A Year Without Summer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganado, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

ive been playing with this idea, Low energy but high output plants
    Quads arent all filled in but its a start

oil pan 4 likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Have you been watching ice age farmer?

Ganado likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

no .... is that a movie or a show?

do you have a link?

oil pan 4 likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's a guys you tube channel.
    He believes modern agriculture as we know it is going to fail to provide the food we are all used to.
    That major changes need to be made.
    Encourages everyone to grow some of their own food.
    High lights crop losses, connects food price increases to crop insurance company reports. All public information.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

oil pan 4 and Motomom34 like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The last iceage farmer YouTube vid I saw the guy Christian was talking about all the freeze damage to crops in Oklahoma after last weeks wintery weather froze a bunch of peaches and grapes.

Here in new Mexico I'm waiting yet another week to plant my trees because this coming Friday, 4/20 they are calling for more freezing temperatures and possible wintery weather this time.

On another note the global warming true believers won't stop talking about how hot its been. As if wishing makes it true.

Ganado likes this.
  7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I could make it a year without summer, but only by relying heavily on my preps.

I suppose you could probably grow cabbage, kale, and other winter-garden crops here in zone 8. I'm curious about winter wheat.

Ganado likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Winter wheat is doing alright here.

9. Zimmy

I figured it would. Sunflowers might also make a good crop as they mature before summer

Ganado likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The problem right now is it should be spring/summer in the southern half of the country but the frost keeps coming back.
    Don' know what is going to happen this fall, if we get a fall.

Ganado likes this.
  11. Zimmy

In the hypothetical situation this is probably somewhat accurate. The biggest challenge isn’t that summer highs don’t occur. The biggest challenge is that fall might smear into winter in September and transition to spring very late. Possibly as late as August.

The longer growing seasons down here might fail with traditional crops. However, at moderate I expect upstate NY style crop cycles to predominate. They make tons of produce. We may have to eat pumpkins, but so be it.

At worst we will have Alaskan and Canadian growing seasons. If that happens be prepared for everyone between here and the North Pole to arrive hungry in the middle of Winter II.

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I could see that.

Ganado likes this.
  13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Looks like pit greenhouses will be making a comeback.

apache235, Zimmy and Ganado like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The ice age farmer youtube subscribers has doubled since I started watching.
    Me thinks people are catching on.

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

New ice age farmer video up loaded an hour ago.
    Check out the snow pack depth mid April this year versus last year.
    Oh and his videos are being reported as "inappropriate content" when he rags on man made global warming.
    And he is talking about earth sheltered green houses.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Dont and Ganado like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Despite youtubes censorship the ice age farmer is getting good hundreds of more subscribers per week.
    When I first saw his channel he had a few hundred subscribers I though he was some crazy guy taking crazyness. Didn't pay any more attention for a long while.

Ganado likes this.
  18. DKR

[​IMG]
    Matthew 24:36

Zimmy likes this.
  19. DKR

High yield cold wx plants
    • Spinach. This plant's leaves may die during the winter, but the plant, itself, can survive and grow new leaves in spring. ...
    • Leeks. ...
    • Kale and collards. ...
    • Parsnips. ...
    • Lettuce. ...
    • Cabbage. ...
    • Turnips. ...
    • Chard.
    What Are the 10 Best Plants to Grow in a Small Vegetable Garden?

Which Vegetables Are Most Efficient? - Bonnie Plants
    Most 'efficient' vegis. yield/sq ft
    From Jan 1, 1970! Seems not much has changed in the last 48 years.... (This is the time-frame when MEN got their start)
    5 Hardy, High-Yield Vegetables You’ll Need When Disaster Strikes | Off The Grid News
    Corn, sweet, field and pop
    beans, black, red, green and pole
    squash, so many and so many good picks... banana ?
    potatoes Russet or Alaska Gold
    cabbage. same as squash - almost too many to choose from....

Motomom34, Ganado and Zimmy like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The ice age farmer subscribers has now surpassed 12 thousand.
    I think people are starting to catch on.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7