48 Hours.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by M118LR, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I love mental exercises but I do need clarification. All transportation has been disrupted- does that mean vehicles are unable to drive (emp attack) or highways jammed due to people fleeing? City folks get skittish when it rains or snows. Just having to use the windshield wipers creates a traffic nightmare.

M118LR, Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  2. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

If its emp I grab my crap put on my sneakers and husband and I walk the 6 miles home. Then I see if my home electrical system survived and if my generac came on.

If its during school year my kids walk home. The school is a mile down the road. As long as they can leave they will be fine. If they aren't home by the time hubby and I get home one of us goes over to get them.

The main thing for stuff like that would be some of my friends who work farther from their homes. They might need to visit me for a day or 2.

Now when I have to travel long distances for drill weekend I always have my ghb with me as well as a sleeping bag and some other things.

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

AH HA! So you were one of THOSE people![tinfoil101]

Dunerunner and mysterymet like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I will look into getting my hands on some of these. Hell, we could use them when we go to town in the summer time as we always take a ice box with us to throw the meat and etc. in. We're just using milk jugs now.

@Merkun @Airtime Thanks! I never thought of this! This is why it is important to have these discussions. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Tully Mars likes this.
  5. Tully Mars

Sass got us some of those cold packs that are used for the coolers that her company used for the transport of blood and donor transplants. They work very well.

6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Ok let's change it up a bit...

Suppose you hear on your space weather observer website that a huge CME is headed towards earth and expected impact is 18hrs. Note: normal news media will not report on this for another 6 hours because they are waiting for the gov to tell them what to do. This is carrington event or larger size event headed our way. You have a 6 hour head start on the sheeple due to Brokor and his space weather site. What do you do and why? Also, maybe throw some wrenches into your normal plan if possible to make if more interesting.

7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

"Blue Ice" is pretty commonly available for sticking into lunch boxes and the like. Off hand, I don't know the temperature ratings, but they work well for keeping your lunch "just right" on hot days outside. They would become a pretty pricey for a freezer full, and would not have the (potential) secondary use as drinking water.

There's also "ProPak" refrigerant gel, works well, too. (Might be sim to Sass's cold packs.)
    Gel Packs and Specialty Refrigerants for Shipping

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Pull All the Electronic AVRs from the Gensets, all the HF Radio Gear, and stick it in the EMP Proof Storage, and wait out the arrival of the Aurora... Hope the Wx is nice, so we can see the Aurora... When it dissipates, put everything back in place, and see who else made it thru the Storm...

Bandit99, Tully Mars and mysterymet like this.
  9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Been saving them.

10. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

OpSec. Not going to tell you.

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I dont work away from home but could be caught as far as 60 miles from home. If that were the case we (my wife and I) WOULD BE FISHING SOMEWHERE. If it were an EMP and the car or truck would not start we would lock everything up and take her knee walker out , shoulder our get home bags and start walking home. I would be Armed with a handgun. Our packs include fire starter, water filtration, food bars , water, extra ammo. We rarely travel any more as her disability worries us for being out on the road. She would be forced to use her Knee Walker and stay on concrete to move. I am building her a small compact bike that takes down for ease of storage in the boat. I one hour drive is about a 4 day walk home. I think we could make around 20 miles a day maybe more on concrete. But again we rarely travel anymore so the chances of being caught away from home are pretty slim maybe once or twice a year.

If at home, like others have said. Fire the generator and try and get some news. If the media is blacked out? Start long term plan. Fill water cans and then shut down going dark at night. Ge the defense teams set up and running. Start patrols but the most important is to listen for news. Knowing what has happened is key to knowing what to do. It all builds from there. Not going set force multipliers or establish a perimeter until we know for sure its a shtf event.

12. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Well, different areas would have specific concerns. Examples: Folks living along a coast line might have just checked in to work and suddenly there is an earthquake close offshore and they are rushing to the top of the nearest building to escape the rapidly approaching tsunami. Folks that have to cross bridges might find themselves suddenly flooded by a flash flood or broken dam/levies. Those near GEO fault lines may suddenly find ravines where roads once stood. But an EMP event shouldn't effect the items within your vehicle, just the vehicles performance. But I guess unforeseen sudden flooding with a shelter in place order, is about the most universal.
    The 48 hours is usually the point when you begin to make your worst decisions when thirst/dehydration is taking it's toll. Many monkeys may have weeks worth of water in their vehicles, but not even take a full days ration into work with them. When the parking lot becomes a couple of fathoms of flash flood, now what?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Tully Mars

Well first things first: Ensure that the proper shielding is in place around the generac and the kegerator[beer]

Kidding aside, similar to Bruce. While I don't have a dedicated EMP proof building, we do have smaller containers in the shelter set up for that. I would add any daily use stuff I could to those containers. Inform wifeypoo to make it a short day and to plan on a few days off. Swap out/charge the battery on the old jeep if needed and fire it up and drive it around the place to get it used to running again. It isn't used much at all, and I've never gotten around to putting a maintainer on it. Try and get Step son to leave his patrol Tahoe in the lot and drive home one of the surplus Humvees they have just sitting in back of their station.
    Then double check that kegerator...

mysterymet and M118LR like this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Water isn't really an issue here, and I have a pretty good handle on finding food. Don;t usually carry food with me, at not stored, because it'll go bad so fast in the heat.

M118LR likes this.
  15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Alright....
    Assuming now that I am just an old retired person... :cautious:

Sensitive electronics go into Mylar bags and then into a freezer in the garage (unplugged, dried out and clean of course). I attach the plug to a ground rod I have close by...

Light off the propane refrigerator freezer in the 5th wheel and prepare to move food when required.

Prepare to relocate to the 5th wheel, if necessary.

Move the two 105AH 12V Deep Cycle batteries and 2KW inverter to the house, collect and deploy the oil lamps and battery operated lanterns.

All defenses readied.

Fill the bathtub 100 gal. water pod, Fill the six 5 gallon polycarbonate bottles in the brewery and the three 30 gallon brew kettles.

Quietly go to the local store and purchase some more butane and propane fuel canisters for portable cookers.

Disconnect the batteries in the truck and car.

Plenty of food prepped for over 6 months, on Septic so no issues there, it rains here so water will be available eventually, and 8 full 40# propane bottles.

16. M118LR

OMG, just how many monkeys take it for granted that they can do 72 honest hours of survival ???
    Perhaps I have underestimated the audience?
    All those monkeys that have previously accomplished 72 hours of E&E Battlefield Survival please raise the BS Flag. I promise not to take offense, but I'm awaiting all those BS Flags.....................

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  17. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

If I have made it to my office and this occurs I have enough food in my sedan to last 48hrs quite comfortably along with spare clothes and other essentials. Should it be the case I have to walk back home (19 km on the road route, shorter if I move across parks and such, and a significant river crossing)my daily attire is mostly suited to the task but I also have a change of clothes into something more comfortable/subtle in the sedan. I can bunk at work with no issue. Should the dead rise ;) while I am at work I can also happily access the tools to manage this. If I am out of metro there are also shelter/sleeping/water and fire provisions. 48hrs is what we did as kids for fun up in the scrub :)

18. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I work at a hospital. I'll stay here and help as much as I can until relief arrives in a few days. After that I can go home fairly securely.

I'll sort my gear in the car, office, and GHB and ditch what I don't need. I'll walk a mile to the Trinity River levee and head south. If that route is unavailable I will take the RR tracks south.

The walk will take a couple of days but should be mostly deserted. I've put eyes on much of the routes already and have maps printed off.

M118LR likes this.
  19. M118LR

I still keep hearing I've got everything I need in the vehicle, but all the vehicles in the parking lot are either under water or swept away! Hopefully your up on the workplaces roof watching like sitting on the dock of the bay.

1. ED GEiN
  2. ED GEiN
  3. ED GEiN
  4. john316
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. ED GEiN
  9. HK_User
  10. DarkLight
  11. Motomom34
  12. Yard Dart