20 lb. Propane Tanks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Surely possible that dot gov is trying to make it easy for sheeple to grasp the concept of volume since they are used to it with motor fuels and milk.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It would be illegal to fill by the Gallon, IF the device used to measure that volume was NOT Certified, and Stickered, by the State Weights & Measures Authority... Which Sticker MUST be affixed to the Metering Device. The same is true for any Weighing Device used to establish how much is being delivered For Sale... This is a NIST Federal Standard, that is adopted by each State, and enforced by State Statute....

Ganado likes this.
  3. ghrit

Weighing systems are a LOT easier to calibrate than volume. Weight does not need corrections for temp or pressure, volume does.

BTPost likes this.
  4. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

*grumble*
    Cost me $32 CDN to fill a 30lbs the other day.

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I refill my small one pounders from my twenty pound bottles. You can get the adapter to do this at wal-mart,the adapter for $16.95 if I remember right. It doesn't take long to get your money back this way.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2017
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have read that people do this but I have never met a person that actually does it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Tried that years ago but more than half of the one-pounders leaked afterwards. Finally decided it wasn't worth the hazard

Gray Wolf, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I have been doing it since the late 80's or thereabouts.

9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Here is my cheat sheet that I go by... I started to purchase 30 lb. tanks but @Motomom34 convinced me that 20s are the way to go for a number of reasons so now, like her, I am on the constant look out for yard sell or etc where someone wants to get rid of their 20 lb tanks (see MM34, I am listening! :))

20 lb. tank = 4.7 gallons propane, weighs 37 lbs. full
    30 lb. tank = 7 gallons propane, weighs 55 lbs. full
    40 lb. tank = 9.4 gallons propane, weighs 72 lbs. full
    100 lb. tank = 23.4 gallons propane, weighs 180 lbs. full

Yard Dart, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yesterday, I filled three Propane Tanks. 2 each 50USG, and one 100USG.... the 80% Fill Meter showed the 50USG tanks were full at 51USG, and the 100USG Tank showed 80% at 103USG.... This was only the second time I have filled Propane Tanks, in the Winter, as I have to use our 1000 USG Propane Delivery Truck, to do so, because there is NO Power for the Big 5000 USG Fixed Tank, to run the Pump, in the winter.... It has been a Learning Experience, figuring out all the Valves and PTO Driven Liquid Pump, but I have it down pat now,,,,

Cruisin Sloth, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When I filled propane tanks at an RV park we opend the 10% valve at the same time and stopped when it began spitting liquid fuel.
    RV's tanks are not removed for filling, usually.
    I did the tanks for the shop as well as my own the same way . we did not even consider weight at all.
    I also fill my 1 Lb bottles with a 5 pounder all the time , in fact I found brass caps for the 1 pounders and they work nicely.
    while filling anything with propane ,

12. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I get the little one pound cans cheap on sale all the time and we never use them. I stoipped buying them after I filled the third large tote. Im collecting 100 pounders now as each 100 pounder is a year of water pumping run for half an hour per week.

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Tully Mars

@Kingfish , any way you could set up a 500 gal or a couple of 250's and cut down on having to have all the smaller bottles?

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Heads up Monkeys- I have 20 lb propane tanks that I get from the propane exchange. Twice now I have had issues with these tanks. Since I have quite a few, mentally I think I am prepared. Last weekend we swapped out tanks on the grill. The new tank was one from a Blue Rhino exchange. I cannot get the valve open. The boys can't either. This will not budge.

I am hoping that I can swap out this full tank for another at zero cost, the receipt is long gone. It made me think that I need to check these tanks when I am purchasing. I do not want to have a prep that I cannot use if I ever need it because I failed to check it.

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. ghrit

I confess that doing those exchanges bothers me intensely. I've bought my own and I watch them fill them to save my wrist from sprains when some gorilla cranks the valve shut. You CAN open those valves rather readily with a strap wrench, or a non sparking beryllium adjustable face spanner. Strap wrench is easy to find, the adjustable non sparking face spanner will be downright hard to find.

Motomom34, Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Bring it by, I'm used to working with pressure and flammable gas!

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have only ever had that happen on high pressure gas cylinders.
    Someone tried to open it, won't open, comes back with a wrench, breaks the valve stem knob off because the gas bottle was left open from the last time they used it.

18. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

matter of leverage - as already mentioned you can use various conventional wrenches to apply force on that tank valve >>>> if you can find one - there is a wrench socket that is made specifically to fit that universal 3 lobe shaped valve handle - never saw one commercially available to buy ....

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Tully Mars

I prefer to fill my own as well.
    That being said, I've picked up several of these tanks off of sites like LetGo for $10-15.00. I check them out, check the dates. If I'm not happy with them I trade them off at a tank exchange for current ones then keep those for refilling.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

peak 1. I have propane stored far away from everything I love. It's an alternative, and easy to use, but because everybody has a gas grill it will be the first to go, likely along with a couple houses from careless use.

As Plan C, you can always add a couple of these, and some late model single mantle lanterns that will run on anything short of pure diesel fuel without much tuning. I'm running Coleman fuel from 1971 without issues and Regular Unleaded Gas that's over six years old.

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Hillbilly549
  2. Kavode
  3. oil pan 4
  4. T. Riley
  5. Southbound
  6. oil pan 4
  7. Tempstar
  8. Tyler Danann
  9. Gator 45/70
  10. hank2222
  11. vegasrandall
  12. Blackjack