Post Apocalypse Job Search

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by F. Ticious, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No worries, you haven't that I know of, but my hide is thicker than some. Still winnowing.

Alpha Dog likes this.
  2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

You are Welcome? I Think?

3. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

Yes, winnowing; separating the wheat from the chaff using wind, I believe? An excellent idea, if I find any mature grains growing about. I can see where this is a very useful thing with maybe wild rice? I found what I believe is watercress, is it supposed to taste like radishes?

Seacowboys likes this.
  4. Seacowboys

Yes, Frank; watercress does sort of have a peppery radish-like taste but I do not know what water-hemlock tastes like and it is similar in appearance to watercress and is pretty poisonous.

5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sea, can you post a picture of the watercress? That would be helpful.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would think WiKiPedia would have Pictures of both.... RH....

7. Seacowboys

Sure, not a problem.
    water-hemlock-1685. watercress-1.

BTPost likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Notice a difference in the shape of the leaves..... Not to hard to tell the difference... .... YMMV....

9. Seacowboys

BTW, don't make too many meals from just watercress because it is a reasonably strong diuretic and will have you pissing until you evaporate.

10. Seacowboys

Watercress contains significant amounts of iron, calcium and folic acid, in addition to vitamins A and C. [3] [4] Because it is relatively rich in Vitamin C, watercress was suggested (among other plants) by English military surgeon John Woodall (1570–1643) as a remedy for scurvy. In some regions, watercress is regarded as a weed, in other regions as an aquatic vegetable or herb. Watercress crops grown in the presence of manure can be a haven for parasites such as the liver fluke Fasciola hepatica. [5]

Many benefits from eating watercress are claimed, such as that it acts as a stimulant, a source of phytochemicals and antioxidants, a diuretic, an expectorant, and a digestive aid. [6] It also appears to have antiangiogenic cancer-suppressing properties; it is widely believed to help defend against lung cancer. [7] [8] [9] [10] A 2010 study conducted by the University of Southampton found that consumption of watercress may also inhibit the growth of breast cancer. [11] The content of phenethyl isothiocyanate (PEITC) in watercress inhibits HIF, which can inhibit angiogenesis.

Due to its high iodine content, watercress has a strengthening effect on the thyroid gland, thus it is beneficial for sufferers of hypothyroidism. [medical citation needed]
    Watercress is mentioned in the Talmud as being able to stop bleeding, when mixed with vinegar. [12]

Gray Wolf, Cephus and BTPost like this.
  11. Seacowboys

If you are finding watercress, you might also find cattails:

Typha has a wide variety of parts that are edible to humans. The rhizomes, underground lateral stems, are a pleasant nutritious and energy-rich food source that when processed into flour contains 266 kcal per 100 g. [2] They are generally harvested from late autumn to early spring. These are starchy, but also fibrous, so the starch must be scraped or sucked from the tough fibers. The bases of the leaves can be eaten raw or cooked, in late spring when they are young and tender. [4] In early summer the sheath can be removed from the developing green flower spike which can than be boiled and eaten like corn on the cob. [5] In mid-summer, once the male flowers are mature, [6] the pollen can be collected and used as a flour supplement or thickener. [7] Typha has also recently been suggested as a source of oil. [clarification needed] However, the plant's airborne seeds have also been known to create skin irritation and can trigger asthma.

Starch grains have been found on grinding stones widely across Europe from 30,000 BC suggesting that Typha plants were a widely used Upper Paleolithic food. [2]

BTPost likes this.
  12. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

I found some cattails! Thank you Mr. Cowboy. I can eat them raw without any problems? How do I get the starch out of the roots? They are really muddy. I also caught a pair of nice crayfish and a small turtle. I can boil them up in my can tonight with watercress.

13. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

I will trade some watercress and bat guano for a little salt?

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Incoming Boy's in 5...4...3..
    Better Duck !!!
    bullshit-meter-0.

larryinalabama likes this.
  15. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

I have fence posts that need pounding, I have stalls that need cleanin out, I have a garage that needs cleaning out, I need two portable chicken coops assembled, firewood needs splittin, yard needs to be raked, and when you finish those you can wear out some shovels digging a hole to put the sea container in.
    In return you will get well fed and a warm place to sleep. You will also earn an hourly wage in line with the quality of your work.
    I got my kids around here so I also expect that you respect the privacy of my house and stay the heck away from it.
    If I see you with a weapon in your hand prior to earning the trust, proving your ability and knowledge with firearms, and passing my qualification, you will be dropped on site as a hostile intruder with intent to do harm.
    So, head on down to a truck stop and wash yer mangy a$$ up. Get on a bus and head to Syracuse, NY. PM me when you get there and you will get your next set of instructions. If I change my mind and decide not to let you in, you are almost at the Adirondak mountains, LOTS to live off of up there and with tourist season on it's way, plenty of places to find work.

kellory, Cephus and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

Mr. Gator? I have read many of your threads and you do not seem like an unkind person? Please, if I have offended you in any manner, let me know. I am asking nothing from anyone here except advice and possibly some work in exchange for food or what other means of barter is viable? Mr. Grits is being very kind and so are the cowboy man and the righthand person; they seem almost nice to me. And the post gentleman they called a marshmallow? He is very smart!

17. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

A LAWYER!!!! *dives into his workshop looking for a rope*

Alpha Dog likes this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Cuz...Nobody boils a crawfish and a turtle together...You will poison yourself soon if your not very very careful...

19. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

WRC223, that is such a kind offer but NY is much too far for me to travel by foot and I am afraid that I have compelling reasons to stay near the community I just vacated. i really would love to learn many of those skills you have described. I do not think many "survivalists" have actually considered just how much work is involved with being prepared. God has blessed you and you and your family will be in my prayers of thanks.

20. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

Thank you Mr. Gator! I certainly would never have known that crayfish and turtles can be poison when mixed.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7