3 Days And Empty Shelves, Just Like In The Stories

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

We had a pretty fierce snow storm here in SE NM last Saturday and Sunday. It was so bad that the roads in and out of town were closed for 3 days.

Sure enough, at the stores on Monday, the shelves were starting to get pretty bare. Milk and dairy, fresh veggies, meat counters, and popular canned goods were either almost gone or were totally gone. Not a head of cabbage to be found in either of the 2 grocery stores in our little town. 72 Hours was all it took. Wednesday I went in to do some shopping, expecting to find almost nothing fresh. I wasn't disappointed...mostly canned stuff and lots of empty spaces in the canned veggies, canned meat and canned fruit aisles.

I talked to a couple of folks that worked at each store and they had the same story.....trucks couldn't roll due to weather, so shelves were empty.

Just like in the stories.

Kajun

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

And that is how the violence will start.....over a can of beans for the hungry kids at home, once shtf.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yup, first place we went before we continued on to our home was the store for fresh goods. Being before our snow storm the shelves were full but a surprising number of Camo clothed folks were shopping on that Sunday evening.

4. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

A buddy down south owned a grocery store and he said they had a three day turn over on nearly everything in the store. New shipment every three days and then a different truck with different stuff the next day and then a third truck the third and then it started over again. Place I shop always seems to be out or low on what I want and the last time the guy said he was sorry that he was out of stuff that I wanted nearly every time I came in, but he had four cases on order for the next day, but it will be next week before I head in again so that does me no good.

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

It is important to note, that we as a Monkey community in general...... are way outside the norm of society. Most folks in this nation, have little more than a couple of days food in their fridge at any time with no canned goods or other stores put away. If and when things go sideways and "we" have to fend for ourselves due to shortages or flat out empty stores, there will be masses of folks hungry/dying.... and willing to do most anything to survive. When we discuss bushcraft, firearms, gardening or what have you on this forum.... we are discussing our survival... and especially after those that have failed to plan, die off or have been eliminated as a threat when they try to loot what you have.

Learn, discover, practice, procure and plan....... that day is unknown when you will need to be ready.... Murphy never calls ahead!!

This reminds me of a couple of great threads.... thought I would share it here as it does relate to the original context.... and then some!!

ferFAL Some first hand experience A brief story of Argentina | Survival Forums

Sarajevo Survival Guide | Survival Forums

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016
    Taku, TXKajun, Georgia_Boy and 10 others like this.
  6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Saw the same thing after hurricane Ike is southeast Texas. Nothing to buy at any price.

7. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I hope y'all have some food back there this week...I plan to pass through SE New Mexico probably a week from now.
    [YD]

UncleMorgan and Dunerunner like this.
  8. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I grew up in places with bad winters. Blizzards/whiteouts are not unfamiliar to me. And my first winter in the Seattle area, it was 1996 I believe, I knew that just after Christmas we were in for a winter storm, I saw the signs, so I went across the street to the store and bought plenty of stuff to just stay home for a few days, and when the storm hit, I was amazed at the lack of understanding of proper winter behavior. I suppose that's why I started prepping, just an expansion of what we did to survive bad winters. Like you NEVER drive anywhere without blankets/sleeping bags, food/water, and shovels in your vehicle. Doesn't matter if you are only going 5 miles or less. Nowdays I feel unprepared if we only have a month's worth of supplies. I don't understand people who have to go to the store everyday or they have no food.

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Might ask him to order you a case (or whatever you need) and hold it for you. I've done this in the past for different items and most of the time it's not a problem,especially if you prepay.

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

And despite this, the majority of people will still expect the supply trucks to keep rolling and grocery markets to continue stocking food.

pearlselby, Gator 45/70, GOG and 7 others like this.
  11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Because they have no concept as to where the food comes from. Many think it is warehoused at the back of the store.

12. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Yep, I call those people the 'supermarket society', who believe that food comes from the store.

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

"Silly Rabbit, Trix are for Kids!" .... And come from the Grocery Store, along with Milk, and Eggs.... Everyone KNOWS that.......

wagnerd, Gator 45/70, TXKajun and 3 others like this.
  14. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

A (white) school teacher got fired pretty much on the spot a few years ago because a (black) child argued with her when she tried to explain to the class where milk came from. The black kid wasn't buyin' any of them racis' lies about cows--he knew for a fact that milk came from milk trucks. His mother was very incensed that the teacher argued with the child about that and immediately played the race card. End of job. (Sometimes it sucks to be white.)

The question in my mind is whether or not the mother thought(thinks) that milk comes from milk trucks, too.

The absolute minimum amount of storage food every family should have is three months. However, that is also the most dangerous amount to have because it will only carry a family through the start of the bad times, and will run out just as the situation goes from bad to worse, followed by worst. Three years is probably enough, because the mass die-off will be pretty much over and the survivors will have had enough time to start re-building in the aftermath of TEOTWAWKI.

Take the time, make the space, spend the cash, and keep it all a deep, dark secret.

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This was a snow storm. This thread tells me that three days is a stretch. Many people will not go prepare when a storm is headed their way. Most know that in 3 days things should be cleared up and all is fine. So if a true disaster/breakdown did hit I think things would be wiped out in 24 hours, definitely less then 48 hours. This storm was on during the holidays. IMO most households are pretty well stocked during the holidays because people are feasting, so extra was on hand.

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

The wife wanted shrimp on Christmas eve. (At the last minute. Of course) and I went three places to find it. First two had already closed, and Walmart was a mad house. Lines held several hundred people, all lines were open, and shelves had been hit pretty hard. (And this was in good weather).
    I don't think Walmart would last 24hrs in a real disaster.

17. Tully Mars

pearlselby and kellory like this.
  18. Tully Mars

I had all of my daughters convinced that chocolate milk came from the black cows, Strawberry milk came from the reddish ones and regular milk came from the white ones. LOL, they each believed it for a number of years when they were young, and then helped me convince their younger sibling as time went on.

GOG, Yard Dart, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

9b4d87e980338ec7604a369cdc7f28d5.

pearlselby, GOG, Yard Dart and 5 others like this.
  20. Tully Mars

I think I've told this story on the monkey before, but back in '96 and '98 I believe the front range got hit with spring blizzards Both times we had an honest 6 feet of snow at our home. Both times we were the only home for blocks around that had power and heat. It took me 6 GALLONS of fuel in my snow blower to clear the driveway and walkway. After that the girls and I made snow caves and rode our 4 wheelers all over just having fun. We were stopped numerous times by folks asking if we would take them to the nearest King Soupers. So much so that I made the girls put their quads back in the garage. I didn't like the look we were getting when I turned these folks down.

Roads were shut down for about a week.
    I learned the value of black out curtains and improving the muffler systems on gensets that a person plans on using during a power outtage/PSHTF. We suddenly had a lot of new "friends" and then disgruntled people when they were either turned down or the door wasn't answered. Some "neighbors" never forgot how my family was warm and they weren't, and I've never forgotten how fast people can turn.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34
  12. Meat