die Trying

I see that you are using Hollow Points in your 1911, Do you ever experience jamming problems. I have a 1911 and a Taurus Pt945 the Taurus is based on the Colt 1911. Anything but a FMJ tends to jam. My son has a Taurus PT 24/7 .45acp, It is styled more like a Glock,He can shoot HP or FMJ and has no problems.

10. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

Just an FYI.. if anyone is near an Academy sports, they are carrying a plain white box of Winchester .40 sw. This ammo appears to be the same ammo used in their pdx1 product line. I paid $21 for a box of 50. I read on some other sites that this is "The confirmed FBI load" ...don't know if that is true or not but the bullet does have talons inside the hollow point like the pdx1 does.

11. munchy

munchy Monkey+++

Out and about Winchester Ranger 135 low recoil, my follow up shots are very accurate. I also run Hornady critical defense, At home it's 3 inch #4 turkey rounds.

12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

7.62N steel jacket (not core) fragments.

13. Airborne Monkey

Airborne Monkey Gorilla Survivalpithecus

Wonder if they still produce that now that Fiochi bought them out and where it can be found? I googled but with no luck.
    EMB%2Bfiocchi.

14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

15. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Corbon

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I am a hunter. I know shot placement is more important than what I shoot.

adkpete, Brokor and BTPost like this.
  17. EOD1951

EOD1951 Monkey++

18. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I like any 230 grain HP loaded between 850-900 FPS. (I handload everything)

Who gives a sh*t if it doesn't expand... it's a 230 grain .45 slug.

(Seriously, this came from emptying my lead trap... most HP's don't expand after passing through any material...clothing, walls, furniture, glass, cars.... whatever. If it does, all the better. If it doesn't, it matters less so.) JMHO

19. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm.

20. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

And the final answer is:
    What ever is in the firearm you grab at the time you need to defend you/yours.

You have a firearm right? You've practiced or gone hunting with said firearm? You've hit what you aimed at? You know the effected range of said weapon with said ammo? and the firearm is loaded?

Then that's the right combination.

Witch Doctor 01 and Moatengator like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Dec 2, 2018, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft