Two "emergencies" - Preps were right on track!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by weegrannymush, Feb 2, 2012.

1. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Yesterday a family member was ill and went to our local hospital emerg (couldn't get a doc. appt.) - turns out it is a bad case of double pneumonia and a particularly contagious type. We had on hand: face masks, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, liquids etc. for ourselves and the patient (who is now resting comfortably, thank you...and I think, is quite happy to have a few days off work!)

And today we have just had a notice delivered to everyone in the village - we are under a Boil Water order "till further notice"....for everything except bathing! And guess who has loads of nice clean fresh "usable without boiling" water in her stores. Woohoo, I feel so VINDICATED, haha! And I think even the naysayers in the family are beginning to look at me as if maybe I know something after all and I'm not just a silly and fearful old woman. They're changing their opinions slowly but surely!

So, although these are only minor emergencies in the scheme of things, and certainly not in the category of TSHTF, we were able to cope and had everything we needed. I am so proud of me! Two years ago, in situations like these, we would have been running around trying to get the necessities (and maybe not even having the money on hand to do it!) Success is such a good feeling!

2. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

Way to go Granny. Sorry about your emergencies. Glad to hear the patient is doing ok. Those little moments of vindication feel good.

Falcon15 likes this.
  3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

It's truly great when a plan comes together! [applaud]

Cephus and Falcon15 like this.
  4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

You go Granny! You have successfully taken emergencies and made them into inconveniences!

5. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

A humble bow and a thank you all from the Prepper-of-the-Month! (And a big hahaha and lol to that, lol)

6. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

AS great as this for you Granny, you should feel vindicated and scared. It really brings home just how unprepared most people are. Think about the fact that less than 90 years ago both items would have been nothing for people to respond to, it was just life. The illness would have a good chance of being fatal but that was also a fact of life at the time.

7. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Sorry about the family but it's nice to see when something hits you are set to take care of it. It always helps when things happen that one can look and say no problem I got this. Way to go.

Cephus likes this.
  8. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Vindication--when an event happens can indeed be sweet.

Congratulations for your prepping forethought.

I fear that once Obama has been succeeded by the next president, many who have thought about prepping will ease up and defer further prepping efforts. That would be a grave mistake. The forces/rot that have been working on our society have grown deeper roots than most realize.

There will be further disruptions caused by the broadly cast seeds of destabilization which have been so energetically sown these past few years.

Please be wary of those who confidently assure all that hear them that "it is all clear, now. And there is no need for further worry."

Gently persist in your prepping. And do not discuss your preps with others (Op-Sec).

weegrannymush likes this.
  9. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

No fear of my quitting, Hedger - I believe too strongly that it is not just our localized areas (USA and Canada) that are in trouble....I am a Christian and believe the prophecies in Revelation. Everything spelled out there for the fate of the planet is coming true, you would have to be totally stupid and/or blind not to realize it - whether one believes in the religious side of it or not. So I will continue quietly and unobtrusively to collect what I can and prepare as best I can. It's not such a far out way to go - in Canada in "the old days" you had to put stuff by for the winter. Either that or you starved or froze to death....preparing for winter was a way of life in the summer and fall, as it was in most of the USA also. It just took fifty years of "a chicken in every pot" and chockfull chain stores to erode the independence and self-reliance which used to be the birthright of every sensible person in our two countries.

10. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Things like this are the reasons I prep.I'm not likely to survive a full blown EOTW scenario,but maybe I can get thru the next snowstorm,power outage,etc with nothing more than minor inconvenience.And good for you,inspiration that you are..:)

weegrannymush and Seawolf1090 like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Good going, granny!!

stand tall....stand proud....stand confidently...as I say....an inch of prevention is better than a yard of avoidable misery.

Quietly purposeful preparation can be quite infectious, when others see you coping with emergencies that would have them frantic. Setting a good example is true leadership....keep it up! : )

weegrannymush likes this.
  12. Hogleg

Hogleg Monkey+

Always good to hear when things work out. Thanks for the post!

13. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Thanks for the encouragement from all of you!

We are still under the Boil Water Advisory. Both of these things happening simultaneously (the sick family member and the need for absolute cleanliness and quarantine along with the Boil Water) made it really a bigger problem than if only one thing had been happening at a time. Such a lot of extra work....and that will be very much magnified and intensified in a really bad, long-term, SHTF situation. We will all wish that sometimes we could just sit down for a minute, I suspect...just to keep going at a minimal level will take a great deal of manual (some heavy, some light) work. The thing I am most not looking forward to is the LAUNDRY....I have been in that situation before when I lived in the bush as a young woman with young children and I did not, repeat not, like it! For three years, I never once caught up with the piles and since at that time cloth diapers were the order of the day, I was in deep doodah a lot of the time. Dr. Spock's Baby Care Book was my "bible" - he had very kindly included a chapter on how to take care of diapers if you had no running water (the only water I had "running" was the creek) what you did was scrape the contents of the diaper "with an old kitchen knife" into newspaper and then go from there with laundering. Today's babies are so Pampered (pun intended, lol) and their parents are too! Well, at least now I dont have any youngsters in the house but I suppose that could change if family come to us in a crisis some day. But I WON'T be doing the diapers, they are forewarned!

My poor sicko patient is not feeling good today at all....I guess the antibiotics haven't begun to kick in yet. He really does look so miserable, poor guy!

Hope all you Monkeys will have a great day and a great weekend....and do appreciate your water supply while you have it. You know the old saying - You never miss the water till the well runs dry (or the faucet, haha!)

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There is a hidden message in that. Buy and store a pile of cloth diapers, they are good for lots of things besides babies and really old folks that might be or become incontinent. Rags, bandages, all sorts of things other than butt wrappers. I imagine one might cob up a set of long johns without too much difficulty if it came to that.

15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I can understand your reluctance at dealing with nappies....my mother...still alive, but goodness knows how....had 5 children in the space of 12 years, sometimes having two children in nappies at any one time. She didn't have the benefit of a modern washing machine, and disposables weren't even a faint blip on the radar then. She started out with boiling sluiced nappies in a copper, and then eventually graduated to a Heath Robertson invention which did not include a mangle (wringer), so she used to hand wring them all before hanging on the line (no dryers in those days). Her forearms would have done justice to a pro wrestler, and she could arm wrestle with the best of us kids for quite some time. I don't think she was heart broken about missing that part of her mothering.

weegrannymush and tulianr like this.
  16. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Chello, how lovely to read about your Mum! Tell her she is to be congratulated on raising someone like you - a joy and inspiration to every Monkey in the tree! You say she had 5 children in 12 years, I had 4 children in slightly less than 5 years! Totally unprepared for motherhood or even for life, I have to say. As my Mum would say, Just a Daft Lassie, with nothing in her heid but laddies! I don't know how I ever got through it all. I was 5'2", weighed about 110 lbs...and had babies weighing over 9 and 10 lbs. And I did in actual fact, have THREE kids in diapers at the same time.....and took care of the horse, the pigs, chickens, cut hay, cut wood, hauled water and lived in a house that was nearly falling down. But I was living my "dream" - to be a "pioneer in Canada". Lord luv a duck, I must have been mad - either that or just plain masochistic.

Anyway, thanks for sharing about your Mum...tell her I helped my old Auntie in Scotland to turn her huge mangle to "press" the sheets. Everything was washed by hand of course....to think that was only 60 years ago.

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Modus Operandi
  2. hitchcock4
  3. LESisMoreSocial
  4. Motomom34
  5. Garand69
  6. Tully Mars
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Motomom34
  10. Motomom34
  11. TXKajun