80% lowers source with jigs etc...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

When I can buy fully machined AR lowers for $50 on sale from Brownells, I see no need to buy these and finish them myself.

3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Yes, but 80%s don't have 4473 generated when purchased.
    Granted you can buy 100%s face to face but If you go to a FFL, there will be a record of it.

5. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

@VisuTrac beat me to it, I bought 4 80% from that Cali company (now called AWC) that was being harassed by the BATF, $49.00, and bought a 80% AR10 from them also, and the jigs came from them, but I think I remember someone else makes them. The thing to look out for on 80%'r is for the rear well by where the stock thingie ma jig screws into, make sure it is milled because that is the correct floor for your first pass at milling out the lower. I also bought the Harbor Freight mini mill, and the add on belt drive because I knew I would strip out their cheap gears.

Rancher

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Tully Mars, gundog10 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

I love un-documented AR15's.....keep a few buried here and there......

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Caveman Jim and Tully Mars like this.
  8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

...or purchase through private sale, especially from an executor of an estate
    couple of layers between you and the name on the FFL that was involved in the original purchase

9. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I always shake my head at people that think they are hiding something by getting 80% receivers. Did you buy it online and use a credit card, your screwed. Unless you walked into their place, gave no info and paid in cash, your screwed. How did you buy the lower parts to finish it, your screwed.

Also tired of hearing the old line about boating accidents.

Here is the real deal...If it's time to hide it, it's time to use it!!!

10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Crap, guess I will have to dig out the scuba gear......

11. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

if ya find the right area you will be RICH?

Caveman Jim, Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  12. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Yep, you know you have it and they know you have it...carry on! [gun]

Tully Mars, Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

In short, no.
    It's not a bad deal, but do a bit of searching and you can beat their price,esp. the single unit price.

That is your decision and it may be fine and correct for you.
    I choose to "roll my own" nowadays.Machining the lower is not hard and I enjoy it. It also allows one to add some custom touches to their lower if they so choose. Just because a lower (or upper) is advertised as Mil Spec doesn't always mean it is on the tighter side of listed tolerances-often they are just the opposite.I can control that for the most part when I mill my own. It's great fun building one up from scratch. I am free to pick and choose what kind of components go into the build, which in the end will save me money. If a person wants a bone stock AR, this probably isn't the way to go as you can buy them for under 5 bills on sale. BUT, if you want a specialized weapon you can and will save money building it yourself. The latest one I built fires a five shot group from the bench at 100 yards that can be covered by a dime. The same weapon(except for the stock-I chose a fixed) available from a custom gunsmith sells for $3,500.00. Total cost for my build, including the cost of me doing the Cerakote was a grand.

I will caution folks on trying to complete a semi auto pistol as their first project, esp. a 1911(A1).
    Although the Glock is easier than the 1911 both are harder than it looks without much room for error. Most all of the semi auto pistol kits require that you mill the rails that the slide runs on. Any mistake and at best you have a loose pistol, at worst the frame is scrap. Slow and easy, following the included instructions is the key. Personally unless a person has some machining experience I would suggest an easier build to start with (AR or a AK) YMMV

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
    Alf60, oldawg, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  14. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Goin for the Glory

I love to build things, always have since I was a kid and that has carried over into adult and soon to be the geriatric life....
    I weld wood, maintain the homestead, RV, fish, hunt, shoot guns, build guns and reload for hobbies and all that seems to keep me busy for a retired old fart.
    Do I care in this day who knows what? NO, we have no secretes anymore because of this retched technology and how it's been exploited by TPTB. I would not be heartbroken if it all went away....

This right here is the most foolproof way to get EXCELLENT results from milling your own lowers.
    80% Lower Jigs - AR-15 | AR-10 | AR-308 | 80% Lower Receivers

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Just finished an 80% with a 5D jig. Messy, as shavings go everywhere, but a well built jig. One of the best guide systems I've seen with built in depth gauges. Recommended.

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Unless, of course, you simply want to know how to do it in case of need. Or maybe it's just a hobby? To add that sure, it's expensive, but that is NOT the point of DIY. As to how simple it might be without the jigs, that's in the eye of the beholder. Sewing buttons is easy, too, after the first one. So is darning socks. Neither of those require a sewing machine, much less a router and drill.

Alf60 and Tully Mars like this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Applying that logic to everything else I have, I've been very foolish with my money... :whistle:

1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User
  12. Motomom34