.22 has more stopping power than a .45?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by C.T.Horner, Aug 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

did you also that a 22 will go through kevlar--its true a deputy sheriff here told a class for concealed carry that he would rather be missed with a 45 and hit with a 22

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

You might want to closely read what you wrote and edit it to say what you mean. As it is. it's a bit confusing if not contradictory.

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Did you maybe mean to say this? Did you also (insert: state or say) that a 22 will go through Kevlar? It's true. A deputy sheriff here told a class for concealed carry that he would rather (insert: take one in the vest with a 45 instead of a 22 which often will manage to penetrate). ..... ?

4. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

As I stated in another forum, the mathematical formula for calculating stopping power is as follows. Stopping power = (fact/bulls&%t) x opinion. Disregarding the fear factor from being shot, the ability to one shot stop an assailant most reliably results in disrupting the central nervous system (brain or superior segment of the spinal cord) with either permanent or temporary cavity. A .45 has bout 4 times more permanent cavity than a .22, increasing the likelyhood of disrupting critical CNS tissue. A .357 makes a larger temporary cavity. A soft point rifle makes a huge cavity.

kellory likes this.
  5. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Thanks. I will try that and see.

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

To be exact, The Ruger 10/22 BX-25 Magazine. Midway USA has them for $24.99 right now

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I like sticks and knives because I know how to use sticks and knives. Plus if I am threatened and they are close enough for me to have to use sticks and knives, I would have a better chance of justifying it after. So long as I don't dispose of the body. ;)

8. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

Are we talking .22 as in .22 Short or .22 as in .22 BR Remington? Maybe even .223 Remington?

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

There is only one most common, most popular caliber in the world. ..... .22LR
    More people own or have access to a rifle or pistol in this caliber. Fact!

10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Amazing 5 pages of posts and until post #49, no one said .22LR. I was curious and reread them all. .22Short mentioned twice I think. The rest ..... just 22 or .22

11. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

I can't say I read them all. But, although I have not seen any statson the matter I would say .223 or 5,6 NATO is more common on firearms than .22LR, but as mentioned, this is only what I think.

12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

considering centerfire rifle only, I would bet 7.62X39 as chambered for sks's and ak's as well as others, would beat out .223rem/5.56nato by the numbers. jmho
    with regard to .22LR, the Ruger 10/22 is the most popular/prolific 22 rifle in the world. And since .223rem as a commercial round has only been around since the 60's, and the .22LR beats that by at least close to 100 years, and since almost every firearms manufacturer makes at least one .22LR model (you can't say that for .223rem), and has since the 1800's, I would have to bet the .22LR as most prolific caliber weapon, beats the .223rem/5.56nato hands down by the numbers in circulation. just sayin ....

13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

14. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

22 Long Rifle is quite simply the most popular, common cartridge in the world. In production since 1887, .22LR is manufactured in such massive amounts for such a low cost that a box of over 500 rounds can be had for as low as $20. A massive variety of rifles and pistols are manufactured in this cartridge, and it is easily the cheapest. Of course, this all comes at a price: .22LR is not especially powerful, and contrary to the popular myth often repeated from the Zombie Survival Guide the round rarely actually ricochets inside the skull. While excellent for small game, .22LR rounds will rarely stop an advancing or attacking enemy quickly. That's not to say the wounds won't be fatal; many a misguided youth has carelessly fired off the "weak" rounds and fatally injured a friend or bystander, but the chance of dropping an enemy immediately with one or two shots is very small.
    source; Common calibers - Zombie Survival & Defense Wiki

tulianr likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

22lr Lethality Revisited - 300 Yard Ballistics Test - Clear Ballistics

tulianr and kellory like this.
  16. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Haven't read every post in this thread, but wanted to say: I think the 2.5% difference in stopping power pretty much goes away and caliber ceases to be an issue when you shoot the guy five times.

Ganado likes this.
  17. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Perhaps you should have been with me when a fool decided to run when it was clear that I was in charge of a .308 rifle.

Yes he survived but spent a few months in rehab. If it(the gun) won't stop them with one shot then you need a larger caliber or faster feet.

18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ah, It seems to me that Projectile Placement is 95% of the Answer and Caliber is 5% of the answer.....

19. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Unless your perp is inside a vehicle, right caliber for the job varies by the cover that may be used to evade capture.

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Evading is for me. Running is for them. The idea is end the threat by whatever means are required.

oldawg likes this.
  1. natshare
  2. Oddcaliber
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Brokor
  5. Brokor
  6. RouteClearance
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Oddcaliber
  9. Oltymer
  10. OldDude49
  11. AD1