Best masks for virus protection?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ajax, May 9, 2012.

Register to hide advertisements

1. Ajax

Ajax Monkey+

Every since we had a few virus scares like H1N1, Sars etc. I have been planning on buying some good quality masks in case we ever need them. So I had a few questions.

Has anyone used the NanoMask like in the link below? It seems like I remember reading that they did a good job because the seal around the face better. At the time this stuff was sold out every where so I want to buy before another scare happens and you can't get them for several months.
    Nano Mask

Is this the company that makes them? They show up on web search but I don't see the product on the site.
    NMI Health

Are there better options for small portable virus protection?What are your plans in case of a wide spread virus outbreak or something similar and you can't stay cooped up in your house?

Do gas masks filter viruses or is it common to be able to buy filters that are multi purpose and filter gasses and viruses?
  2. CATO

CATO NOBIS NON EXIERIS ARMA

This is a general comment, not specifically about those masks:

When you see news reports of people walking around in what appears to be surgical masks or N95 type dust masks (especially in Asian countries) after some flu incident, those masks are MUCH better at protecting you from the wearer's germs. To put another way, if the person wearing the mask sneezes, you're going to be more protected from them than if you sneezed on a person wearing a mask.

If you have facial hair or the mask doesn't fit good, it's not going to work.

Masks and N95 Respirators

...and don't forget, these bugs can enter through your eyes.

Something like this with give you a good seal around your face and protect your eyes.

Amazon.com: 3M 6900 Large Full Facepiece Respirator 6000 Series, Reusable: Home Improvement

218L-tzcWZL._SL500_AA300_.
    Brokor and tulianr like this.
  3. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey++

the other thing to remember is a lot of this you can get thru skin contact, infecting yourself when you touch eyes, mouth, nose. A mask does not do it all.
  4. Ajax

Ajax Monkey+

In the event it was ever needed I figured a minimum of mask, safety glasses and gloves.
  5. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay Site Supporter+

So N95 masks do squat?
  6. CATO

Sure....if you wear one, it will keep you from infecting others with your germs.
    Cephus and Tracy like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit troglodyte Administrator Founding Member

Good for sawdust at least, but not a lot more. Check this for more on respirators, especially the tables.
    Respirator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Remember that fit counts heavily toward effectiveness.
    SurvivalTech and Tracy like this.
  8. Ajax

Ajax Monkey+

If I remember correctly that is what the benefit of the NanoMask was is it fit much tighter than the simple felt type N95 masks.
  9. TraumaHawk2011

TraumaHawk2011 Monkey

Actually, the N95 are just fine. H1N1, H5N1,H5N2and eventually H5N3 (the flu pandemic you and I fear) only attatch to respiratory tract cells. The N95 is fine to prevent aspiration of the virus. You cannot get it through the eyes, you can however get it from yourself, when you remove your mask if the virus is on your clothes or skin (specially hands that touch your face (mouth and nose) many times per minute). Also a good idea to have respiratory tract antibiotics available as many will die from secondary bacterial pneumonia when the bug shuts down your respiratory tract defenses. Hope this helps.
  10. CATO

Wrong.

Test out my theory: wear an N95 mask, and let someone with the flu sneeze on you and keep your eyes open.

Aside from the absurd: in an area of high prevalence, the flu virus will be on a great many surfaces from sneezes, people's hands, etc. That virus can live up to 8 hours on some surfaces.

You come along, touch the area, transfer virus to your skin, then scratch your eye, you've just put a virus in your body to replicate.