72 hour bags

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by BFair1, Aug 1, 2014.

1. BFair1

BFair1 Monkey

I have a problem. I over pack. A lot.

I cannot decide what is essential for a 72 hour bag. I think I have my entire bathroom in 2 bags, just in case. They are pretty heavy. I still need a bag for our water, food, clothes, and everything else. I don't want to be caught with my pants down, though. I seem to always be the one where if it really shouldn't happen, it will happen to me. I feel like I must pack EVERYTHING, just in case.

What is in yours? Do you keep yours on you all the time, in the car whenever you leave?

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Throw that pack on your back and take it down the road a few miles.... then come home and re-think what you are carrying. If you are jamming your bag full of stuff to be to heavy for you to carry over distance... re-think what you can substitute, with dual use tools and items... do you really need all the crap you load to survive, or are you trying to stay comfortable!! Comfort is trumped by practical every day... carry what provides you the basics of shelter, food and water for a few days.... and then build from there based on your carrying ability and fitness.

My GHB is in my work truck and weights about 40 lbs. I can move on it for 5 days +..... and that is what is expected worst case to get home from my office or the general metro area. I can purify water three ways, I have food that is able to support the needed dietary intake, ammo to back up my CCW, clothing for expected weather, a means to do water crossings as that is in my couple of routes.... and a means to provide shelter along the way. I also have tools and lighting for task as needed, maps, and important docs....

There are many things to think through for your specific needs, ability and so on. Trial and error is part of the process.... many of us have extensive knowledge in movement, gear and training... keep shooting questions and we will be happy to contribute!!!

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Rational thought will help, with your issue..... You have to be self sufficient for 72 hours, for three Days..... So that means in an emergency, you need to plan for two meals, and a Energy Snack, per day. Figure a lunch, and Supper, per day... Six meals per Adult Person, roughly 2500 Calories per person per day. That is enough to sustain you, even if you need to do "some excursive" during the 72 hours. Water, you need at least 1 USG per person per day, to stay hydrated. Now depending on your location, if water is present locally, (streams, Ponds, etc) that can be dealt with by having a Berky Water Filter System. If you live in a desert, then you will need to carry your prepackaged water with you. 72 Hour MedKit... Lots of those around... Check out Falcon15's writings on those, he has some good stuff on that. For Shelter, if you "Bug In" then you need 72 hours of Alternative Energy, to keep things warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. Keep the fridge Cold, and a way to heat you 72 Hour Food.
    Another place to look for 72 hour info is those Mormon Folks. Do a Search on their Website (LDS.org) for 72 Hour Kits... These Folks are the ORIGINAL PREP'ers, and it is a tenant of their Religion. You do not have to BELIEVE, just to get some of the Best Info on Prep'en, from them.. They also have a Cannery System that allows folks to buy Long Term Food Storage Items at way below even Bulk Food Prices.
    Always remember, this is not a RACE. Many of us have been living this lifestyle for Generations, so take it one step at a time. Do not get discouraged, there is still time to get things together....

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    ditch witch and Yard Dart like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG]I'm not sure, but I think this is what @Yard Dart is using for river crossings....

6. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

This thread is confusing so far. It is a bit unclear what the intent of the "72 hour bag" is and the replies seem to mirror that ranging from good advice for a bug out bag to stocking a refuge. I can't help but wonder if some of the trouble in packing a manageable sized bag is ambiguity as to it's purpose and hence the temptation to pack it all.

Let me suggest a few considerations:
    1. Narrow down what the bottom line purpose of the 72 hour bag is, then it may become more clear.
    2. If that doesn't work then try living from that bag for just 24-48 hours and the unnecessary stuff will be more obvious.
    3. Consider a modular system. Pack lots of things in smaller packages, just a few items, even vacuum sealed to take up less space. Have different clothing packages for different needs (cold, hot, etc.) food packs, cooking packages, water, first aid etc. Store them all together in a big plastic tub to keep the critters out. Then when the situation arises you will know specifically the circumstances and you grab the appropriate packages in just 1-2 minutes and dump into a backpack only the pre-made packages that will be needed.

Just an idea.
    AT

chelloveck, Brokor and KAS like this.
  7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

When in Kansas several years ago our son had their bags sitting beside the front door. As you know tornadoes are prevalent there and the storm shelter was a half block away. Have gotten a bit slack in keeping my bag with me and leave it in the RV most of the time. If going anywhere past 40--50 miles it goes with me. Other than that it is just sardines/pork/beans/water filter/arms/ammo/first aid in a smaller bag. We are set to do what is necessary to leave and never return.

8. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

it just sounds to me that you just aren't ready to "rough it" yet .... having an overfilled bag just for your personal needs is more than just an indicator - it's tooting at full steam

9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

BFair1, maybe the easiest method, to determine what's necessary (and what's not), is to go through the bags. Hold each item up, and ask yourself, "If I don't have this, can I continue living?" Notice, I didn't say "survive", because some people's version of survive is different than others. For some, who aren't in the same mindset as people here are, they might decide they can't survive without their mango pineapple bat guano shampoo!

If, however, they cannot prove that it will help them to continue living, it either goes OUT, or it waits until everything that WILL support continued living is in the bag, and only then is it re-introduced, in a small, measured quantity (like those 3 ounce bottles the wonderful TSA allows us to take on board aircraft, in our carry-on luggage! LOL).

Yard Dart, Pineknot and Airtime like this.
  10. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

YOU CAN GO 3 DAYS WITHOUT WATER, MORE THAN 3 DAYS WITHOUT FOOD!!, You need to look at what you are trying to accomplish as some has already stated. there are different "bags" as people prepare to have. a bugout bag, a get home bag, a 72 hour bag (which could do all the things as the previous two) and a everyday carry bag. My everyday carry bag has the BARE minimal that i will need to get home in the event of an emp or a situation where ALL travel has been impeded, Maps, compass', pen and tablet, lights, clothing, superlight tarp, knives and weapons that expel lead when fired, a bottle a water, a bottle of powerade, a few small common tools that double as other items, fire starting and personal field trauma kit. This is just me, but i have at least two of each thing mostly three or 4. You should look into bushcrafting skills to learn some of the woodsman basics of surviving in the woods without much of any of the above if you plan on staying in the woods longer than just to get home. My plan is prepared to take whatever route i have to in order to get to the compound. My bag weighs approximetly 34lbs. and i can hike with this thing for miles at a time. Last winter i hiked 430 acres with a pair of waders on, my pack and a single shot rifle. I did this as practice, to see if i could and to see what issues i ran into. It is highly suggested to not just build bags and kits but to actually use them so you know what to expect and where the items are stored in case of an emergency. thats just my 2 cents[2c]

natshare, Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Good stuff. And yeah, call it whatever you want, "72 hour bag", or a "bug out bag", maybe "get home bag" and then "run like Patrick Swayze bag" it doesn't matter what it is called, it's the intent, personal limitations and environmental factors which come to mind when planning your kit. Your three considerations are right on the mark.

Yard Dart, chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  12. My bag contents in are listed in the "back to basics" thread but here are the bullet points:

Hydration
    Shelter
    Fire
    First Aid
    Self Defense
    Food/ food prep
    Dig, Cut, Cordage
    Hygiene
    Lighting
    Communication
    Hat, Gloves, Boots
    Clothing for the season

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Motomom34
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  6. phorisc
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Motomom34
  9. ED GEiN
  10. AxesAreBetter
  11. medicineman
  12. Oltymer
  13. Imasham
  14. Witch Doctor 01
  15. Legion489
  16. DarkLight
  17. DarkLight