5 phases of the active shooter: A tactical reload

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by HK_User, Oct 16, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

WRONG!
    Weapons used during the shootings at Columbine High School
    multiple weapons used, they trained for more than a month before the shootings started, they carried (4) bombs, and a backpack of ammo.
    Do not assume they have no training or practice.

"HERE LIES LEGION 489, KILLED BY BAD PRECONCEPTIONS."

chimo likes this.
  2. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

a major flaw is underestimating your opponent due to personal prejudices and stereotypes.

Our society has been conditioning people to be sheep for decades, if not centuries. Can't expect someone who has never even been trained to fight or even to resist...but has been conditioned to run or submit...to fight back.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Yard Dart and HK_User like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

No offence, but I know the rules and by the time I engage someone; it will be just them and me.

But for those who don't know that you are responsible for every shot, thanks for bringing to light the finer points. Recently there haven't been any shooters with any plan or tactical training. They all seem to want some attention posthumously bestowed upon them or to have some other statement to make.

With few exceptions, none of the shooters were combat trained...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. chimo

Lets hope it stays that way. I'm pretty sure a combat trained shooter would find a nice hide and pick off his targets from afar...including the initial first responders, like Whitman in 66 for example.

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Let's see. I said "First, MOST nut cases who do this are not experienced shooters. They do not sit and practice reloading their firearms for hours so they can do 1/2 second reloads, even if the nutter had a reload handy." They practiced for a MONTH?! Wow, they MUST have been good practicing for a month on their own in their spare time! Obviously the US military is doing it wrong! They carried the ammo in backpacks? Does that sound handy? Not to me. I sure didn't remember any bombings there either. Sorry, still don't see anything I said being wrong.

And who's fault is that? No parents trained their children? The gov't obviously WANTS victims or they would not have conditioned them to be sheeple. WHY would a parent ALLOW their child to be a sheeple? Don't they love their children? I'm guessing even demonrats (who hate America) probably care for their children, even if they teach them to be victims and set them up to die. Even a kitten, when threatened, gets ready to fight to the death for it's life. I expect no less.

Ganado likes this.
  6. kellory

Then you clearly did not read the provided link, legion.

7. chimo

Fault isn't the issue, reality is. Face it, we have become a nation of mostly sheep because people are conditioned to be sheep. Don't resist, don't ask questions, don't fight back, just obey...the government (of wolves) will protect you, trust us.

we, the few, the proud, the independent, self-sufficient crowd are in the minority these days.

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I know what I have seen some guys do before. I have personally seen a 16 year old with no concept of "training" fire a single shot 410 like it was a full auto magazine fed.

And a month is a long time to dedicate to a specific task. It's not like bootcamp, teaching them physical endurance, skills, none of that crap. Just to load and fire? You get a DAYS training to get a Concealed Carry permit, and a fancy "School" will teach you all you need to know about "combat shooting" in a day or two. Just throwing some numbers out there.

9. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Yeah, one had a double and shells in his pocket. The other had a pump shotgun. While rooting around for more shells in their pockets, no one did a thing to either stop the thugs or save themselves, just stood around and waited to be killed. Same with the magazines for the handguns. Socked away in their pants. Rooting around for a new mag, no one did a thing to stop them. Yeah, I get it. OK, so I agree with you, the sheeple got what they deserved. Do you feel happy now that I agree with you? OK, good. Glad to have that out of the way.

I, personally would like to go to a school that will teach me all I need to know about combat shooting in one day. Most three day classes are "familiarization" courses designed to get new shooters used to their guns or "tune ups" for regular shooters. After that most classes are a week or more of range and class room, of eight hours or more a day.

Carry permit? Well what part of "SHALL NOT INFRINGE" are you you having trouble with? How about a PhD in English to buy a paper or write a letter to the ed or post on the net? From what I have seen, most people seem to have had that one day course in spelling, punctuation and whatever was left of the day to learn about thinking before being turned loose. The gov't didn't give me my Rights, they only want to take them away. THAT is the reason for the defense free zones and wanting to disarm the sheeple, so the gov't has an EXCUSE to take my Rights and then "protect me" from the drug crazed obummer supporter killers. If the teachers or school "guard" had weapons (ie: firearms) there would have been NO school shooting at Sandyhook, OR State, VA State, Columbine, etc.

Ever wonder why there were no school shooting 30-40-50-60-70-80 years ago? Oh, that's right, there was a school shooting team and most everyone knew how to use a gun or had one in the car so they could go shooting/hunting after school and any idiots knew they would get off MAYBE one shot and would be cut down. Schools were not a defense free zone then! I carried guns into class with me and the teacher never had a case of the vapors or felt the need to call the cops. "Oh but that was then and this is now!" Yeah, liberals were looked down on back then and people were expected to not be idiots (or admitted demonrats which amounts to the same thing) and do for themselves and not be sheeple waiting for the next handout from their handler/master. My how times have changed.

