A Lesson In Personal Security

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Oct 17, 2014.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I'm trying. I just got her to understand the need for backup food in the house, in case I am injured on a job and can't work for a while (no paychecks). We are slowly stocking up on supplies.
    I am a hunter, first and foremost, and I like the freezer full, and can goods on the shelves, but we did need to eat nearly everything when times were leanest.
    We are now empty nesters, and the kids do not require help with rent, food, bills TOO often, (other than regular care packages from home);) so we are starting to stock back up.
    The freezer is mainly full, the pantry is stocked, but longterm stuff is mainly nonexistent. We could sit out a few weeks, with no outside support, before the food or fuel ran out.

bmtm09 likes this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I understand your frustration Kel, BTDT with my ex. She loved "having everything" when there was a need as long as I did all the work to get it and keep it up. Don't give up on the "out of work" angle. That's exactly what happened to me. I took a fall off a ladder and was off work for 9 months-those preps really allowed her to continue to be able to keep her weekly manicure/pedicure appointments:rolleyes:

3. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Dang, I feel practically invincible now!:p
    Anyone trying to pick me up is gonna give themselves a hernia (and probably loose the ability to reproduce as im not the docile type )
    being 5'10 & built like a linebacker has its advantages:ROFLMAO:

2 years of self defense training, mostly Boxing & Moi Thai but my instructor liked to teach a few "not strictly legal" moves to. (boy I miss him...)

Not to mention the 85lb German Shepherd and the roughly 200lb Mastiff "puppy" (yeah hes still growing...:cautious:) I usually have with me.

I let you know how it goes if anyone tries...

4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yeah I taught my wife firearms handling and how to shoot some 20+ years ago. She soon after lost interest and the firearm laid dormant for years. I asked her many times if she wanted to bring it on our numerous trips to the remote property, but she refused.

One day about a month ago she decided she wanted to shoot it and her weapons handling scared the living sh*t out of me. I reminded her to watch where the muzzle was pointed (at her leg) and to get her finger off the trigger until the firearm was pointed down range. She became a little indignant and behaved as though I was over reacting. Uhhh NO!

Wives in general do not listen to their husbands. My father told me this a long time ago, and I've seen it with other couples as well on a variety of subjects, not just firearms. So, I think what I'm going to have to do is take Mr. BT Post's advice.

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Take her to a pro firearms trainer, then you wont be the bad guy. :)

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No matter how she gets trained, if he points out an error, it's katee bar the door at home.

bmtm09, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Now I'm wondering what kind of biatches you boys are married too?

bmtm09, Yard Dart and AD1 like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Was, in my case.

bmtm09, Ganado and AD1 like this.
  9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Married to the most wonderful mate I could hope for, and I'm a trained and certified (and was very good) technical trainer. My wife, however, doesn't do as well with me as a trainer as she does with someone else. I've addressed this in a past post and it has to do with history and the assumptions that spouses make (men and women) about what you mean, what you are going to say next, subtext, etc.

Has nothing to do with my wife being anything but wonderful and amazing (no, she's not looking over my shoulder). Has to do with the fact that neither of us like to be "taught" by the other...we just don't, and I'm willing to bet that's all it is. Again, there's too much history, to much "thinking alike", too much finishing each others sentences and thinking you know what the other is going to do/say/think that you (both parties) zone out and it causes problems. Almost every time.

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thank you for clearing that up [winkthumb]

DarkLight likes this.
  11. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

My wife is probably different then I guess what some might called typical about firearms.
    Wife likes fast cars, Camping and loves her firearm. She goes about getting other women interested in firearms
    just this year alone she helped two at her work to get CC, one was her boss and another was one of her own employees.
    I know most say do not train your wife and I agree I didnt train my wife I let her learn same way my kids did.
    With the kids and the wife everything was in slow motion. Took one small topic and had fun with it until she got muscle memory, Then moved on to next step until she got muscle memory and so on and so on. I think as spouses some times we want quick like and instructor is but any guy who is married can tell you just try and tell your wife to do it, or make her feel like you are instructing her and thats how it feels and will go south quick. I let my wife take steps that she wanted when she wanted I don't instruct she lets me guide the process.
    The very first thing I did was get a fake orange P229 trainer replica of my firearm she had seen. I let her hold that see it and then I showed her the parts on the firearm while I was holding it giving mirrored action. That was over 10 years ago and over time she has progressed to every day , every single day she leaves the house she gets her purse, glasses and she gets her conceal carry holster on and checks her firearm holsters it and leaves, comes home disarms safety checks and keeps it handy over time I now seldom play a part in her firearms progression except when she is using a new one of my firearms or something I let her ask and then again guide at the pace she wants. Not for everyone but I do not worry about her leaving the house I worry about the dumb ass who thinks she is a target.

