after shtf theft

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by jasonl6, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I agree that there is a difference between scavenging and stealing. I would not steal to feed me and mine if it meant another family would go hungry. Beg, borrow, trade, maybe, not steal.

hank2222 likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a thought, Here, on this subject..... After seeing the Tsunami devastation images from Japan, would it be scavenging, or stealing to find and TAKE, items from a pile of rubble left by the wave? Or finding, repairing, and using a vehicle that was washed up against a pile of rubble, and just needed some simple wrenching to make it a runner? Would this be a case of "Finders Keepers"??? What about salvaging all the copper wire, or any other metal in a rubble pile? How about keeping Jewelry, found in the rubble? Lots of ethical questions, here, and I have wondered about these.....

hank2222 likes this.
  3. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

In the case of the Tsunami, or even a Katrina-like scanrio, you have a localized event. I personally am speaking about a National or world-wide, without rule of law, SHTF scenario. In the case where only a localized even has occurred, you still have a government, you still have (ostensibly) laws, and personnel enforcing the laws. So in the Japan scenario, or even a Katrina-like scenario, I'd call it looting. A post-societal break-down is a different story.

hank2222 likes this.
  4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Scientists baffled by Japanese behavior

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="padding: 0in;" valign="top">

</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> ​
    There was an article in the US World Report regarding the orderly behavior of the Japanese citizens and the absence of looting after the earthquake and the nuclear nightmare. Social scientists are baffled by the total non-existence of looting and savage behavior in Japan considering the magnitude of this catastrophe. They conferred with human study organizations as well as sociology experts throughout the United States. Finally, after days and days of studies and meetings, they came to a conclusion.

There are no ??????? in Japan.

5. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Japanese culture and society are thousands of years old, and they have a very rigid system. There are few exceptions to this Japanese norm. The scientists are most likely Western scientists without a clue as to how the Japanese culture operates.

hank2222 likes this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

In Japan, as Falcon had noted, their history and culture are the cause. The most important thing to a Japanese person is 'HONOR'

They do not want to bring dishonor on their family name. Why else did they fight to the last man during the island fights in WWII or crash explosive laden planes into ships. It was because they didn't want to bring dishonor to their family.

Stealing/theft/looting would bring great shame to their family.

this tsunami event has shown that wallets with credit cards and yen are being turned into police stations across the region.

Whereas here in America, a lot of us have the cousin , brother in law or other black sheep of the family that is in trouble with the law and thank God we are not judged by his actions.

Anyway, this is an after shtf theft thread.

I recently watched the movie 'The Road'.
    From the ash-covered, post-apocalyptic remains of Appalachia, the Father (Viggo Mortensen) and Son (Kodi Smit-McPhee) take to the road in search of a better life. But the Father's health is failing, lending urgency to a journey impeded by nomadic bands of cannibals. Charlize Theron co-stars in this adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, set in a fictional near future in which the world has been virtually destroyed.

Brings up some interesting points about survival and the moral compass after a new normal arrives.

So as for me, I'll do right as long as I can and that's all I'm going to promise.

Peace out!

Falcon15 and hank2222 like this.
  7. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

Doesn't get mentioned often ...... but there are honorable people that go back post SHTF event and settle up with the owner for item(s) they needed during the event .......

8. Spartan300

Spartan300 Monkey+

I think the biggest problem will be the crack heads. This group will do anything for their beloved fix. I am already seeing a big increase in burglary and home invasions due to the economy. If theft is running rampant now, just imagine after tshtf. As scavenging goes I see no problem with utilizing something I KNOW is abandoned, and belongs to nobody at the time. As theft goes...no way. I have something very special planned for the thieving group...very special.

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I'll ask for your forgiveness and understandiig in advance of what I am about to say here....I know the subject all too well, right now, not WTSHTF...
    Personally, I plan on getting a few lengths of rope and I'll let you take it from that point on....guns make noise, bullets are not cheap to replace,but rope is GREEN ( reusable!) That's my feelings about it.
    I have NO use for scrappers, or scavengers.
    Yes, I understand the dialog, but right now I am having the PROBLEM as I write this.
    As far as I am concerend, ask first....if and when it is given, fine, but to take is as far as I am concerend a crime punishable by extremes.
    There are those in the world that think WE owe them everything...Well,I say they are WRONG.
    I am tired of these, whatever you prefer to call them,...They are no better than leeches or ticks.

10. Country_boy

Country_boy Monkey+

I think it's clearly stealing. The copper wire is still at it's original location, and the car is still titled. If my car were damaged but repairable, or salvagable, and you took it, I'd sign the arrest warrent in a heart beat. I't would be a little different if you stole some parts of a destroyed house to make your's livable.

Really, it's no different from breaking into the vault in a damaged bank (was was done.)

When Alabama got beat up by hurricane Fedrick, our then governor Fob James ordered the NG to shoot looters on site. I would assume no line was drawn between stealing new TVs, or copper wire out of a building.

11. wildone_uk

wildone_uk Monkey+

a man after my own hart

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7