DIY Underground Safehouse Build

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by John Porter, Aug 26, 2012.

Register to hide advertisements

1. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator Site Supporter

The only surefire way is with a SCBA Setup (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus) like firemen wear into a burning building. You could filter out the Particulates, but the CO (Carbon Monoxide) is really not filterable at the personal level. Same with CO2. You can scrub it, like the Nuke Subs do,with Lithium canisters, but not really on the personal level. Same with many of the Combustion Product Gases, which are Many, varied, and mostly carcinogenic, especially if any Plastic, or Polymers are burning. Much better to have Alternative Air sources, and close off the Intakes, that are bringing in the BAD stuff. This is exactly why FIRE, on a Submerged Sub, is so deadly, and everything possible, is done to surface and ventilate, should a FIRE break out. Confined Space, with BAD Air = DEAD, and right quick.
  2. ghrit

ghrit troglodyte Administrator Founding Member

Off topic a bit, but fire on a sub is easily survived by the crew by use of emergency air breathing masks. The air bottles are hooked to a manifold that runs stem to stern, and easily accessed. (One of the qualification tests is to make your way from one end to the other with the mask on and holding your breath from one station to the next and use ALL of the stations in the boat. The hose is about 10 feet long, IIRC.) The problem is with vision if the fire is smoky and/or the lights go out. The compartment with fire is isolated, and personnel that have to enter use the EAB apparatus to combat the fire, the main aim is to prevent loss of critical components. Now, that said, there are times and places where surfacing and ventilating ship is ill advised.

SCBA gear is not comfortable at all. Like SCUBA gear, you are limited by the amount of air you can carry. Say an hour for single bottles if activity is low. Say half an hour if working hard. There are no filters that I know of that will keep all the combustion nastiness out of lungs; not even those with activated carbon filters will do it.
  3. John Porter

John Porter PatriotSurvival

As far As Fire or Smoke Or Attacks to the shelter I havent worked out all the kinks And Nothing Is Full Proof
    But recently I have Picked Up 2 MSA breathable Air Tanks at the Flea Market very cheap
    Looks Like this Set But I dont have the Face masks yet Just the Tanks and Gauges
    7884406230_1971df7c31_m.
    breathable air Tanks by PatriotSurvival, on Flickr

7884406230_1971df7c31_m. 7884406230_1971df7c31_m.
    ditch witch likes this.
  4. John Porter

Also Have Been Looking At Baffles for The Intake and outake That Will Not Allow anything to be poured into Shelter
    These are Expensive and I may Try My Hand at Making my own Or Just Might have to hide everything extremely well with a Briar Patch or something unsavory

Again Though No Plans Are Full proof and this will certainly not be a shelter that is state of the art . It is a Very Low Budget DIY that I am doing in my spare time
  5. John Porter

6. John Porter

7. John Porter

Soon I will be starting the Concrete slab Pour
  8. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

Being something of a firebug myself, I would be more worried that the fire would suck out all the oxygen from your hidey hole and suffocate you long before toxic gasses would do you in. If I had an underground shelter where a raging forest fire could engulf it, I would want a way to completely seal it off airtight for as long as it might take for the fire to gobble up all the surrounding fuel and move on. If not airtight, then at least with an SCBA or a few O2 tanks and a respirator on hand.
    ozarkgoatman likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit troglodyte Administrator Founding Member

O2 is a good thing, taken in appropriate amounts. Be aware of oxygen poisoning. Compressed air bottle are a much safer bet.
  10. Airtime

Airtime Monkey Site Supporter

So compressed bottles of air will only last so long. An 80 cubic foot scuba tank will last 2-3 hours depending upon one's exertion level. The SCBA tanks fire fighters use are typically a bit smaller to mitigate the weight. So got me thinking. You could bury say 1" PVC or PEX tubing from the bunker out through the woods for a hundred feet or even 2-3 hundred feet. Run one north, one south, one west, etc. Come up out of the ground with galvanized pipe painted to camo it with a stainless screen and vent cap that will let air in but keep water and bugs out. Then you could select which air line goes to fresh air and use a good sized hand operated diaphragm pump to suck air in and feed it to you gas mask's filter cartridge. If you want could add a battery operated pump. Key is to be able to well outlast a patient gang of bad guys and I wonder if bottled air gets that. Also keep in mind that a bullet hit to an air tank pressurized to 3000 psi isn't pretty especially aluminum tanks and in a small confined space. Just thinking...

AT