2013 and Beyond SHTF Planning

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

What is in your planning for the year- improvements in home, bunker, weapons, food storage, NBC, water, power, renewable food stuff's and all things prepper/survivalist minded. Maybe the one thing you have on your plan will assist someone with that missing item they need to think of and incorporate.

Things to be reminded of:

SHTF doesn’t generally drop by at the best of times. In fact, SHTF thrives and grows exponentially under more adverse circumstances.
    So, suck it up, put on your boots, and power through it – SHTF doesn’t care and neither can you!
    1. SHTF doesn’t care about inclement weather – snow, hail, tornadoes and hurricanes all just add to the party atmosphere for SHTF.
    2. SHTF doesn’t care that you sprained your ankle, broke your leg or are otherwise less than ambulatory. If you have to bug out without a vehicle, you have to bug out, regardless of your injury status.
    3. SHTF doesn’t care that you decided to start prepping after the trip to Disneyworld (because that trip is expensive!!!!)
    4. SHTF doesn’t care that you are on a boat in the middle of the ocean, regardless of what you paid for the luxury cruise. (Check out recent ill-fated Carnival Cruise of the Triumph if you don’t believe me!)
    5. SHTF doesn’t care that you had planned to get your vehicle repaired. You have to evacuate regardless of the leak from the oil pan, the condition of the brakes and the funny noise in the transmission.
    6. SHTF doesn’t care that the entire family is ill with the stomach flu. The entire family will just have to pause to throw up while bugging out.
    7. SHTF doesn’t care that you need new hiking boots and that you just haven’t had time to get to the store and buy them.
    8. SHTF doesn’t care that you planned to buy some bulk foods with your next paycheck.
    9. SHTF doesn’t care that you always use electronic banking. If the ATMS are down and you have no cash, you cannot buy anything.
    10. SHTF doesn’t care that you used all your ammo at the range and Wal-Mart has been out for the past month.
    11. SHTF doesn’t care that the grocery store is closed because of a power outage and you only have a can of peas and some saltine crackers in the house.
    12. SHTF doesn’t care that you are wearing high heels when your car plummets to the bottom of a ravine – you still have to climb out.
    13. SHTF doesn’t care that the pharmacies are closed because of a pandemic and that you have no OTC or herbal medicines at home – if you catch the virus, you will suffer through it without medicine to treat it. And so will your kids.
    14. SHTF doesn’t care that your truck is almost out of gas and the local gas stations have closed because of the disaster. If you have to bug out, you may end up walking instead of driving.
    15. SHTF doesn’t care that you are depressed because you just broke up with your spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend. S happens when S happens.
    16. SHTF doesn’t care that you have made a rock solid plan to get in shape - as soon as the weather warms up.
    17. SHTF doesn’t care that you are visiting your in-laws, the most unprepared people on the planet.
    18. SHTF doesn’t care that you had planned to get the propane tank refilled and now the propane trucks aren’t running.
    19. SHTF doesn’t care that your wood is not dry.
    20. SHTF doesn’t care that you have 300 pounds of beans and rice but failed to plan on a way to cook them.
    21. SHTF doesn’t care that you don’t know how to cook over an open fire without inflicting 2nd degree burns on yourself.
    22. SHTF doesn’t care if you have only a week’s supply of toilet paper – if the crisis lasts longer than a week, things will be progressively less pleasant regardless of your intention to purchase more Charmin.
    23. SHTF doesn’t care you planned to reinforce your door frame and install a metal security door – if thugs arrive to invade your home, your hollow core door will serve as a minor inconvenience instead of a deterrent.
    24. SHTF doesn’t care if you believe the fecal matter is headed towards the oscillating device or whether you think it’s a conspiracy theory.
    25. Whatever your excuse may be, you may rest assured, it could easily be on this list. And SHTF won’t care about that either.
    SHTF Plan - When the Shit Hits The Fan, Don't Say We Didn't Warn You.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  2. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Well yard dart what are your plans ...???

Perhapps some us not so experienced preppers can learn from you well seasoned preppers...

3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I always have a pair of aquasox in my truck, and am pretty adept at covering just about every sort of ground imaginable in them, with maybe the exception of a chollo patch. Those things are really awesome; light weight, flexible, and made to run over reefs so they do a good job of protecting your soles from rocks and sticks.

Heh that reminds me of playing The Sims. If you let them anywhere near a stove before they've gotten some cooking skill points racked up, they always set themselves and the house on fire.

Something that struck me the other day, courtesy of a bizarre 2 am pizza and creme soda induced nightmare, was that we have no way of communications if the cells go down. It is understood to meet at home should something ever happen, but I'm thinking I'm going to pick us up a couple of CB radios for the trucks. It's just something that's never really been on my radar.

mardec, Yard Dart and KAS like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Kas- currently working on a safe storage room in the house and driving towards some alternative power solutions- solar planning at this time and an improved generator solution. Another project this spring is a rain catchment system to supply about 250+ gallons.
    What do you have going on as well?

5. Yard Dart

There are some good threads within the Monkey regarding communications and well worth reading for reference to good options to your need to communicate post cell phone. I am as well, working on this issue with some new radios @ BT Post enlightened me to that will fill the job.

ditch witch likes this.
  6. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

also have all the tanks for the water storage {for drinking and waterin the plats and animals}
    Putting a new roof on the garage to add the water cathchment system ...
    i have founfd a bunch of solar panels i can pick up for next to nothing but im trying to figure out a plan on making them work ...

basicly the same things you got going ...
    ME and the wife are both into prepping its just my ideas of what we need and her idea is to totaly different things...

but i cant argue with her to much cause everytime a hurrican hits she is home alone with the kids and im in another counrty and she makes out just fine ....
    i

7. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

also a fence across the front of the properity {got a new petifile in the area}
    just had my pond dug ... now to stock it ..and some type of filter oxygenater system...
    Also got the garden going somewhat...
    chickens and rabbits...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7