A blade, a pot, and the clothes on your back.

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by madmax, Feb 14, 2015.

1. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

This isn't a scenario for realistic wilderness survival. Folks here would likely have much more to use in the way of tools. The idea of being stuck out there with a pot and machete and no fire kit is silly. It's a challenge. The premise was what do you NEED to get by in central FL in the sticks. Minimum. Stuck out there. The consensus originally was a pot and a sharp. We went slow and had emergency bags with the basics and had to get some out once. We added a pocket fishing kit this year. Fish. yum.

Here's some pics of our learning.

Some like the bow drill. Some master the handdrill. Must have fire.

[​IMG]

Who needs plates and utensils?

[​IMG]

I think there were 8 around the fire and in the shelter on this trip. Unexpected temps had a few get into their e-bags for space blankets.

[​IMG]

There's a shelter right there that fit 4 people. Natural cordage twisted from palm was used. Awning in progress.

[​IMG]

A hootch in the making. No cordage was used.

[​IMG]

One of the first trips we allowed a piece of plastic. An unexpected midnight shower had us burrito'd in them. The palm leaves are a wind break and fire reflector. And we were ALWAYS either boiling, cooling, or drinking water. The very first trip we learned just how big that container needed to be.

[​IMG]

But we didn't NEED a pot on this trip. Boiled water in bamboo. The cordage is also palm.

[​IMG]

Bugs aren't on many peoples' edible lists. Some are surprisingly good. Termites being one of them.

[​IMG]

We found sour oranges that had grown back from roots that the good orange trees were grafted on, but froze years ago. Trust me they are sour. However a squirt in boiled river water makes it taste soooo much better.

[​IMG]

I'ld throw this little guy back when fishing usually. But I hadn't had any meat in over 24 hours.

[​IMG]

Fatwood torch makes potty runs at night MUCH easier.

[​IMG]

Couple days in and I'm still smiling'

[​IMG]

So, while learning and practicing wilderness survival skills is rewarding and might be useful someday, what we're taking home from these challenges really is thinking outside our boxes. Using available resources for purposes other than what we normally would or stuff we wouldn't think had a use. I think this is a skill that needs to be developed and practiced.

Hanzo, Georgia_Boy, Shaunda and 13 others like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

A few other tricks you could try:

(Others could also offer their tricks to test. I'll start you off with......)

(1) Once your fire is going well, dig a trench and fill it with dry rocks. (The rocks should be flush, or just below grade) (do not use river rocks that could explode with trapped moisture). Move your fire on top of the rocks, build up the fire, and when you are ready to sleep, push the fire off the rocks, cover with dry dirt, (and any bedding) and sleep on the rock bed. It will release the banked heat for several hours.

3. madmax

That works for sure. But I've shied away from it since I tried it and almost burned my ass off. LOL. Which really is the point of the thread. Practice.

Thanks

Motomom34, chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  4. kellory

alternate use, is to bury the hot rocks in your shelter floor.:)

madmax likes this.
  5. madmax

Yeah, I just didn't use enough dirt. Rocks are pretty scarce in the area that we do these trips. But maybe I can get up to NC in the winter and practice the hot rock bed again.

Witch Doctor 01 and kellory like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hot sand might work nearly as well --

madmax and Tully Mars like this.
  7. madmax

I've thought about making some hardwood coals from oak or hickory and "banking" them, then bedding on top. I'm doing a solo soon and will try this.

kellory likes this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Some good tips, unfortunately.... It isn't too tropical where I'm at...

[​IMG]

Hanzo, Motomom34 and Tracy like this.
  9. kellory

They will work poorly by comparison, as they are prone to collapse. You could have a flare up. That would be...unpleasant. Sand will work with what rocks you have, but will not hold heat as long.

10. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

You florida guys got it going on with the bushcraft. Great thread and pics. Thank you

Motomom34 and madmax like this.
  11. madmax

Thanks. We've got a great group. Lotsa talent to share with each other.

...and some gals and rug rats that are at home in the woods.

vonslob likes this.
  12. kellory

You know you can start a fire with a sheet of clear plastic, right? And that that orange you used is highly flammable?;)

High speed footage of a zested orange peel...High Speed Video • Flaming Citrus Oil:

13. madmax

Weeeeell, I've seen it done with plastic and clear water. The orange... we've tried numerous approaches to that. You'll have to show me a credible vid on doing that. There's some real BS out there on that subject. Take a Bic and try to light an orange. Or the rind.

14. kellory

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Georgia_Boy likes this.
  15. madmax

Ok. I'll try that for shoots and giggles. I saw a vid someone who put alcohol in a rind and lit it without mentioning the alcohol. Looks like it' a flash flame.

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

You can also make reed baskets out of the green palm leaves -I did that many times living in Florida. If you do a cross weave, you can make the container mostly water tight, will serve as an excellent gathering basket if not for water preparation. I never really found bamboo large enough to suffice my needs.

A lot of these skills really are practical, but important only for extreme survival situations. Some are just a waste of time and energy. It all comes down to utilizing the resources in your environment. Sure, you *could* pack a much better tool or piece of equipment to do the job, but knowing how to get by with practically nothing can be fun to learn. Great job!

And I stopped sleeping on the ground when in Florida about the same time I started. Hammock only, please (even a make-shift hammock from local resources).

17. madmax

Brokor we've got a great weaver in our crew. Very few seem interested. I meant to get some basics at Rendezvous this year. We have made mats out there from palm.

The bamboo is not indigenous, but has been there for at least 100 years.

Doing a 5 dayer down the Suwannee in 3 weeks hanging. That one is not a minimalist trip. Talkin' cast iron cooking. Woo Hoo!

18. Wheelsucker

Wheelsucker Out of Airspeed, Altitude & Ideas

Yep, grew up down there and hell if I'm sleeping in the ground assuming you can see the ground for all the bugs.

madmax and Brokor like this.
  19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

we learned to make fire with a bamboo fire saw... and a fire thong ( not the wearable type) while in jungle survival in Panama...

madmax likes this.
  20. madmax

Did some camping while on a surfari in Costa Rica. At a developed campground. Someone stole us blind while surfing. Went native for a bit until the money transferred. Howler monkeys are insane. Ate ok with some borrowed fishing gear and fruit.

1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Qwertyportne
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Thunder5Ranch
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Coyote Ridge