Alaska just endured some serious earthquakes

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Dec 1, 2018.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

These are reminiscent of the 1964 quakes .
    Of our group and those whom live there ,
    How are they faring, and how can we help .

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Friend flew in just before the quake. Got rental car and was in the parking garage. Felt tremors but no damage.

3. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

(y)[ditto]

Gator 45/70, tacmotusn and Seepalaces like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No Issues here in Southeastern Alaska... We did NOT even feel anything... Los Anchorage is 600 Miles away... Looks like they can soak up some Federal FRNs that would have gone to Commieformia... and that ain't a bad deal at all... I haven't heard of and Deaths, yet, but it will take a while to gather all the facts...

5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Over the moon to hear you're ok. We prayed for you yesterday.

6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

This was a large earthquake and one in the backyard of Anchorage. The 1964 earthquake caused massive land slides, knocked out the railroad and power. This last one was much less of a hit.

We'll ask for and likely get a raft of FedGov dough for roads and such.

I do see a lot of small businesses that have been hanging on by the skin of their teeth going under and other closed for an extended period of time.

That = even higher unemployment/underemployment. I don't know if I will be going back to work next week or not. This said, I am working in a 'hardened' building that houses the companies mainframe. .That will be and must be the first focus.

The tangential issues of fallen ceilings, lights, loss of power or possible flooding all contribute to the question - will I go to work next week. I'm glad I don't work at the local supermarket...

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Glad he is ok . A parking garage is 1 place I wouldn't want to be in during an earthquake .
    Wishing all the best for Alaska and its people .
    Have there been any aftershocks ?

8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Parking garage is the Rental Car's "Lot" may be stronger than what we are use to also snow protection.
    Minor so far and localized damage.

9. DKR

Also - the Anchorage School District has suspended school thru next Wednesday to allow damage assessment. The school where my DD works will likely not reopen any time soon due to massive cracks in the walls and floors. The building sits atop a swampy area - a pond is present just a few hundred feet away from the front entrance. I imagine many of the homes in the area suffered badly as well.

This situation is far from over - and damage will be, in some cases, years to repair.

Much of the damage in Anchorage buildings doesn't make for the garish headlines so loved by the so-called 'news' networks.

I suspect many small businesses will not reopen, unemployment will climb - and feed the mass exodus now underway as people leave Alaska.

I would also guess more than a few people will leave owing to the earthquake and constant aftershocks - these certainly take a toll.

The final, total cost of this single earthquake may not be known for years.....

10. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

I am sure there are people on both sides of the "mass exodus" point of view. I've never lived in or been to Anchorage, so I don't have a clue about the attitude / ideology of the locals is. Is it a good thing that some of those 'not so strong to stay and rebuild' type of people are leaving? Or will it just at insult to injury?

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. DKR

No jobs is no jobs. Even if you pull in $40K a year you can collect full welfare for a family of 3... But you can't live on welfare and have a good life/any dignity.

That's why folks are bailing ... lots of jobs in the L48

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  12. DKR

I'm happy to report I was able to go back to work. The same for my wife and DD - who work for the local school district. Several school buildings have been red-lined for structural damage.

An entire neighborhood on the south of town, has the homes all condemned - and the people - the lot, have no earthquake insurance...

Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Sorry to hear of the AK earthquake. Am fortunate that i live in a geologically stable area where earthquakes of any significant magnitude are very uncommon and rarely cause much damage...though we do have no shortage of critters that can kill one.

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When i was a very young child I saw a film called the shadow of the boomerang , and fantasized about going to Australia.
    In those days they'd pay your way if you had marketable skills but at 10 years old I was unprepared.
    The few aussies I've met here growing up are not interested in going back so I've given up on that dream .
    Quakes I can take , heat on the other hand is not my friend .

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7