Yukon Military Stove

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by brotherpoop, Jan 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. brotherpoop

brotherpoop Monkey+++

Apparently this 1950's stove was designed to burn diesel fuel, a fact I missed.

I can get the stove minus the hardware to burn diesel fuel...anyone know who has the hardware? Certainly the original tubing is too old to use I would suspect.
    P1070016(1)a.JPG

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The gas can could be found on cheaperthandirt.com or other similar sites. The hose and the valve, the pipe and tube could be purchased at most hardware stores. The burner, if you don't have it would have to be customized if it is not made for diesel burning. I have no idea what would be best, but from the looks of this pic, I can only guess it is a gravity fed and the burner has a wick, while the control valve monitors the drip pressure. I could be wrong.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

There's a guy on ebay that sells the hardware! (look under military heaters!)
    I bought the 1941' tent heater, and got it with the coal/wood grate-shaker assy, a really strange circular unit (looks like a turbine engine part) all the hoses and a 5 gallon jerry can adapter, and the "carburetor", with original GI instructions... I Made my 5 gallon can stand out of rebar and about 15 minutes of cutting, welding, and bending.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-Tent-H...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f037b075

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-military-M19...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2304bad67a

Here is the stand!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Jerry-Can-Stand...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eaa24036a

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  4. Brokor

Man those Ebay sellers who work for the DRMO can make a killing if they don't get caught. I remember bringing in so much equipment to them, and the yards are just ridiculous. I imagine that this seller could be legitimate, but I know for a fact that a lot of guys make a second living from this kind of thing.

Never tried it myself, probably could have.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

The prices have certainly gone down since I bought my 1941 tent heater, and even the Vietnam era "Immersion water heaters" are less now than half of what I paid!
    Must be the economy?
    I saw the Yukon 1950's era stoves/heaters as well, but I have all I need now....
    I also saw they have the newer versions....someone is getting them either by buying lots of surplus, or......
    But yeah, they are making coin!

6. overbore

overbore Monkey++

Take along close look at the drawing you enclosed; the hose says "gasoline".

I would not go there.

Laus Deo
    overbore

7. brotherpoop

brotherpoop Monkey+++

Well I picked one up in unused condition for $80.00 I'll probably just use this one for wood.

dragonfly a special thanks for the links since one of them had the current military version SHA (space heater arctic) parts I've been looking for about a year...I owe you.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

No problemo!
    I more than likely would not use gasoline unless I'd mixed it myself with diesel or some oil to make it less likely to detonate! (heavier is less likely to fume/vapor as much)
    Even with the carburetor, I'd use oils and diesel....but when I was in the Military (eons ago, late 60's early 70's) they used regular gasoline in them things!
    Even my immersion heater is set up for gasoline.....
    Makes me nervous today!

9. Brokor

I picked up a little Coleman one-burner stove which runs on Coleman Fuel/gasoline just so I can have an added means to always cook/heat if I needed to. Even the larger camp stoves may come in handy for home use or bug out vehicle prep.

10. Double Ott

Double Ott Monkey+++

I have one of these, along with some friends. One of the guys is a HAVC guy. He has converted it to LP with an old burner from a water heater. Works great.

11. The_Metatron

The_Metatron Monkey+

Deathtraps

I was in a mobile communications unit in Korea. When we deployed in the winter, we used these things in our GP medium tents. They're nasty, dangerous, things. If the drip regulator fails, and they do, you get an out of control oil fire hot enough to get the chimney stack red hot and catch the tent on fire.

This is one of the main reasons we posted night sentries, for fire watch.

I wouldn't recommend one of these unless you have no other option.

It occurs to me that distilled fuels such as diesel or gasoline would be too valuable to burn up as heating fuels in any sort of survival situation, anyway.

12. BobC

BobC Monkey+

I have a Model M1950 that I use in a Denver Tents, Colorado Wall Tent. Yes, it runs on gasoline. I would not use it in anything smaller than the 12x16' tent I have. Even on a COLD nite, it's throttled down to maybe 10%. The stove is dangerous, but knowing that is most of the battle. There are no wicks or anything like that. It is simplicity incarnate. The gasoline drips through a needle valve into a large, heavy brass burner plate. The plate consist of an upper and lower half with a small gap between the two. The fuel drips into that gap. Once lit, the brass heats up and evaporates the fuel where it burns on the edge of the gap. That 5-gallon gas can will last 2 nites in 30-degree weather. If you crank it up, it'll run you out of the tent, it'll get so hot! Like having any fuel burning in any tent - be wary.

13. pmf

pmf Monkey+++ Founding Member

totally agree w/BobC
    got to use them alot and man did they work great
    and the great thing is if you run out of gas you just burn wood
    i've seen thewm in sportsmens guide every so often but havent got one yet, i need to soon
    great post

14. Brokor

15. akraven

akraven Monkey+

I have used these in a wall tent as a woodstove many a night and had great success with them. Never tried to burn liquid fuels in them. If used for wood I suggest a small grate on the bottom to help air flow and to minimize warping/burnout of bottom metal.

16. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

Man you surely brought back memories. I was assigned to Alaska from 72 to 76. Every time we went to the field, every tent had to set up one of those Yukon stoves. BURN REGULAR GAS ONLY!!! Some Aviation boys used JP4 once, it wasn't pretty. Loss their tent and all their gear, but they were only on the rare side. Very lucky.

All in all it's a fairly versatile heater, and will keep a 10 man tent comfortable.

1. JC Refuge
  2. Andy the Aussie
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. ColtCarbine
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. Hillbilly549
  8. deMolay
  9. Hillbilly549
  10. Motomom34
  11. DKR
  12. DKR