4x4 - how to use it

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by kckndrgn, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Yep....we added it prior to the trip into the Territory in 2008. Did more than a few deep'ish water crossings there...(the croc warning signs just as you drive in add a little to the experience if you know what I mean). The snorkel is also very useful out here to let the truck breathe a little fresh air from above the kicked up fine shyte that is so bloody common here.

Andy

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bloke's printed them backwards -- :lol:

3. Andy the Aussie

Nope....steering wheel is on the CORRECT side in my truck ... ;)

4. ghrit

Damn. Was hoping to fish in somebody unaware --. [rofllmao]

5. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

same hill, different days [gone]
    Chuck's pics 205.JPG Chuck's pics 234.JPG

6. Andy the Aussie

"Nice" mud you have going on there Colt.....;)

7. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

8. dmp55

dmp55 Monkey+

I have a 06 Chevy 1/2 ton Silverado extended cab with the Z71 package. Its light duty and has auto hubs and puxh buttons on the dash for the transfer case. As such, besides the 4 high, 4 low, 2 high neutral options it has an auto mode. This mode as explained to me senses wheel slip by computer to send power to the appropriate wheel. We, I have used this system when traveling several hundred miles each way to visit family in a different state, traveling through some storms that wound up closing the interstates. I never experienced any wheel slip, maybe just lucky. They told me when I bought it that it had 14 computers, first time I've popped for extended warranty, a fellow owner has same model and had a module go out, no warranty $900.00 Bill. Enjoy.

9. ghrit

Ya know, with all the good stuff in this thread for K-drag, we forgot what might be the most important. maddd 4X4 is good in that it adds 2 driving wheels for go. But, and this is critical, it does NOT add anything for stop.

10. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yes, I am aware of that!!

Thanks all for the links and the info, lots to read and review.

I did get a chance to try out my 4x4 last weekend. Nothing spectacular, just drove through a horse pen to get to a pile of manure, loaded up and got out. I coulda stayed in 4x2, but I figured what the heck. Nothing like have a truck for one week then loading it up with SHIT!![lolol]

11. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Very true. Drag chute anyone?

Oh this reminds me of something important to keep in mind. Generally speaking, 2-wheel drive is 1 and 4-wheel drive is 2. Unless you have locking differentials, that is. Even a limited slip rear end works out to no more than about 2.5-wheel drive (at best). This isn't as important for wet & slippery road situations but can be very important when running trails or playing in the mud. I have seen many a full size truck with limited slips get stuck traversing low spots and small ditches when approached at angles. Knowing the correct approach angle for your set-up is also important.

My Taco, with electric rear locker, is only a 3-wheel drive. But 3 is far superior to 1!

Byte

PS Yeah Knkdrgn, I know what you mean. I put my first tree dent in my brand new Taco the second week I had it. Oops! And the first rock dent came in the 3rd month. Rocker panel...DOH! Gotta use 'em for what they're designed for or why waste the money right?

12. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

ColtCarbine brought up a really good point watching your RPM.
    I helped a buddy build a truck, highsteer, doubler etc etc I swapped an 84 truck body onto a 4runner chassis. Anyway we took it out for a shakedown and he was unprepared for the low gearing of the doubler....... over revved and spun a bearing.[beat]

Pirate4x4 is a good link, I've been on there for 10yrs.
    gatekeeper.

13. Snake Plisken

Snake Plisken Monkey+

I've been driving 4X's and off roading for over 30 years. The best thing I can tell you is that although having 4 wheel drive can be fun as well as a life saver... It also allows you to still get stuck, and just a helluva lot farther out in the middle of nowhere! So be careful! I can't count how many times friends have had to bum a ride to my house in the middle of the night to ask if I'd come pull em' out. One friend wasn't as lucky. He burried his landcruiser in the sand during low tide. We dug for hours and hooked up 5 other 4x's to him with no luck. He sat hours just watching the tide come in until the water was over the door handles.
    Can you say "BUMMER!":cry:

Have fun with it, but be safe and always tell someone where your going.

Call me Snake.

14. MinTX

MinTX lostinaustin

Y'all are one heck of a font of information.
    I just recently bought a 1994 Cherokee Sport and I am CLUELESS about 4WD!
    I now have lots to study. I have been doing as much work on it myself if I can and have a lift kit waiting to be installed. Larger tires are next. I do not PLAN to do any extensive crawling, but if the need is there, I figure I'd better know how!

15. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  16. Rourke

Rourke Monkey++

It's been said - but I gotta say it again: If there is any chance AT ALL that you will get stuck - DON'T GO IT ALONE.

I learned the hard way. :rolleyes:

Rourke

17. carlNC

carlNC Monkey+

HELP Jeep Liberty BInding

I feel reallly really stupid, just bought the Liberty for my daughter and drove it home from the bank. Read the manual and wanted to make sure the 4wd worked so I put it in 4wd in our drive way back out, with some wheel bump while turning. Proceeded forward and tried to get it into 4WDLo (bad idea I think now) since we were still on Pavement. Tried to get the thing out of 4wdLo and it is stuck. Have tried to get it unstuck by using methods in the manual with no success.
    I am heartbroken for her this is her first and I think I have messed it up good. that's why Im up at 3am
    Hell I haven't even registered the car yet
    Plan to have it towed to a shop this morning
    Does anyone know how to get this damn thing out of 4wdLo
    HELP

18. ghrit

I suspect you have the axles loaded, and torque applied. Try jacking up one front wheel and see if it lurches. Make sure you block the opposite rear, as it's apt to jump when the axles unwind. If the wheel lurches, problem should be solved. If not, try a rear wheel. For both attempts, tranny should be in neutral. Blocking the opposite diagonal wheel in both directions is critically important.

19. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I see all those American and Japanese trucks...4x4...Our police and army did some competitive testing here...tested Toyota 4runner, land cruiser, Hummer, Land rover, Range rover, Jeep and Lada Niva...The Lada went where no truck had went before...and captain Piccard wasn't even there!... :D
    Most popular 4x4 for REAL rugged terains in the Balkans is without doubt Lada Niva...It's a freaking mule on wheels!

20. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

The truck isn't aware of the surface it's on. Sometimes the Libertys or Cherokees will not want to switch in to or out of 4L. Put it in D - go forward a little, R - back a little, N - try again. It needs to dis/re-engage.

I'm not sure why this works - I just know that it does.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7