2 Is 1 > 1 is None - Peanut Oil

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Mindgrinder, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Today I nicked a 2 for 1 sale on "organic" peanut oil where I got 10 liters for the price of 5.
    While I'll prolly never have a practical use for 10 liters....I figured in a SHTF scenario, I could make deep fried every-leaf-that's-eatable and every meat you're unsure of or drink the cooking oil for pure fat/protein.

Thoughts?

MG
    @BTPost I thought of you for some weird reason when buying this...but I realize in your mind it's mostly reserved for tools.

Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Might be able to make heating fuel from it, too. Is it too viscous for lamp oil?

3. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

If nothing else, you have the oil to fry a turkey.....or one heck of a fish fry. :)

Kajun

Dawg23, Dunerunner and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Peanut oil has so many more uses then frying.
    Good link:
    Peanut Oil - Oil Health Benefits And Uses

Mountainman and tacmotusn like this.
  5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

turkeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

please explain the tools part ?

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

used oil of any sort is a good rust preventative on tools like shovels, axes, picks, rakes, pruning cutters, etc etc

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

patch lube ?

oldawg likes this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sure. We used to chew on pillow ticking for patches, if that works (and it did) peanut oil should.

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I've noticed that the peanut oil I've used in the past gets kinda sticky after its been heated. Don't know if its just the properties of the oil, or it's a result of the oils from the bird mixed in as well. Wonder if that could result in a problem with bores?

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It's suitable for lots of things, but I don't think metal preservation or storage lube is the best use. It's like a "veggie" based oil in that it will oxidize. So I'd say no, don't use it for preservative after cleaning the tube.

BTW, I took that use on patches for BP patches for round balls, not for cleaning. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

Tully Mars and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Actually I wasn't clear. I was wondering if what I had experienced with the oil becoming sticky might foul a BP bore quicker than they already do if used as bullet lube. My apologies for not being clear.:)

12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

It shouldn't foul the bore used for patched ball. I've heard of some really strange concoctions used both for cleaning patch and ball patch lube. Never saw any damage. Another use for peanut oil is fuel in Lister style diesels. And leaves a more pleasant smell than used motor oil cut with turpentine.

BTPost and Tully Mars like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7