amazon

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by fl4848, Apr 20, 2022.

1. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

If amazon can deliver a package to your house, are you truly off-grid?

This is a question that I asked myself this morning. Just off the top of my head, I tried to think of the most remote place that I know. Wisdom Montana came to mind. So I opened up my amazon account and I sent dental floss to a random address in Wisdom Montana. Sure enough. Amazon will deliver.

There are probably much more remote places in the US than Wisdom Montana. This was just the first one that came to mind. It doesn't seem that there are any addresses in the USA that amazon will not deliver to. Pretty much any place that has a US Postal address, amazon will deliver to.

Again, I ponder the question of how you can get a house without a postal address. I'm sure you can. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to keep it from getting registered with a postal address.

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Amazon Prime goes to Excursion Inlet, Alaska, where we lived, which if 60 miles, from Juneau, Alaska, as the crow flies, out in bush Alaska, where the nearest road that connects to anywhere else, is 250 miles north, in Haines, Alaska... The seat of our Borough Government. All Packages come on the Bush Plane, Once a week, along with the mail, UPS, FedEx and Freight... It is hard to have a Street Address if you do NOT have any Streets....

3. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

I bought bare undeveloped land in 2005. No 'street address'. I rented a P.O. box in town for access to mail. We lived here for 3 or 4 years without a street address.

But we had two problems. One was renewing my driver's license the DMV wanted a street address before I could get a new license issued. They refused to accept a P.O. box address. The other thing was we wanted to begin having things delivered by UPS and we could not.

I spoke with the Post Office about getting a street address. But they had no idea how to do it. We do not have a town office, so I contacted the county. They referred me to a state office, I ended up being bounced around between at least a dozen different state offices. As it turned out this state has a 'Sept 11' office who was in charge of street addresses. They sent a person out here to locate where I was at, and they assigned us a street number. So I put that number on a mailbox and started using that as our address. I noticed that the number the state gave us was not in the sequence of numbers, it was a number that would have logically been a location over a mile away from here. Then UPS drivers could not find us, and they would have to call us to ask for directions. Finally we got a letter from the Post master, telling us to change our number to conform to the sequential numbering along our road. They said to simply make-up a number that fits in the sequence. So I did. and another ten years have gone by without any issues.

Everyone has different ideas of what 'off-grid' means. Do you want to not have a connection to the power grid? Do you want to not have a bank account? Is it all about being free from petroleum oil? No phone line?

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

There are a couple of places in OryGun that Amazon doesn't deliver to, 4 hours by road to anywhere ain't convenient or economically viable to them! Same with Northern Nevada along the OruGun Border, you ain't gettin anything unless you drive or fly there!

5. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

When we first moved to Orygun the property we lived at did not have an address. Had the same hassle at DMV with my PO Box with the clerk telling me I can't live in a PO Box. Had to ask for a supervisor that had a clue about where we were at. Got it straightened out and he told me just to make up a number so I went with 00 as in double aught buck, still have the old license with that on it. Still had to drive 18 miles to the nearest town for mail and packages since it was not a real address.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Clearly, the lady in the next town from me lives off grid because I keep receiving her damn packages by mistake all the time.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Like a dude 1 mile from me, He is considerate enough to drive over a package and mail so I return the favor when I get his ''stuff''

Brokor, SB21 and CraftyMofo like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7