Dogs and Survival

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Blade, Feb 12, 2009.

Register to hide advertisements

1. Blade

Blade Monkey+

Reasons to think twice before eating your dogs in a survival situation:
    (In no particular order)

1. They can help locate (sniff out) animals for food
    2. They can offer a significant moral boost, extra reason to live
    3. Possible beasts of burden
    4. Can help you fight off animals and other people, especially when you are wounded
    5. Keep you warm when you sleep
    6. Dogs are likely to be able to survive on their own, you can watch and learn
    7. All but eliminates the need for an untrustworthy human companion ;)
    8. Can be trained to hunt, track, seek and destroy, attack etc.
    9. Excellent as an early warning to many types of danger
    10. They can always be eaten if they die or if there is nothing else!

Those are some reasons I think it would be worthwhile to keep your dog alive. I don't think you should sacrifice yourself for your dog but they can be very valuable long-term when they are alive, instead of short-term when dead. Please comment and share your thoughts!
  2. Brokor

Brokor OPSEC ENABLED Site Supporter

Dogs can survive on very little. Over here in Iraq, there are so many dogs around, it is just amazing to me. If you do not feed your dog too much now, then later when food becomes more difficult to acquire, it won't be as difficult to manage.

Train your dog well and spend time with the animal. A dog that isn't trained is more of a burden than a blessing. Set the ground rules with your dog; you do not need to punish by beating it. There are great books out there, and I suggest investing in at least one on dog training.
  3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member Site Supporter

What if you're hidden?

I don't know about your dog, but as well as mine is trained, I still cannot stop her from a low rumbling growl or warning bark before she defends her pack (us).

It's great for an alarm system, but she's a dead give-away during hide and seek.
  4. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey+

Yeah I addressed this a while back but I couldn't get the document to upload.

I've got FM-7-40 scout dog training and employment in pdf form, for any who want it.

It's 5.72 MB.

I'll give it one more try, otherwise PM me and I'll email you it.

Also a great (the best) dog training book is "THE KOEHLER METHOD OF GUARD DOG TRAINING" 1967, 1962
    ISBN # 0-87605-552-8

Oh well once again "upload of file failed"
  5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member Site Supporter+++

Mine is trained well, he will not bark, he will point people and animals out for me.
    The only time he will bark is if i institute play time .
  6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

It's all about "training"!
    I have my newly acquired 2 year old "queensland heeler" working already with just my hand signals!
    In as little as 60 days....
    Barking can be controlled, and mine won't bark unless someone is too close to the house now....
    I won't try to stop that behaviour, as long as I am surrounded by illegal immigrants...
    And I mean a LOT of them.
    95 families here, and now only 5-6 families are NOT illegals!
    We have had a considerable amount of thefts, and attempted break-ins...Now, they don't come around with the dog...
    (even though he is not trained in any form of security/attack modes)
    They even ignored my 8 outdoor cameras, that THEY know are working 24/7!
  7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member Site Supporter+++

Mine is a queensland heeler as well and runs on all hand signals too.
  8. Pauly Walnuts

Pauly Walnuts Monkey+

My dog (Shepherd) barks like a mother when animals or people are within 20 feet of the house. I'd like to train her more though, she went after a rabbit today and saw her first turtle (LOL).
  9. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I think I'd better devote more time to training now, while it's still possible!
    Tomorrow may be too late!
    Bill
  10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

try to eat this dog
    madmax.