Airguns as preps

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by plumberroy, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf Monkey

I have really been eyeballing an Umarex Gauntlet in .22. May go ahead and pick one up this year.

DW

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A survival / self sufficiency gun battery should include at least a .117 and a .22 air rifle, together with spare parts and ammo.

As has been previously mentioned they are useful for hunting small game, and varminting, with the added advantage of a lower discharge signature than for firearms, which reduces the risk of attracting unwanted attention.

Another benefit is in being an economical means of providing basic weapon training as preparation for firearms familiarisation.

Air rifles vary considerably in expense, complexity and capability....evaluate your needs and budget accordingly.

Air pistols should also be considered...for much the same reasons already mentioned.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    3M-TA3 and damoc like this.
  3. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

How do you feel about paint ball guns as part of your prep?

In a world filled with cameras I can see a usefulness to having some.

3M-TA3, Mountainman and mysterymet like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Marking a potential problem has its advantages, however, accuracy is equally important.
    I have paintball and airsoft guns as well, especially if you have someone to play with.
    If you have no combat experience you can't possibly appreciate the work involved.
    I'll be the first to tell you I am no good it.
    But also the first to tell you it's loads of fun with the right people. And you learn volumes,(if you can set your EGO aside)

SB21 and enloopious like this.
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Not only are airguns useful for hunting small game, but they can be especially useful for target practice and training!

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well in the US .177 is freaking everywhere.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have several CO2 guns that are copies of real fire arm your almost can't tell the difference till you get a really close look at them.
    I realize that CO2 are frail but they are fun to play with till they die. about half of them are BB guns, some fully automatic,(steel storm)
    I will never own the real guns these represent, so it's like having a collection of classics you can play with. 27 of them.
    I have curtailed my expenditures on these toys, though I tempt my self from time to time.
    My fun is shooting aluminum and steel cans, they are so reactionary and vulnerable.
    In practical terms 400FPS can take out a rabbit @ 100' , though most fo the critters I kill are rats and mice lately.

mysterymet and SB21 like this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Ive really thoght about getting one of those high powered air guns ,, PCP airguns i believe is what they're called. But , id have to drop 500 to a grand or better for one. That's a lot of cash to drop on an airgun ,, then I believe you've got to buy the pump ,, it may be worth it after you get one and use it ,,, but to start out with,, it's hard to jump on it right away.

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My brother bought 2 PCP guns and an air compressor for them, the compressor cost as much as one of the guns.
    Of the two guns he got the .25 cal is quieter than the .45 cal, Benjamine marauders.
    In 177 or .22 the PCP's only advantage is repeater capability and or power adjustment. the velocity is no different than a break barrel in those calibers. The other advantage is that in the cold CO2 falls off right away and compressed air does not.
    PCPs advantage is larger calibers that can be used for hunting big game.

SB21 likes this.
  10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

45 cal air rifle at 1K Y

Stupid presenter on this rifle

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    damoc likes this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What pressure to those PCP guns use?

12. DKR

A lot
    In a PCP rifle, a reservoir is filled with air under high pressure by some external means. The two most popular compressing techniques are by means of a special hand-operated pump or a scuba tank. By either of these means, it's possible to achieve a pressure as high as 3,000-3,600 psi

GOG likes this.
  13. DKR

at $500, a lot more than a low end .308....

14. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I need schooling on this subject. Haven’t used air guns in over 40 years and am not up to date. I did purchase a Benjamin 397PA in .177 and added a Williams peep sight. Load development is required but with all the cheap pellets out there I am not sure which ones to start with. My son had good luck using those gold pellets that come in the plastic bullet.
    My uses are off hand shooting practice, and small game.

Thanks in advance
    Jim

15. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

16. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

I ordered a Hatsan 95 earlier today. I ordered it in 25 caliber. My feet and legs are keeping me from getting out much but I sit in the garage and snipe nuisance squirrels out of the garden with an air rifle if nothing else .

SB21 likes this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Need to discuss night sights like the ATN,Most of these critters will run from a white light.
    Green or thermal is the way to go !

18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm actually waiting on my Texan SS 308. I figure with it ,, I can bag me a deer ,, and my smaller calibers will bag my rabbits and tree rats .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have seen hunt videos using 45 and 50 cal air rifles, they go straight through a pig. Ballisticlly it's about like shooting them with a standard pressure 45colt loaded with a heavy bullet.

The 30 cal air rifles only crank out the ft•lb equal to that of a 22lr. It would be about like shooting a deer with a 32ACP carbine.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

The chart I looked at put a 40 gr ,, 1100fps @ 107 fpe ,,which is a basic 22 round..
    And a 65gr , @1100fps at around 175fpe.

But ,, I could upgrade to the .457 . But , on another note,, we don't have many real big dear around here anyway,, so that might help a little as well.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7