20 lb. Propane Tanks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

supposedly it's field proven & effective >>>> add carburetor cleaner to the regular gas and it keeps the Coleman units from clogging up - the cleaner even solvents out the build-up on the unit generator parts .....

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@hot diggity Those Coleman stoves are nice but are $100+. Why are they so expensive & what makes them worth that? This is a serious question. Those are an investment IMO.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I gave $15 for them. :)

They're multifuel, and with two generators can be set up to run on Coleman fuel or kerosene.

Lots of other small stoves that will do as well, and have been doing it for 70 years or more.

These were the last military stoves that I remember. I ALWAYS keep a wet towel handy when running them on keronene. They can get exciting until preheated.

Low production numbers and military contract may account for the elevated prices. A good M1950 will out-perform these for cooking, but require different maintenance.

This video from Logcabinlooms Youtube channel gives a pretty good demo of the M1950 style stove.

Beware when shopping for these that many non-Coleman models are near identical and will almost always have stress cracks in the brass tanks. In a pinch you can swap the stove tank for a larger lantern fount and be in business with more stability and greater fuel capacity. (...and a fat-bottom stove)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. john316

john316 Monkey+++

in middle florida,Tractor Supply FILLS YOUR TANK, but they charge by the gallon,if your 20# tank is empty you get around 4.5 gal. for around $10.00. if your tank is half empty,they top it off and the cost is only around $5.00

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Here's one of my fat bottom stoves. AGM M1941 stove on a Coleman 242C fount.

AGM M1941 with Coleman 242C fount.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Always check valve position by turning in the "close" direction first.
    To do it legally, the fill station MUST be metered. It is usual to charge by the gallon, rather than some mythical partial fill.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In Alaska, we sell Propane by the Pound.... Because the State can't afford the REQUIRED (by Handbook 44) Testing Setup, to test Liquid Propane Dispensers... You stick your Propane Bottle on the scale, Zero the scale and then Fill It... then X the Price per Pound... Easy Piezy

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Sell it by weight using a scale, sounds good to me.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Here, the fill is by the pound, they are filled on a scale to ensure there is expansion space. The gallons are corrected for density (temperature), and sold by the gallon.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

For 20# and some 30# tanks, the 3 lobe valve means it has OPD or an Over full Protection Device (required by law) installed. These tanks will shut themselves off at the proper fill, and take no more. These tanks also have a device to prevent gas escape with an open valve but no appliance connected. In my ao, most places charge a flat fee depending on tabk size. A 20# $x.xx no matter if it is empty or it is only a gallon from full.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Fill in winter colder gets more . I fill all mine here , with a system I built / pump.
    Also use weight of TW plus the tank sixe So TW=81# plus 100 # tank , full is 181 # & spill valve is say that also

12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I have a wet leg on one of our tanks so I fill most of ours here. When I do go to get one filled a lot of the times they toss me the key and let me fill my own. I fill until the white stream starts flowing and then shut it down. I hate the OPD valves. 1st thing I do is gut the valve and reinstall. It then works like the older valves.

oldman11 likes this.
  13. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I got a couple of old and abused 20lb tanks from a neighbor several years ago. They were pre-OPD valves and I knew they could not be refilled. After using up what was in the tanks I took them to the local HomeDepot where they have an ameri-gas kiosk. you don't have to go in the store to buy the replacment tank, just walk up to the kiosk. Got two new tanks for the old ones. I take them to my local ACE hardware store for refilling. I keep two full and one "in use" tank at the hunting cabin, I also keep 4 full and one "in use" tank at home.
    Funny thing, I was at the brother-in-laws for a party. He fired up his grill and it wouldn't stay lit, out of gas. I asked where his spare tank was, "oh, i don't have one, I just go to walmart and swap this out". OK, you do that, while you have a house full of hungry people and your car is blocked in the garage. He decided it was best to keep a spare tank around after that.

Alf60, Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Hillbilly549
  2. Kavode
  3. oil pan 4
  4. T. Riley
  5. Southbound
  6. oil pan 4
  7. Tempstar
  8. Tyler Danann
  9. Gator 45/70
  10. hank2222
  11. vegasrandall
  12. Blackjack