26 X 5 Minute Prepping Projects.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by chelloveck, Jun 24, 2015.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

GrayGhost, BlueDuck, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Great post @chelloveck I have a question re:
    12. Locate your utility shutoff valves and review the instructions for turning them off. Place a shut-off tool by the door nearest to them

I bought one of those prepper tools that has a gas shut off. But from everything I have learned if you shut your gas off only the gas company can turn it back on. So I question when do you know when to shut it off? In my thinking if SHTF then when you shut it off their will be no one to turn it back on for a long time.

KAS likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bear in mind that Aussie rules might well be different than in your location. So far as shutting off the gas goes, there are any number of reasons that might be necessary, say like if fire is threatening. The gasco will probably NOT ask you to do it unless they know of a certainty that you (or whoever) know what and how. There is a right way to turn it back on that involves purging the line, and you need to know what you're about to do that. It's a safety issue.

In my MT head, if SHTF has really happened, gas might be the least of the problems, might not even be available. Dunno.

4. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I was a civil engineering construction inspector for ten years so I know what to do and not do;
    When you smell gas, do not turn lights or anything else on or off (spark hazard) open all the windows in the house and basement. Open the walk out to the basement if you have one. If you have an outdoors shut off, close it. Call 911 and your utility provider. STAY OUT OF THE HOUSE UNTIL THE UTILITY COMPANY CKECKS IT !

Turning gas off; after an earthquake especially if you find crack in your foundation or if there is visible structural damage, if a sinkhole appears in your street in a radius of several blocks, if a construction crew has damaged a gas line near your house, if a vehicle has struck your house and there is visible structural damage.

Re: Turning gas service back on, all gas appliances need to be purged if air and the process may vary. I ran a quick search on " How do I purge the gas line to my house ? " Procedures vary as do local building codes. If anyone has a gas utility line do your own research. Best wishes.

Frankly speaking I would never use gas from an underground utility line. Leaking gas can travel hundreds of yards along the exterior of the pipe, further if the soil is sandy. Gas may enter through cracks in your foundation and settle in the lowest point. When the concentration for an explosion reaches the lower limit of flammability (varies as to which gas) all it takes is one spark and it goes BOOM !

5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

If your gas is shut off some just put out the word .. someone will know how to put it back on !
    and city workers are always looking to make a extra buck////.... money talks

Please dont tell me this would be stealing or dishonest

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

About 30 years ago, we had nat gas service. I spotted bubbles in a puddle on the outlawn in front of the house and called it in. Before they found the leak and fixed it, they had to dig up about 50 feet of trench. It DOES travel in backfilled soils. At the time, the pipe was around 20 years old.

BTPost, NotSoSneaky, KAS and 2 others like this.
  7. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

thats some good info !!!
    Althought i dont have gas at my house they do have it down the road ... so it could definatly make it to my house !!!

8. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Have propane out here. Bought my own tank and the feed line, layed it in a trench and put in the service line to the appliances. Propane company had to conect it to the regulator at the house and pressure tested the system. Purging was up to me.. Right proud of myself. Did not have one of those Alzheimer moments and forget to bubble test all joints and close off the valves before lighting the pilot lights.. I never had natural gas service, so do not know the process involved.. However, safety and the lives residing in that structure dictates defering to the expert's..
    Now, what if there are no experts available after shtf?

kellory likes this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Read.:)

10. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I don't know how many times I've shut my gas off AND turned it back on. I'm a big boy, I know what appliances need the pilot light re-lit and which ones are automatic.

I moved my water heater and switched it to gas from electric. Told no one but my wife and a friend that helped me put it in place..

As for the service from our gas company, lets say I don't think they are the brightest. A couple of years ago I would get a whif of NG from the side of the garage that the meter is on. Called to report it, nothing happened. A couple of months later, the smell is getting worse. So, I take some soapy water and douse the meter and all joints. I find the leak and call to report EXACTLY where the leak is. Finally someone comes out. I show them where the leak is (using the bubbles), they confirm with a gas detector, then proceed to check the ground for leaks. Satisfied that the only leak is the one I found, they put in a work ticket for the next day (I didn't really care as the leak was before the meter). When I get home expecting to see the valve that was leaking replaced, nope, they just spread a bunch of tar like goo over the hole thing and called it a day. WTF?

Looking at that list, I would have combined the "using old plastic juice containers for water" and the one about freezing them, and I would NEVER suggest using milk containers. Old soda bottles (and the like) are the best, and our freezer is full of them (juice bottles actually).

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have a dozen grapefruit juice plastic bottles, clean, frozen, and stacked in the freezer door. They pack flat, fit the coolers, fridge, and freezer, and have used them during the last power outage to keep the fridge cold. Being clear, sunlight can be used for UV.

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7