a BOB essential i never see

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by beast, May 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. beast

beast backwoodsman

a coil of piano wire, 20 to 50 feet long
    why?
    a 3 foot piece of piano wire used as a bow string makes a very quick and handy bowsaw
    or you can just wrap it round a tree and saw by hand
    piano wire also makes great snares and booby traps
    it even works well as an antena extension
    it will hold logs together for a raft or shelter
    or bind your knife to a shaft for a quick spear

very handy stuff, almost better than balin wire

P.S. dont forget some wire cutters :)

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I dig wire.... mostly from a snare standpoint. It is more useful in that regard than cordage is.

Snares rule in terms of energy v. gain.

Brokor likes this.
  3. thebastidge

thebastidge Monkey+

What?

Piano wire isn't going to work as a saw. It's just wire. If you want something like that, there are plenty of chain saws sold with a handle at each endfor pulling across a limb, folds up tiny and only weigh a few ounces- and even those are a LOT of work. I'd rather use a machete.

It takes special tools to cut piano wire because it is spring steel, not just a pair of wire cutters, or your wire cutters will have a chewed up edge. It's got no special property that would make it more useful for snares, and I would never use wire for making a raft: wire doesn't have enough flexibility and stretch to it, as well as it will cut through a water-softened log over time if it doesn't break.

4. beast

beast backwoodsman

hmmm, you must get some dif type of wire as piano wire thanwe get here
    yes its hard, but i never use metal cutting tools until i temper themmyself
    lesson learned long ago about mass produced garbage

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Rebar tie wire, not piano wire. Much easier to handle, it's dead soft to start where piano wire doesn't like to be handled, too stiff. Too heavy for a lot of portability if you carry a full spool. but a couple feet won't hurt and there's always something wanting tied. Of course, 550 cord has more utility most of the time, and doesn't work harden as wire does. YMMV, of course.

Nadja, Falcon15, Brokor and 1 other person like this.
  6. wags_01

wags_01 Monkey+

I keep 3-6 feet of 16 or 20 gauge brass wire in my EDC kit, and another couple yards in my BOB. I find that brass doesn't corrode as quickly as steel, and is a bit more malleable. I also EDC a Gerber Crucial, which has a great wire cutter built into the pliers.

7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

as far as wire goes, I've got a quarter mile of 17 gauge and a quarter mile of 14 gauge. Why would i have that much? Electric fence wire from local farm store. about 15 bucks a roll. That's a lot of snares, ties that bind, bundling/bailing plus keeps the pigs and goats in their appointed pastures. I also have about 990 feet of 4 point barbed wire (not installed yet, just in case)

I can cut me off a piece as long or as short as i need.

Could also use it as restraints for the boy and girls in the blue helmets when they throw up their hands.

I guess there could be other uses too. [whipem]

Just a thought.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yea, I used it to threaten my daughters Dates, when they were in High School.
    "Have them home, HERE, and SAFE, by 11:30 Pm ,or you will be wearing some of this........" Never had any Issues.... YMMV.......

beast likes this.
  9. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I'll have to remember that. I have a house full of hens.

10. beast

beast backwoodsman

i always told my girls their dates had tospend a day out cuttin wood with me before they went out, lots never did take them out afterwards....lol

1. chelloveck
    Rabbits beware! [MEDIA]
    Thread by: chelloveck, Jul 1, 2018, 5 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  2. Powder_burns
  3. Bishop
    Bishop spring pole snare: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 20, 2016, 5 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  4. phorisc
  5. Seacowboys
    Snare [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Seacowboys, Jul 14, 2012, 4 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  6. emergencypreparedness
  7. tacmotusn
  8. melbo
  9. monkeyman
  10. monkeyman
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7