A Lesson In Personal Security

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Oct 17, 2014.

1. MarleneK

MarleneK Monkey

There are a lot of safety measures you could follow while you are out on your own.Avoid unfamiliar areas.Don’t accept rides from strangers and don’t respond to the comments from strangers.Try your best to avoid getting into an empty elevator with a stranger,if you are not able to avoid this situation then stand next to the control panel and if you are attacked press any of the control buttons .Always learn to keep your space.Intimate space is about 0-1.5 ft,Personal space about 1.5-4 ft,Social space about 4-12 ft and public space 12 feet or more.

2. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Actually my personal space starts closer to 20 feet away.....:cautious:

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was thinking 21 feet.

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Social space.. If I can see you.. your inside it.......o_O

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I was in an elevator with 12 folks today.... I am not sure about this social space thing... we call it bumping and grinding in the high rise world..... :whistle:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Have some beans and get your own lift ---

Tully Mars, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have taught my kids that personal space is an arms length. I had them hold their arm straight out and anyone within that circle is too close. A comfort zone if farther then that but it is the closest that someone should be.

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Personal space is different than secure space. I think of it like classifications

If you are the King of a small kingdom,
    The 'immediate circle', mostly family and intimate friends, can get very close.

Then there is 'the court' people you interact with like neighbors and Co-workers. I have a 3-10 ft space for these people, depending on the circumstances.

'The village' people you see but don't know to any degree. these people 20ft space away

'The kingdom' those people you don't know that we'll but you may be responsible for them. This space for me is over 20 feet.

Different cultures have different personal social spaces. The hispanic, spanish, some Asian, Italian and french cultural personal social space norm of only a few inches. we Americans and the British (not sure about Aussies) have an arms length social space as the norm.

Different cultures define safe space in different distances. Many clashes between people with different cultures is the social space. Other people can get you very defensive very quickly without you being consciously aware of why they make you uncomfortable just by moving too close to you and violating your cultural norms.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

If I can hear what is coming out of your pie hole, you have invaded my personal space.

Ganado likes this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Friendly aren't you.... :) jk.... if you have to get near people, how close do you allow them?

Ganado likes this.
  11. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Close enough to rip off their heads and spit down their throats. I was voted Mr. Sunshine for like 20 years running. :D

Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  12. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Personal space depends on the threat. When its too close for you to react in time, its too close.

13. Mac Bolan

Mac Bolan Monkey

This is something everyone should watch
    Especially, the armchair Rambo's.
    A realistic assessment of facing an attacker armed with a knife.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Ganado
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Hanzo
  11. Tempstar
  12. Dunerunner