? about salt

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Alpha Dog, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

In some areas, salt is mined underground. There is/was a salt mine 1137 feet under Detroit, Mi.

detnews.com | Michigan History

FYI:
    "The early Chinese used coins made of salt and in Europe many Mediterrean people used cakes of salt as currency. Roman soldiers were sometimes paid in salt. The word "salary" comes from "sal," the Latin word for salt."

Salt has a very long life expectancy. ;)

kellory, pcw907 and Falcon15 like this.
  2. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

The iodine is an additive to keep you from getting a goiter. It isn't really related to any salt aspect of the salt. It was added at a time when a lot of people didn't get enough iodine in their diets.

I know I haven't had any iodized salt in my house since I got married. After using only kosher and sea salt for a couple of months, we realized that iodized salt tastes like medicine, and we haven't gone back. And I don't have a goiter.

3. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

I believe Iodine was originally incorporated into Salt after it was discovered that some soils were deficient in it and the food produced from it, therefore also deficient, therefore Goiters. This was when everyone ate foods produced locally, before the days of massive food shipments,and if your area was iodine-deficient, so sad, too bad..... Certainly after an Apocalyptic event, our food (what there is of it) will be produced locally no doubt and many of us might be in a low or no-iodine area. The fact that you dont have goiter now is only because our foods are brought from all over the place and probably because the salt used in canned foods will be iodized. I would never dream of using anything but iodized table salt (except for pickling, preserving, tanning etc., where coarse salt is better). "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Most of us nowadays have never seen anyone with a goiter.....it's such a horrible thing for the sufferer and so terribly ugly and unsightly. I remember quite clearly people in Scotland when I was a child, with both rickets and a goiter......poverty and deficient soil, quite a combination.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I get my iodine from eating shell fish...Crab's,Shrimp,and Crawfish...
    Crawfish you can catch in a lot of area's...The spelling outside of Louisiana would be Crayfish...a source for one to consider..

VisuTrac likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Thankyou for reminding us, about scourges from years past

Thankyou granny for reminding us of scourges from years past. Few people these days would have seen a person with rickets in the flesh.

It will be a sad day when vitamin and mineral deficiency diseases such as berri berri, pellagra, scurvy, rickets etc etc become endemic again due to food shortages and starvation. A good reason to grow fruit, berries, vegetables, grains, etc. A good reason to stock vitamin and mineral supplements, as well as food staples.

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I keep salt in a sugar bowl next to the stove and could care less, if it gets a lump or two: a pinch between thumb and fore finger rolls the lumps right away, a tea spoon of salt lump seasons just like a sprinkle.

7. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

It's all very rosy right now when we have access to all kinds of food but who knows how severely limited our diet might be in the kind of crises situations we believe may come - and may last for months or even years. According to recent research on the Iodized Salt currently available to us, the iodine is most of them did not reach the necessary levels to prevent goiter and in many cases, the iodine that was present was degraded. So much for storing loads of salt.....however, if we end up at starvation level calories then every little bit will help, so I will continue to stock up on salt. It would be a comfort also to be able to be able to make the food more palatable, if it was poor quality. Salt is so inexpensive, it's something everybody can afford and it can be used for soaking infections etc. also.

I get a lot of my iodine from seafood also but once the tuna/salmon and sardines run out, there will be no seafood available to me, 1500 miles from the ocean, lol....I live near Lake Huron but how much iodine (if any) does freshwater fish have? Something else I have to check out...

8. tommixx

tommixx Monkey

just go down to feed store and buy a block of plane white salt so cheap

9. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

you need to extra careful buying block salt from the feed stores .... they have loads of various additives that are strictly for the animals .... but a salt lick is always a good idea .....

10. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

At worst salt might cake up a bit if you're in a humid location, a problem easily solved by stirring it until it breaks up again. I get 2 gallon pickle buckets free from a deli and store all my pickling salt in them... I'd store other kinds but that pickle smell is just about impossible to get rid of. If it gets into the canning salt, I don't much care. No rice, dessicants, wax, nada. We used to put rice in the salt shakers at restaurants, but mostly because people shake their salt shaker over steaming hot food and the moisture would get in there and cake it all up.

Not to mention mice loves them some salt. We used to catch them sitting on the blocks just licking away, and since mice pee constantly and on every surface they come into contact with....

11. tommixx

tommixx Monkey

white salt has no addatives ask at the feed store

HK_User likes this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Use it for ice cream making, road clearing, soaking pots for cleaning, pelts, anything besides eating. Ask a medic, but I think it could be used to clean wounds too.

13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Right, each block whatever the blend or purity comes with a list of what the block is made of and for.

Purchase a block with minerals with iodine as well as other trace minerals depending on your area and cattle needs. I never feed pure salt to animals just the correct mineral block. Poor minerals and the cattle will not reproduce.

You want cheap salt? Purchase a salt Block.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7