Good emergency heat source for my apartment?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Blackjack, Dec 3, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'll need to hit Lowes. I saw that sign yesterday but didn't have time to go check. Where's the best deal on a Mister Buddy Big Buddy?

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The only ones I have seen cheaper than the standard $129 (Gandermountain, Bass Pro online, Cabela's online, Atwood) was an in-store Cabela's had them for $100.

I need to go by Lowe's and pick up some of the kerosene heaters.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

OK. Score at lowes on the Buddys.
    Wasn't listed online but they had them instore for 50% off. Had to visit 3 to find them.

3 of the regular 4000-9000 BTU and 4 of the 4000-18,000 BTU models. Also bought some of the hoses to adapt them to larger propane containers.

One thing that was a little sneaky is that they list on the box that they will burn 220 hours on low. Yep, they will... If you have them hooked up to 2 20 lb cylinders.

All in all not a bad day. I managed to pick up a 100 lb cylinder as well and get it filled. These things throw out some heat on high with the fan running!! But, only for 4 hours on 2 small cans. It will run for 12 hours on low with 2 cans.

TN-Andy taught me something today. 1 gallon of propane contains 92,000 BTUs. 20lb can contains around 5 gallons and my 100lb can was filled with 23 gallons. You can do the math to figure out how long yor heater will run.

BTU is a measure of output on most heaters. What it really measures for us is consumption.

4. inkydog

inkydog Neophyte Monkey

5. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

kerosene heater fo' sure

6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

May be good in the very short term.
    They stink real bad..
    Wood heat is better, but is probably not allowed in your condo in your area..

RightHand likes this.
  7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I would note that kero heater can cause issues with humidity, so some care in venting will take care of both CO and the build up of humidity.

Motomom34 and Zimmy like this.
  8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Licking the condensation would help avoid dehydration. Every pound of kerosene generates 1.8 pounds of water through combustion.

In the event it got down to -40 in Texas, I think I could make it a week or two just bringing the horse, dogs, cats, and chickens in the cabin. It would be a mess but enough.

I would vote for the Mr Buddy, the extension hose connector, and a forklift propane bottle or two.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

If you were going with a big bottle propane (likely not allowed for an apt, then looking at an RV heater, like the Wave 3 might be in order.m About $200.
    [​IMG]
    • Adjustable from 1600 to 3000 BTU/hr allow it to be used as a secondary heating source
    • Wave heaters operate on low pressure gas, and can be wall mounted or used as a portable unit
    • No electrial drain or battery connection make it the ideal solution for boondocking and dry camping
    • Wave heaters operate silently-no fan or blower noise
    • Equipped with a safety shut-off valve to help prevent accidental non-ignition fuel discharge
    The company also produces larger units, the Wave 6 and Wave 8 for example. All can be used as a portable unit and require low pressure propane.

Zimmy likes this.
  10. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Out here in the country we don’t have such fancy gadgets. I like it. I may have the Amazons bring me a few for me and the Zimmy satellite units.

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We use a wall mounted Propane Heater to suppliment the Open Pot burning Diesel Stove that heats our Store and Warm Winter Storage, when Temps drop below 25F... They burn clean, and No issue with CO, OR Smell.... Works really well....

Zimmy likes this.
  12. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

why not a US made Mr Heater at half the price and more BTUs ??? - runs off the 1lb propane bottles and has all the safety features .... a Big Buddy would make a single room apartment livable ....

3cyl and Motomom34 like this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There could be a jurisdictional problem. Often times the fire codes forbid propane bottles in apartments. In fact, in Massachusetts that is true. Now, on a first floor with a patio, they MAY be legal on the patio. Aside that, a propane bottle indoors is not too bright.

14. Illini Warrior

Mr Heater makes a cabinet unit that houses a Big Buddy heater and a 20 gallon tank - 18,000 BTU Cabinet Heater

Zimmy likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The problem is fire codes. A 20 gallon tank is a hazard, not because of leakage necessarily, but in the event of a fire, they represent a bleve hazard. Those cabinets are fine where permitted, just not gonna be allowed in an apartment building. OP is in Mass, where I ran into that exact situation.

Zimmy likes this.
  16. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

I have a Mr Heat big buddy that came set up to run on two 1 pound cans, run time on high is 14 hours. Did the conversion to a 20 pounder an now it will run for30-40 hours on high. The 1 pound setup is approved by the Feds to be used indoors "with a door or window open". Being a Mass-Hole myself, be safe, and what they do not see will not scare the snowflakes.

Zimmy and ghrit like this.
  17. Illini Warrior

doubt they'd be allowed almost anywhere if an authority person got involved - these manufacturers only talk about "outdoor" usage which is lunacy - but give square foot heat coverage for a confined space - equip the heater with a low 02 safety device ... hint hint hint

Zimmy and ghrit like this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. Prepper12
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. Hillbilly549
  6. DKR
  7. Kavode
  8. TnAndy
  9. Dunerunner
  10. oil pan 4
  11. oil pan 4