Yurt vs tiny house vs RV

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by cwb, Oct 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I've recently discovered this YouTube channel and watched almost all of their videos. It's entertaining, and probably has some wisdom mixed in with some ...not. In any case they don't seem to hide their mistakes, and that can be valuable too.
    While building their home, they've been living in a trailer, with some interesting additions.
    Pure Living for Life
    Living in a Travel Trailer & RV Living Off Grid - YouTube

Dunerunner likes this.
  2. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

A trailer you can put a shed on.You can haul all your goodies in the shed.Take the yurt out and set it up.Take the shed off and use it any way you want. Really check out local building codes and evaluate potential hassles. Water? Potable camp kitchen. A Portable greenhouse could be used in many ways. The RV trailer limits hauling personal junk.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Mountain mama

Mountain mama Monkey++

If you go with a Yurt, choose a reputable company. Colorado Yurt Company is a good one. We checked into them, and i loved the idea. I didnt have a choice anymore when hubbys old homeplace came up for sale.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We have a Neighbor, that has one of those 5th Wheel ToyHaulers, that they tow behind their Diesel 3/4 Ton Pickup, all over the SW Country, in the winter time. It serves as a Rhino Hauler, and their Living Quarters when not actually moving down the highway...
    Complete Kitchenette, Bath& Shower, and Bedroom, in the Nose, and the Rhino rides in the Back, just inside the Rear Door/Ramp. Genset & AC built-in... Takes them about an hour to setup for a stay, once the Rhino is parked outside...

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Are you getting younger or getting older ?
    Personally In the event of a storm I'd much rather have a home some what off the ground and ready to go at moment's notice.

7. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

Shtf for us 3 years ago. The off grid place we were trying to but fell through and we had less than 30 days to vacate. We bout a couple rv's and move up the road a few miles to some raw land we were able to buy.

I would never live in an rv again. They are cold. They take allothe of heat (propane is wet heat and creates all sorts of condensation and mold).

I lived in the camper full time for over a year and a half with my wife, son and 2-3dogs. The first winter we got over 9' of snow fall and Temps as cold as -32. The second winter was worse with over 11' of snow fall and Temps of -37.

We lived in the rv while we built our 24'x24' garage with living above it. It's much more cozy than the 28'rv.

I have no clue what your financial situation is. Mine was cash flow. I have everything I have paid for. It's been slower than I wanted but it's mine (as long as I pay taxes).

If you have cash you can put an rv in a pole barn. I personally would take the cash I used on the rv and buy one of the small storage portable sheds the Amish sell. A 12'×24' shed is under 3k here. Spend a coup less more thousand insulating it and you have a livable shelter that you can heat with a candle and farts.

I have lived for 2.5 years on 150watt solar panel and 400watt 12v inverter. We can run every led light in our house under 120watts. In the summer we can even watch a couple hours of TV per week.

If your working and building a homestead plan on thinks taking twice as long or costing twice as much if your paying someone.

Jason

8. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

JMHO,I'd go with a mobile home till the main house is built. More living space than an RV and when the house is ready you can use it for storage or rent it out. Can also be used as guest quarters.

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For me ideally .
    A pick up truck and camper and an enclosed trailer.
    The pick up truck your going to need for shuttling materials and equipment any way .
    You can live in the camper both at home and on the road any where at random. you can remove the camper at random for these tasks.
    The enclosed utility trailer allows you to have an enclosed area to work, keep tools and other valued things set aside for the permanent home .

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

If it was temporary I would build a shed/ pole barn and live there. But if it was someplace that I would be in for 3+ years, I would purchase a Yurt. It would be a good investment (think a place to put visiting relatives) that you will still have after you build your permanent residence. Yes, I know a pole barn will last also but you can't have your Mom sleep in the pole barn.

My Aunt & Uncle lived in their cellar for a few years while they slowly built their home.

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Know of someone that had a pole barn that he did all he welding in. He built a real nice apartment over the shop and lives in that. Even has a covered deck off the apartment with a hot tub. Stores his firewood under the deck and stairs leading down to it. Nice bringing the wood in and not walking through the snow.

Then theres the retired couple that lived in a shed for two years as their garage and then their house was built. They didn't spend much of the winter there as the building was ongoing.

I lived in a 33 ft trailer when I first moved up here and I was shopping for land. Condensation was a challenge in that trailer.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. My wife and I are in a similar situation right now. Except we already live in a tinyhouse on wheels. Our problem is getting financing for property. Any kind of property we have looked at has been out of our grasp so far without a massive down payment. Sometimes the lenders wont even touch us with that. Its like the money lenders would rather loan a jobless bum that hasmore crap than he can afford..... rather than a person with no debt or outstanding balances. I would suggest getting the property before making any plans beforehand because you might get your dreams pissed on.

That being said I think a yurt is a great idea. Set up is quick. Power isnt required. Probably your biggest concern would be water. With water on the property you could set up a small tank, 12vdc pump and accumulator tank, filter, tankless propane water heater, and a propane regulator. The worst part would be hauling water up to fill the tank everyday or so. Then, just dig graywater septic tank. Boom, done!

chelloveck likes this.
  1. deMolay
  2. oil pan 4
  3. DKR
  4. chelloveck
    Hobbit living.... [MEDIA] [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Jul 1, 2018, 3 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  5. DKR
  6. TXKajun
  7. chelloveck
  8. RPR
    My latest purchase for the ranch... [MEDIA]