19 year old MREs

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by -06, Sep 11, 2012.

1. swinefornicator

swinefornicator Monkey+++ Founding Member

"shelf life"? Thinking more like a "half life", like plutnium. Though I think that has to do with deacy and it appears MRE don't decay? The outer plastic sack/bag seems to be irrelevant. I ate the ones that had some holes in them figurin they may have been compromised, they weren't. I stuff just shy of a couple dozen in a 5 gallon bucket for storage. Catch some plastic in the seal now and again and rip them. So the components themselves are capable of long term storage in the individual wrappers. Mine have been in storage over 10yrs in the buckets in an open storage shed. Freezes evey winter and gets to 110ish at least in the summer. Dang metal roof is like an oven. I'm pretty impressed.

2. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I saw a chart on the shelf life of MREs which, I think, ran from six months to twenty years, depending upon the temperature at which the MREs had been stored.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

When an MRE does go bad, you don't want to be near it...... [OO]

tulianr likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. RJFab
  9. duane
  10. TnAndy
  11. john316
  12. Coyote Ridge
  13. DKR
  14. DKR
  15. apache235
  16. DKR
  17. Ganado
  18. alaskachick
  19. Motomom34