Am I Missing Anything?

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Detentus, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

This is my first blog here so bear with me.
    For the past year or so, I've been stockpiling essentials to well, survive. I'm not in panic mode, but realize that these days are dark in terms of the economy, politics, and society in general. I'm not pessimistic, but I did read Rawles work and he made sense. Our system is fragile and if there were an interruption of services, I'd like to know that I did all I could in advance.
    So: I've got about 6 months worth of food storage(for 4 adults,2 grown sons who would come here if needed). This is used and replenished and rotated.
    Medical supplies, first aid kits, vitamins, pain relievers, toiletries, cleaning supplies and clothing.
    Generator that's hard wired to house, fuel, matches, radios, batteries, solar panels and photovoltaic cells. Well water and a stream on our property.
    4 guns and ammunition, with once a week practice at a shooting range.

The question is: am I overreacting, have too much, too little and what am I missing?
    I look at it this way. The stuff gets used anyway and if nothing happens then no worries. If something does happen then at least I'm somewhat prepared.
    Any tips, suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance....Lynda

2. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Sometimes I look at all the $ I spend on survival and wonder if I'm being a bit nutty. But I do pay for insurance which I also hope I'll never use.

In looking at your list, just a couple of things come to mind-
    How will you handle waste disposal? If you're on city sewer, a long emergency will mean that pumps are down and pipes are clogged and your waste will go nowhere.
    If you're on septic and your drainfield is uphill (like mine) make sure you can power your pump periodically.

Also how will you dispose of trash? Having a "burn barrel" handy helps.

Heat. If your genny works on natural gas, make sure you have another method of heating if that goes down.

That's about it. I'm in a very similar situation. Working my way from 6 mos. to 1 year supplies. After that, the big push to self sufficiency. Not sure how to do that without moving to a farm though!

3. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Thanks. Been away for a bit dealing with elder care issues....
    We live out in the country so lots of opportunities. We have loads of wood and a wood stove besides the generator(hard wired).

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Elder care issues may also cause issues if they are with you bugging in... check your supplies for anythings that they might need that arn't stovked on a regular basis or that are essential... (ensure, protien drink mixes, different vitamins, etc..)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7