bmtm09, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  12. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

1. Arm yourself
    2. Vary your routine/route.
    3. Maintain situational awareness at all times
    4 Trust no one
    5. Remember that no one can take better care of you than you.............

bmtm09 and Tully Mars like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I hike sever miles every morning and while a human threat isn't a real big concern, A 4 legged one sure is an issue! That said, I carry and so does my Wife! She got proactive on her own, with out much input from me, and she found two women only training classes that she did on her own! After that she and I took two more, more advanced classes! Now, we are both certified instructors and have made it a mission to help other's learn all they can! The wife has teamed up with her original trainer and now helps others just like her! Having a great big hunk of dog that no one can man handle is a side benefit!

bmtm09 and Tully Mars like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There is a good video around that addresses developing a warrior mentality .
    Wish I could remember it all but the point is, "not freezing"
    there was also a good british documentary on the same subject .
    Many people are not doers and wait for some one else to make a move or say something before the necessary action is taken . and this is true with cops as well , with all their training, and still freeze up.
    I personally have been enough situations that I am accustomed to taking action when I see something wrong , because it usually escalates worse the longer it is left unnoticed .
    A Man needs to know his limitations of course ,but this is all the more reason to develop that muscle memory(Brain training).
    Not just with guns but in situational awareness both in good things and bad.
    A smart mother will notice some one in the family a bit off, and will attend to it before it escalates into full blown flu or cold.
    Taking action ASAP is vital in survival.
    Just as animals read your body language knowing how to read theirs as well is just as important.
    How you respond to them initially, makes all the difference in the world.

bmtm09, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  15. bmtm09

bmtm09 Monkey

Brother diligence is the key..Mine had no interest in guns at all... I asked begged pleaded demanded to no avail for 6 years...One day out of the blue {very recently} with all the bad stuff happening she walked into the kitchen while I was pouring a cup of coffee and said " I want you to take me to the range". I almost dropped my coffee and am now very happy with the way she handles a firearm and she is the proud owner of a new Glock 17 that she loves...she named it Rufus.....

Dunerunner, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I hope you also get her some Professional Training, in handling Rufus.... And when that is done, you both head to the Thurston County Sheriffs Office, and apply for your CCWs.... It has been an observation, and Rule of mine, that Husbands should NOT teach FireArm Handling to their Wives... Mostly for the sake of Family Unity... and because of the histories (Baggage) involved in that Type of relationship...

17. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

My wife can shoot just fine, but she simply will not take the time to become proficient enough to carry. She knows she can take any NRA or CC class she wants, can shoot/train anytime she wants, etc...but doing so is simply not a priority for her. It is what it is, you can lead a horse to water....

She does work on keeping up her situational awareness and she lets me drill her on self defense using her hands and weapons of opportunity including stuff she keeps in her purse like her keys, knife, pepper spray, etc. and even her purse itself (that sucker will kill ya!), so it's not that she doesn't take her own defense seriously, she does...just not with a firearm.

I simply HATE this notion that people have these days that you are only "armed" if you have a firearm. There are many weapons that can be used to defend yourself and while a firearm is obviously one of the better choices for the job, just because you don't have one doesn't mean you are unarmed or defenseless.

BlueDuck, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@chimo I completely agree! better to be dangerous with anything than just to rely in a gun

19. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Exactly, but the desire to defend yourself must be there to begin with. Mine has no interest in defending herself or knowing anything about defending herself. I believe she thinks as long as she drags me everywhere she goes that she can get behind me and get away unscathed. She doesn't understand that I'm NOT in my prime any longer...

The older I get, the more my head is on a swivel...

chelloveck likes this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Do that very long and you'll have a crook in your neck.
    If a couple can't team together, they are both lost no matter what shape you are in..
    IMO .

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Ganado
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Hanzo
  11. Tempstar