10- last minute things you would do when SHTF

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Aug 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Were recharge in solar house/ farm here

Joe13 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

1- Try to obtain fuel.
    2-Fire up the Ham Shack.
    3-Pre-position weapons systems.
    4-Install hurricane shutters on windows.
    5-Alert the couple of trusted neighbors.
    6-If conditions allow, hit a store for more supplies.
    7-Fill water storage.
    8-Pre-deploy tactical gear.
    9-Establish comms on local and HF.
    10- Cook a few big steaks, pour a Glenlivet, digest over a Cuban Belinda while watching the outdoor cameras...

Items 1-9 has proven to take 2 hours, 1 hour if item 6 is omitted. Item 10 can take quite a while.

Mountainman, Ura-Ki, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Mentally walking through this exercise is a good thing, a real good thing... What keeps hitting me in the face is a lack of gasoline. I hate storing gas cans in the garage; it's like asking for trouble, but can't seem to come up with a good alternative. Really need a tank that is designed for it and probably buried underground. But, given that I don't have one and it's probably is too costly to install (only God knows what permits I would need!) then I would make a dash to get as many 5-gallon cans of gasoline as I could lay my hands on.

Oh! And, I would stop by the Liquor Store and purchase as much scotch as the truck could carry. Might as well go out in style and it would probably be something a sober man doesn't want to see anyway. :)

Ura-Ki, Ganado and Joe13 like this.
  4. Joe13

Joe13 Monkey

Great point on the storage...

I may need to think about just adding the cans for storage and make one trip to the gas station to fill them all at once.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Me? I would NOT make a, 'last stand' from inside our home. It's a good dwelling for keeping out the weather; but 5.56 and 7.62mm rifle fire? Naaa, this place would quickly become, 'Swiss cheese'. We've got long stone walls, numerous piles of rocks, and plenty of overhead cover in the rear yard and back pasture; and I intend to make good use of the landscaping. The back and side yards are where I'd prefer to do any serious fighting from. What I don't expect is to receive is a lot of warning. By the time I see the, 'bad guys' coming they'll already be within 100 - 150 yards of the house.

All the packs and guns are going to have to be loaded BEFORE the party starts! ;)

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

They are not already?! :eek::rolleyes:

techsar, Ura-Ki, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  7. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Actually, her husband retired from the USAF a few years ago after doing 20 as a firefighter and was hired as fire chief at Yellowstone.

Bandit99, Ura-Ki and Joe13 like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Got to thinking.
    If i'm home and news of martial law is being carried out I'd likely remove all my solar panels and put them in faraday cages and make sure all other electronics are put away and disconnect from city services completely , because it is likely that, to quell the riots nation wide, the government would detonate EMPs in affected areas to prevent communications .
    Yes they can do that.
    They don't care what control cost at that point.
    If they are corrupt enough to keep a person like hillery/obama in office, nothing is beyond their reach.

Pax Mentis and 3M-TA3 like this.
  9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I watched people with full tanks of gas in their cars lose food in the freezers because the genny ran out of fuel. One of my vehicles holds 32 gallons, one 18, and the company truck 26. That's 76 gallons before I even think of using the 2 five gallon cans. People don't think sometimes.

3M-TA3, Yard Dart and Mountainman like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Always filled at the end of the day?

11. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Many great plans here and I would add this:
    If possible make a run into town and buy as many extra solar system batteries as I could.

12. Pax Mentis

See...now that means Meddy...and I don't want to get anywhere near that if things are going south...I don't even want close to I-5

Yard Dart and techsar like this.
  13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

You should already have any nonperishable items on hand - waiting until SHTF only makes them more expensive and exposes you to danger, and that's assuming you find them at all.

14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I would agree on that item. If one was to venture out last minute, it would be to the closest area, with food, gas and other critical last minute items you can grab. If chit goes sideways, you are close enough to home to make it on foot, and pack what you have collected. Venturing out to larger metro type areas is a fool's errand... wait till they hoard dies off and then go find batteries and other non-perishables.

15. Pax Mentis

The "cash stash" is for a simple banking collapse. If civilization as we know it is going belly up, I want to trade every bit of it that I can for things that will be useful or tradable.

Yard Dart likes this.
  16. Mountainman

Would only go down there when it first goes to shit and only if the sheeple don't understand what has happened yet with 5+ heavily armed people in 3 vehicles. Paying with CC or cash because I am not a thief. Weaponry is so we get home!!! The others with me will need food supplies, not myself.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  17. Mountainman

Have my solar setup already active and only want "extra" batteries for the future.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Thunder5Ranch
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. hitchcock4
  8. john316
  9. oil pan 4
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid