Your three basic working handguns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hank2222, May 31, 2011.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

They are available in Australia.......but!

Sorry for not replying sooner, but in answer to your question Al, it is legal to own and possess the pistols that I have listed....however.....and there's always a however....there are very stringent licensing requirements for owning, possessing and storage of such firearms, that in the case of automatic and semiauto pistols, licensing is virtually impossible for your average joe shooter. It is practicable, if somewhat expensive, and exacting to own and possess a revolver(s) for the purpose of target shooting. Membership of a target shooting club is mandatory, and there are (not too onerous safety training requirements), mandatory safe storage and carriage requirements, and the requirement (that varies from State to State) to attend a certain minimum number of club shooting practices at registered rifle / pistol club activites (logbook and approved activity requirements vary from State to State).

Naturally...criminals are not bothered by such requirements, and usually obtain their armaments from gun running smugglers importing them from overseas.

I have fired 9mm Browning semi auto pistols occasionally in the service, and have an appreciation of revolver's and pistol's usefulness, advantages and disadvantages through wide reading in printed and online media. Down the track I haven't ruled out the idea of joining a pistol club....for target shooting competition purposes only, naturaly...( IPSC of course)

Official home page of IPSC Australia Inc

2. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

DW Valor 1911, .45ACP will always do what you need.
    Ruger security 6 ( I have had it forever and I am very handy with it. It has put a lot of meat in the freezer over the years)
    Ruger Vaquero (I know, a single action six gun..... HEY..they ALWAYS work and you can make replacement parts in your garage with simple tools!!)

3. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Mine are
    Smith & Wesson 1911 45ACP stainless
    Charter Arms 38SPL Stainless undercover hamerless
    Glock 26 9mm

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

1911-A1, Browning HP, or a S&W M59.

BTPost likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Browning FN Hi-Power
    Dan Wessen Stainless Pistol-Pak in .357 Mag
    Colt 1903 Pocket Semiauto in 38 ACP

6. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

Glock 40 Model 22, S&W Model 66 357, North American Arms 22mag pocket pistol

Smitty

7. limpingbear

limpingbear future cancer survivor....

Ive actually got 4...
    Ruger sp101 357 DAO (house gun and carry)
    Ruger SR9 (other house gun and carry)
    Ruger redhawk 44 mag (It can take some really stiff loads)
    Ruger single six....shoots anything from cb caps all the way up to mags accurately.
    And yes i like Rugers.....ive never broken one and i have abused the living hell out of them...

Dropy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I like Sig's

9. NOWHITEFLAG

NOWHITEFLAG Live Free or Die Trying

3-handguns-
    I only have 1- Taurus Pt24/7 .45acp, I normally have a M-1 (.30cal) carbine with 2 30 rd mag. in what ever vehicle I am driving. the 45 and 2 spare clips is only to get me back to the vehicle. The .30 cal is considered a pistol cartridge so I guess I need to get another handgun. my son has a .45acp and a Marlin Camp 9 carbine in his vehicle,with a couple of after market high capacity mags. My wife has a Taurus 7 shot .357mag revolver. No carbine although she is saving for a .223caliber Ruger mini-14.

10. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Get a Ruger blackhawk in .30 Carbine.......that way you can use the same ammo as your M-1.
    My uncle hunts with his old IH M-1 carbine and has his blackhawk in a shoulder rig.

11. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

Exactly this ^^. Having matching ammo, interchangeable mags really, really makes glock collections (same caliber of course) ideal and a no brainer. Nobody can't shoot a glock despite the lame handful of "pointability" arguments people fabricate because they're scared of guns or suck at shooting.

Having said that, I do think there's a place for a quiet-er rimfire handgun in the size of a little S&W airweight loaded with subsonics. Having said <<< that, I also think there's need for a good 4-legged predator/hunting gun like a good SA/DA 44 mag like a raging bull or a 629 because a .40 is useless in that category. I say the .44 because it's good in a carbine too. But if there's rifles allowed in the choice of 3 guns as your SHTF setup, then of course one of the 3 could be replaced with a SBR in 5.56.

12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Ruger SR1911
    Glock 17
    Riger MKIII

HD

13. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

CZ-52
    CZ-52
    P-64

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I carry a slingshot and three good rocks.

15. ezmoney

ezmoney Monkey+

Xd 9mm times 3 . wife, house , me, thinking of getting one more.

16. engineer1371

engineer1371 Monkey+

MIne

SCCY CPX-2 ccw piece
    TT-33 all around varmint killer
    Ruger 22/45 for the tree rats that I like to eat

Wife's

Ruger LCP CCW piece
    Taurus 709 slim
    NAA mini revlover in 22 LR

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have a slingshot as well and also 5000 BB's...
    I load 8 at a time in the pocket...and now i have ''Buckshot''

18. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

YEAH? Well I got a 5' copper tube, a sears craftsman 35gal air compressor, and a half dozen pints of BB's. [fnny]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. irayone

irayone Monkey+

S&W 686 .357
    .357 uberti lighting pump saddle gun
    .357 daringer
    These also shoot 38
    mossberg 500a 12 ga
    springfield m1-A

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

Springfield Armory .45 ACP Semiautomatic
    Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt Revolver
    Pietti 1851 .44 Revolver

Different eras, so different requirements for ammo. I have everything from semiauto rifles to spears. My gosh, reading what I just typed makes me sound insane.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7