10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

When I was in high school, if you went out to the parking lot, you found nothing but farm/ranch trucks with a rifle hanging in the rack. Nobody said a thing...... it was how we lived and what we were....... And every young person with that rifle in the rig.....could hit a gnats ass any day of the week....it was how we put food on the table thank you. ;)
    Sadly, times have indeed changed for the worse, as well all know!!!

11. kellory

I hunt. If I fire a shot or two I reload. I never shoot the gun dry, then fumble for more ammo. There is always one ready to fire. So be as clumsy as you like, when fishing for more Mags, as long as you still have one in the pipe, it doesn't matter much, does it?
    The Chicago reload is simple carry more loaded guns and swap guns when you hit empty. Again, you do not have that window of time to jump a shooter.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  12. kellory

If ginsu-bambi charges out of the trees and tries to take me out while I'm "unarmed" he will learn to respect "one shot, one kill".

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  13. Yard Dart

I think ultimately this falls back to training..... one shot, one kill is how I learned. Learn your weapon as any craftsman learns his tools.... and use them well for the job at hand. As a very young boy helping the family by putting food on the table....wasted ammo and blown shot's on viable game created the scowl from other family members. We were broke and spending money on ammo was not done unless required. We may have been poor, but we always had a freezer full of deer, elk antelope, pork and beef from the animals we raised, and other foods such as egg's from barter among our neighbors.

Ganado and kellory like this.
  14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Same way here, if "the crew" hears a shot then they know we have fresh meat or a dead varmint.
    Even then the mag or clip is topped off.

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  15. Yard Dart

I had an old bolt action 3 round brush gun with iron's. I clipped a deer and dad and I tracked him for miles in a big circle. At a point, we knew we were near the truck and dad and I broke off. I stayed on the trail and he went for the truck with a rendezvous planned at the top of the ridge. We swapped rifles due to his having a scope and I could take a longer shot if it came around.

I headed down the trail and at a point I found the deer bedded down in some brush. He jumped, started heading up towards the ridge and I shot him in the chest.....he kept running and I hit him in the neck....he stumbled and kept on running. I shot him again and hit him in the head and he went down. As I started off after him and at this point he was maybe a 150 yards off. When I got to within about 50 yards, he popped up again and headed up hill. I went to shoot at him again and had a nice click from the trigger.....dad had only loaded three rounds in the rifle and I had no spare ammo for his caliber, though I thought about jamming a 30-30 into a .270 to see if it would work... :rolleyes:

The deer cleared the ridge and disappeared up at the top near the road. I hiked up the hill to the top and when I got to the fence line he was nowhere to be seen. On the other side of the road was a plowed wheat field.... so he could not be far. I cleared the fence and when he got up on the opposite side of the road out of the ditch, he started towards to opposite fence. I placed the rifle up against the fence and ran over and tackled the deer.... where I drug him back up to the road. I pulled my deer knife (dad's first hunting gift to me) and as I had one hand on the horns, I slit his throat trying to kill the tough bastard. Finally he gave in and collapsed to the ground in my lap. About then, dad pulled up in the truck freaking out.... he thought I had been rammed by the buck and was hurt.... I had blood all over me from the fight with the deer.

Lesson's learned:
    Never have less than a full load in a rifle, always carry spare ammo for the type in your hand, don't take another's weapon that you are not familiar with and have no equal ammo for....and finally, keep that knife sharp.... you just never know when it may be your last line of defense.

The end: Nothing taste finer than a deer you took down with hand to hand combat. ;)

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. kellory

Been there, done that. Spine shot a buck with a crossbow and no follow-up shot available. Had to use my knife.

HK_User, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I pumped a buck full of .308 a couple of years back. And I have seen an armadillo take a full mag and keep on truckin. I have no concept of too much ammo or big enough bullet.

Also, before I get my back up and turn this into something, I was merely stating that you are considered COMPETENT enough after a single "training session", shall we call it, to carry the stupid things into a situation. And I did specify Concealed Carry, not some stupid carry permit, there is a major difference between the two.

HK_User likes this.
  18. chimo

Training classes are nice...but this notion that you can attend x hours of training and automagically become proficient with a firearm in a self-defense/combat scenario is pure horsepucky. Proficiency comes from applying what you learn in the classroom (or elsewhere) through hands-on, regular training in a wide variety of scenarios. Putting that proficiency to use requires the proper mindset. Even if you have the training and mindset, one simply doesn't know how they will perform until they actually see the beast and dance with him...but it sure increases your odds of a good outcome.

As far as carry goes...concealed or otherwise...free men don't need government permission.

HK_User and Tobit like this.
  19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

They do if they don't want to go to jail.

20. chimo

Nope. I don't let paint dictate where I drive or ride a bike safely and I don't let silly laws determine my personal security.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Legion489 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7