.22 has more stopping power than a .45?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by C.T.Horner, Aug 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Deadliest to who, You or the other guy.....

Silversnake, kellory and C.T.Horner like this.
  2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

With my mind lately that would be a toss up! LOL!

They say when you get old the mind is the first thing to go. And I can't for the life of me remember what that second thing was!

I seem to spend more time in "edit" correcting a post than I do writing the damn thing

tulianr likes this.
  3. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

This is why I like multiple S&W M&P 22's (we like the full frame with the same ergonomics/manual of arms as the large caliber S&W M&P's) and Ruger 10/22 Takedowns readily available for family members who like easy recoil with long sight radius. For me I like the Mossberg 930 Blackwater semi-auto 12 Ga with #6 shot with Glock 30 45ACP JHP's for me.

----

NRA Life Member; also member of Gun Owners of America of America,
    NRA-PVF | PVF Home
    , Second Amendment Foundation Second Amendment Foundation Online, Home | Calguns FoundationCalguns Foundation, California Rifle and Pistol Association | , Gun Owners of California, NSSF - National Shooting Sports Foundation, Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, Permies: a big crowd of permaculture goofballs, Survival Podcast Member Support Brigade, Permaculture Homesteader

westernredoubt - YouTube
    American Redoubt (AmericaRedoubt) on Twitter
    Jefferson Franklin (Redoubt) - Google+
    American Redoubt | Facebook

4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I seriously thought GK would check in on this subject.

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Lol!

Pax Mentis likes this.
  6. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

If we added a "armored wheelbarrow" tag I bet he would!!!

7. kellory

I know assassins used .22's, both for the scrambled brains effect, and also for less noise, easier to conceal, ect, but for a stare down with an assailant, I think the size of the bore, has a direct correlation to the size of their courage.

8. kellory

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVI1_WOnOxTzhg0FMUSEeTNaEBZnP0ntelzag9AhhgtNFa4jM9 ;)"Smile, and wait for the flash"....

9. Pop_45

Pop_45 Monkey

The late great Col Cooper was fond of saying "The best weapon to have in a fight is the one you have with you."

10. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

My question would be mow many of the .22 rounds were fired from rifles? Or did they compare 22 pistol to 45 pistol. The impact of a round fired from a rifle would be much more devastating due to complete powder burn plus the inherent great accuracy of a rifle.

tulianr and BTPost like this.
  11. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I agree the main thing is your training and accuracy. I would rather have one well placed .22 shot than a wild .45 shot. I have often thought that if it was ever needed my wife could handle the 10/22 well enough to be effective at range. I recently read a article about how the IDF used 10/22's for riot control, they would use it to shoot the knee's of the trouble makers, they had to stop because they found out it was too effective and deadly.

But, my main issues with a .22 is penetration, what if the perp has several layers of clothing and a coat on? Or reliability, I have never had a set of guns jam as much as a my .22's do, some ammo feeds much better but I would have to get some serious no failure training time with any .22 before I would feel safe using it as a defensive weapon.

In close quarters I am also much more worried about the person becoming quickly incapacitated rather than the shot being fatal now or 30 minutes later.

tulianr likes this.
  12. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Penetration on the 22 is surprising. I have shot up a number of old ballistic vests. 45 stop sometimes without penetrating the outer layer. The 22 goes deep into the material. Its an ice pick vs a sledge hammer.

13. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

"Changing hearts and minds"
    Two to the heart, one to the mind

I wear that shirt, it often freaks people out

Not always distance, but time on target is key as well.
    First one out of the holster/pocket/conceal is most committed to going home.

As for stopping power, I think perception is more important than penetration.
    If you are perceived as being able to carry out the task, penetration is implied to all but the most seasoned combatant

Unless of course the firearm is waving like a leaf in a windstorm.....back to perception

tulianr and STANGF150 like this.
  14. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

Please cite any instance anywhere that a .45 ACP round failed to penetrate outer clothing.

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions of what actually goes on in a gunfight. Your not going to psyche anyone out with your deliberate gun handling skills. It will usually happen too fast for that.

What the OP posted boils down to statistical averages. If there are 100 people shot with handguns, 87 are .22's, (the .22 is the most widely owned firearm) 10 are by .45, and three are other calibers, statistically the .22 is more deadly. In reality, it is not more effective, it's just used more, thereby jumping it's numbers.

If you carry a firearm for self defense purposes, carry the best, biggest and baddest you can handle and use effectively. To paraphrase on of the above posters, I'd rather hit them with a .45 than hit them with a .22.

tulianr likes this.
  15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I used to have occasional jams with my 10-22. I was using hi capacity aftermarket magazines. As you say it was noticeable enough, you wouldn't want to stake your life on it. That problem has disappeared for me with the advent of a quality RUGER Hi Capacity Magazine. JMHO, but for me the jams are gone. Try one and see what you think.

16. C.T.Horner

C.T.Horner Monkey

I will let an expert explain it.
    http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2013/01/stopping-power-myths-legends-and-realities.aspx

Not true, while the statistics do have the ability to sway the outcome. The numbers are solid. The percentages used are just that, percentages. So your math is wrong.

You gotta hit them first, before size matters. If I can safely and quickly bring a .22 into action, before my assailant gets his .50 Desert Eagle into action. I will likely win the day.
    Ask yourself why the Smith and Wesson model 1 was so popular with soldiers on both sides of the American Civil War. For those who don’t know the Model one was chambered in .22 SHORT.

UncleMorgan and cdnboy66 like this.
  17. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

So, you believe and advocate using a .22 as a self defense round, to the exclusion of all others?

18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

[pop]

19. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Quick! Sumbody Roll Out A Tactical Wheelbarrow!! LoL

20. C.T.Horner

C.T.Horner Monkey

NO! That is not what I said or implied!
    Show one instance where I stated anything that could be construed as that.

For the record:
    I believe that any gun is acceptable if one can apply it. To force a small woman to tote a Kimber .45 is foolish, and reckless. If she is happy carrying a .22 snubby, and can competently deploy it, I encourage it. That is all I am saying. To tell her that she will be raped or killed if she doesn’t have a big bore handgun is dishonest at best. The statistics prove otherwise.
    Nice try at a straw man but I ain’t buying it.
    CT.

Added for clarity I DO understand you feel the same way. As you stated the same thing in your post.
    “If you carry a firearm for self defense purposes, carry the best, biggest and baddest you can handle and use effectively.”
    All I am saying is if a .22 is the biggest and baddist one can handle, you are good to go!
    CT.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  1. natshare
  2. Oddcaliber
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Brokor
  5. Brokor
  6. RouteClearance
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Oddcaliber
  9. Oltymer
  10. OldDude49