Ambulance as a Bug Out Vehicle?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Mar 29, 2018.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Now one of those would be just the thing to piss off my tofu eating mangina bearing neighbor

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

My vote as well. Don't forget the yellow biohazard suit!

3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

C'mon guys.
    Your givin' me a bone with the pictures of those trucks.

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

:LOL: :LOL:

TMI

Oddcaliber and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Time for a "Trucks and Girls" thread...

Oddcaliber, Ura-Ki and Altoidfishfins like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ok, when I get to Seattle, next Wed, I will post a picture of AlaskaChick, with the 2006 White Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Pickuo Truck, with the New Canopy, and the Comm Gear Installed....

7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Sounds like double trouble.

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  8. sec_monkey

[LMAO] yall

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Boy have the prices dropped, the wife will flip, but I'm bidding on a 4X4, it's starting @$4100 and will not likely go past$4500!
    Not a lot of folks buying them now that the flood of them is past!

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

My first thought about ambulances is that they are HEAVY! Sinking to the rims in the lawn heavy. It doesn't get any better from there. All the parts are 1 ton truck or heavier, the tires and wheels to handle that weight are heavy and expensive. Some of the other options are more fun...until you have to change a super single...or keep a low profile. Forget about getting replacement parts locally.

I've owned a string of Jeeps since my teenage years. First was a '63 Willy's Wagoneer. I had a '74 before I went overseas, and got an '85 Grand Wagoneer after I got married. The trouble with old Jeeps is that you can't just run down to the local AMC dealer to get parts anymore. I still have that '85 Jeep. Big thumping 360 gets 10MPG uphill or down. It's going away soon, to finance another diesel Mercedes. I'd be happy to have a fleet of them. $500 a pop for runners is about right. You can park them all over the AO and nobody would give them a second glance. Just let the grass grow up around them. Parts for older models are surprisingly affordable and available. The maintenance is different, but makes sense...and they are invisible on the road. (unless you're a fan) IMHO the only mode of transportation that makes you more invisible on the road is a 125CC motorcycle.

Now there may be one ambulance I'd consider. I saw one in Norway. It was a mildly modified Mercedes 300TD. :)

Motomom34, duane and sec_monkey like this.
  11. sec_monkey

[coo] @Ura-Ki (y)

remember there is an auction fee plus sometimes they also charge sales tax

Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  12. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

An armored car would be better if people are shooting at you.

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  13. sec_monkey

yep

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. duane

duane Monkey+++

Jeeps not too practical in New Hampshire, almost all the older ones have the frames rotted out and I mean gone. Many have been converted to high lift mudders and you can barely drive them on the road and they have ridiculous amounts of money invested in them if the frames are good. For a bug out vehicle you are better off with an older 4 wheel drive pickup or light truck with an older diesel. Hard to find but a lot more practical both before and after TSHTF. Love the older jeeps, the new ones are to big, to expensive, and to complicated for me.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

People ask where I am bugging out to and that is the issue, I have no destination except away from the city. Car camping is fine when you are a single person or two but I have 3 people. An ambulance gives storage plus if it is winter you can put up a few cots because it is wide enough. I thought about one of the old 70-80'svans but no storage and it would be cramped. I saw an old ambulance on-line for $12,000 with is cheaper then a really run down mobile home. I do not want to have to by a truck just to haul a home that may or may not ever get used. The 2 wheel issue is huge but I know how to put on chains. The electric issue is bothersome because I do not know electric stuff at all. The used ambulance I saw had as much clearance as most mid-sized SUV.

Those trucks that were posted are great but they do not fit my need. An old school but would be great also but it would have to be gutted, re-done to have storage and all the other stuff.

Ganado, 3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  16. sec_monkey

[grouphug] Moto

Motomom34 likes this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

No sales tax on FED auction rigs, and no hidden fees! You have the normal DMV fees and paper work, but that's pretty much it.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Ambulance or tall work van done up as a biohazard transport. Nobody will stop you and they will think twice about shooting and putting holes in whatever might leak out. I'd use red paint to put a couple of "bloody" hand prints on the door.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  19. sec_monkey

gud point, however some folks are reckless enuff to shoot at anythin

:cautious: :cautious:

Ura-Ki likes this.
  20. sec_monkey

@Ura-Ki this is foosed, however this is what one of the auctions says

somehow it is subject to sales Tax in NJ .. [dunno]

Final Selling Price Transaction Fee
    Above $1 10%
    • This item is subject to New Jersey sales tax.
    • Buyer must pay a transaction fee, based on the final selling price:

1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Tully Mars
  6. BenP
  7. the68
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. STANGF150
  10. sdr
  11. Yard Dart