1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Zombie dispatching push dagger...

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Cousin Jack, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

Please excuse the picture...I gotta get a better camera.

I finally finished the push dagger that I started awhile back. The scales are black G-10 with nickel/silver pins. I took this one all the way to 1500 grit before putting a mirror finish on it with the buffer.
    dscf0986_881. dscf0985_176.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Nice! I have to get me one of those types of knives. Never really used one regularly.
  3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Beautiful work. :p
  4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

5. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Most excellent!!! :D
  6. Clay

Clay Monkey+++ Founding Member

WOW! Very nice!

If you don't mind me asking, what tools did you need to make that?
  7. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

Damn, that's a gorgeous job !!
  8. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

Well, basically, I used a hacksaw to cut the rough profile from a piece of tool steel, then I used a belt grinder with an assortment of different grit belts to establish the final profile and cut the bevels. I used a drill to make some holes for the pins.

To heat treat, I used a propane torch, a pan of olive oil to quench, and a toaster oven to temper it in.

I cut the handle material with a hacksaw as well. Clamps come in handy when gluing the handle scales to the knife. A buffer is nice to have to put a nice finish on it, but is not necessary as you can achieve a mirror finish if you hand rub up to 1200 or 1500 grit.

You should check out Valkman's excellent tutorial thread "The making of a knife"
    located here: http://survivalmonkey.com/forum/making-of-a-knife-vt166.htm

Don is an awesome knifemaker! [beer]
  9. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Shoot - I couldn't make what you just did! You did good, and that finish is neat!
  10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I would say that if you used a push dagger regularly, you might have some legal problems... :lol:
  11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

hehe. My dad used to carry a .45 on his hip since he was a small child. I carried a .38 most of my youth. Then I started carrying a rifle in the urban areas where we always lived as well. I never went anywhere without a knife, though. ;) Of course, I am now grown and had to give up my open carry from where I lived in Pennsylvania, but now find myself being comfortable with my tanto folder made by Cold Steel. I know that i will need my .45 one day, and I am hoping that it will never be when I don't have it on my side.

I simply refuse to exchange my right to bear arms for the privilege to carry.

But, ya. lol. I could hide a push knife if I needed to. :)
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary