Alternative heat source thoughts

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Southbound, Jan 25, 2018.

1. This guy is obviously in my general area. My wife and I were hit by the same storm. Granted, we lost power for a week but, our place stayed pretty warm. We have a cheap Pro-Com radiant (and ventless) wall heater. I think its made for 300 sqft or under and we use gas grill size bottles. We live in a tiny house of 265sqft and it heats it quite well. Of course our range and two tankless waterheaters also use propane. What we like about the unit is that its piezo ignition and no fan. Power goes out and it still works. Also, it has a mechanical thermostat so after lighting the pilot it automatically cycles on and off. In the dead of winter running everyday combined with the water heatets and cooking on the stove one 5 gal bottle lasts about 1 week depending on usage.

2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@Ronnie Stanley

Thats quite a good savings on the 5 usg / 20 Lb LPG fuel for a week .
    Hows summer , Power a mini split from Electrical ?

Sloth

3. Actually, we went to Target and bought the smallest window unit they had. I think it was like 5000btu and pulls a little over 4amps at max. Our whole house runs on a single 15amp circuit 120v. That includes AC, fans, lighting, tv, gaming, everything. In the summer we switch our 2 water heaters over to low settings and a single grill bottle lasts about a monthand a half.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. Prepper12
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. damoc
  6. VisuTrac
  7. Hillbilly549
  8. DKR
  9. Kavode
  10. TnAndy
  11. Dunerunner