4x4 - how to use it

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by kckndrgn, Feb 23, 2010.

1. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

i get my 4x4 back in a week or so! im so happy

stg58 likes this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

3. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Auburn Gear has a nice LS unit that is gear driven, so no special lubricant is needed. Here's a good infomercial on them: Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops From The Jeep Parts Experts - Quadratec Last year I had to decide which type of traction devise I wanted for my Jeep.

I thought about the Auburn LS, it is slightly cheaper than most others, and LS is slightly better than fully locked diffs in the winter ONLY. I seriously thought about it for a little while, as the main use of the LS differential would be for the winter.

I eventually went with an Ected e-locker. Simple, you just push a button and it locks, push the button again and it unlocks.

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, the "old" ford is gone, replace by a Tundra. Found a used one (2013, w/33k miles) for a deal I just couldn't pass up. I'm giving up MPG for lots of user perks (moon roof, BT connectivity, more room in the cab, backup camera, etc.), I can live with it for now.

I've come to realize how much I liked having extra reverse lights (I added auxiliary reverse lights to the ford), going to add some extra light to the Tundra, along with wiring in a 12v jack in the bed and making all the 12v outlets in the cab "hot" all the time (currently the turn off when the truck turns off)
    2015-02-15 09.10.22.
    2015-02-15 09.10.49.

The previous owner added a lift/level kit along with an after market air filter (AFE brand).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Yard Dart and Sapper John like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7