10 Questions- Are you Prepared

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Sanitation:
    No one talks about stocking lime, sawdust, cedar shavings or just peat moss to keep the odor down in both your buckets and outhouse if you have to dig an out house.

I think one of the cheapest preps is stocking up on one or more of these items to keep odor down
    • limestone (dolomite in the garden section)
    • peat moss
    • sawdust (they sell big bundles of these at feedstores for horse stalls)
    • cedar shavings (if you live where you can get them)

these are all inexpensive and will certainly save your nose

if you add some lactobacillius (digestive enzymes from healthfood store) to wheat bran and add some sugar, you can ferment your human waste in those 5 gallon buckets that @Motomom34 posted. You just have to put a lid on them and layer the peatmoss with the enzymes and don't open for 2-3 weeks. Then you can add the results to your soil, don't plant anything in that area for 2 additional weeks.

It isn't pretty but its doable.... so to speak.:eek:o_O:p

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Before toilet paper, a little water was all that was needed; poop don't stick to water.

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

4. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Don't forget wood ash...which is good for so many other uses too.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yes that is a good one as well and I think wood ash has lime in it? not sure why wood ash works tbh.

6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

We get a couple of dump truck loads of wood ash(potash) from a source locally every year for the gardens. They are more than happy to get rid of it.

Ganado, Dont and Motomom34 like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have a serious concern for fire prevention and putting out fires.

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In the Alaskan Bush, FIRE is the ONE MAJOR Disaster, everyone dreads..... Once started, it is almost impossible to put out, in a Wood Structure, using what is at hand, around the place. The Wood is usually Old, & Very Dry, and burns very HOT.... Fire takes everything with it, inside and around the Structure.... You can usually survive a Flood, Snow, Wind, Rain, & Earthquake, and still have most of your Preps, intact, if you did your Site Design, Properly, in the first Place.... but a Fire, eats the Whole place, usually... I have a 40# Dry Chem Extinguisher by each Entrance/Exit of the Cabin. (3 of those) I keep a 50# CO2 Extinguisher in the PowerHouse. (Never use a Dry Chem on a Running Diesel Engine) We keep a 20# Dry Chem and a 20# CO2 in each Vehicle. (We have two of those....) Basically we have TWO, of everything, a Primary and a BackUp.

GOG likes this.
  10. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I'm in a similar situation here. It's an extreme wildfire zone and every fire season has entirely too many holding my breath moments.

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Steel Roof on House.... Steel siding on house.... No combustable materials exposed..... is your BEST Chance....

GOG likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Nothing beats prevention most of the time, but if one is ready for intervention the moment trouble strikes, a lot of damage can be averted.
    Often people stand paralyzed ,be it a fire or some other calamity , like deer in head lights .____________________________
    It's ok to be scared, but it's suicidal to do nothing.
    Knowing what to do, the tools and the practice doing it, are the muscle memory of survival.

GOG likes this.
  13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Do you mean me or Mama?

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

For Sanitation, if you are in an area where you have septic tanks, you can still flush with water. (waste of water, though so wait till the bowl is full).

Bugging out on foot is what an ATV is for(one with side by side seating, windshield roof and doors). Covers the alternative evacuation route if the major roads are packed full of cars, blocked with debris, or just plain impassible. A 4X4 may be too big to get off road where there are trails, and not roads.

GOG likes this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I made a bug out /get home cart, I can configure to suit my needs .
    Initially it is for having in the car/truck, and assembling post EMP/CME in the event the car is disabled and away from home.
    I can use it for an injured party and gear ,will handle 300+Lbs.
    It can be reconfigured as a shelter, a bed ,all steel tubing and sockets.
    For practice I haul heavy and bulky stuff around the property that need moved any way like brush and fire wood , just to prove it ,and see just how capable it is.

16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

LOL! debated on answering this. YOU not her. Most women I know can organize, click off a list in seconds when dealing with an emergency. Whoop! feel a thread coming on....

Witch Doctor 01 and Ganado like this.
  17. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I'm not touching this....

Ganado, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Thunder5Ranch
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. fl4848
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Coyote Ridge
  12. Motomom34