A Question Of Fire starting Priorities ..

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by tuxdad, Aug 29, 2010.

1. tuxdad

tuxdad Monkey++

Howdy All,

Which would you use first ??

Was reading a thread on another forum about what 2 tools you'd choose in the bush, and it got me to thinking..

Now we all know the old standby of "2 is one, and one is none", right ??

Ok, here's the scenario..

You're out in the bush, and you need to get a fire going.. Now let's suppose this is during a SHTF type situation.(sorry forgot to mention non-emergency, just basic survival)...

You've got your kit with a flint and steel, a ferro rod, and a lighter, along with the ability to do fire by friction..

My question is which would you use ?? Would you take the easy way out and go with your lighter, or would you save the easier options as your last resort and go with the friction fire or flint and steel ??

Myself I'd go with attempting my friction fire first and save the others for more pressing times.. At the same time I'd be keeping my skill up to snuff .. Plus you could make more char material for later fires if the need arised..

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this !!

Tux

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I always try to use my firesteel first, but if the weather is poor and I need to hurry, I will use the easiest method possible. For some people that is a flint and steel (Sticks65). Still, I can't cut on people who use a Bic. If it works, it works. Naturally, you want to conserve your resources as best you can. I think this question is mostly a moot point since most folks will just do whatever is necessary to get a fire going, but saving that lighter for a time when it's most needed could save you in the end.

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Cavemen and Indians didn't like making fire with friction, that is why we have matches and Bics. I like those little magnesium bars with attached ferro and have several of them.

Brokor likes this.
  4. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Well the way you've laid the scenario out as just a non-emergency situation with survival at stake makes no sense to me. If survival is at issue then it's an emergency and I'd use the fastest and easiest way to make fire; in your example scenario I'd start with the lighter. I could also read your meaning to be that I'll have very little chance of acquiring another lighter, or fero rod (TShasalreadyHTF). Flint and steel should be less rare depending on geologic availability of flints. In this case I'd definately save the lighter for emergencies where fire would be needed immediately, ie less than 1 minute. So I'd start with the flint and steel. Friction is the last method I'd fall back to.

So it pretty much boils down to how you meant your statement to be interpreted.

Byte

5. tuxdad

tuxdad Monkey++

Yes in this case TS Has HTF, but there is no immediate danger.. Where as you're gonna freeze to death, or its raining..

You've got your shelter built, you've score some game in your traps, and all you wanna do is cook it up and maybe take the chill off your camp..

You're simply on you're own hook and have to make your kit last until you happen to meet someone to "possibly" do some trading ..

Yes I guess in some way TSH'ingTF would still count as some sort of an emergency...:oops: sorry...

6. 2Munkeez

2Munkeez Monkey+

hello :) new here, cool site.

me, i'd hold out on using the lighter if it was a relaxed situation (time on my side, not freezing, etc). i can think of things i'd need to light in a hurry, i'm saving the bic for those.

7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I prefer a slow method when out and about if for no other reason than practice.

Generally, I try with my ferro rod first. If I have the time and pick up resources along the way, I will try a friction fire.

Brokor likes this.
  8. eggs

eggs Monkey+

i use my firesteel, but i will practice with friction time permitting

1. Bishop
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Dec 17, 2023, 3 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  2. chelloveck
  3. Illini Warrior
  4. DKR
  5. Ura-Ki
  6. chelloveck