Ambulance as a Bug Out Vehicle?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Mar 29, 2018.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, I hit that site. The ones I could readily go see have problems that i could not readily get fixed. The ones in good condition are WAY too far away ATM.

The 939 I was thinking about, was 25K. Well out of my range dollar wise, but close enough to go and get. That and the pipeline maps, good to go.

In general federal auctions give a very limited time to haul off your winnings. If it can't be driven, well, flatbeds are a couple pence, and you may need to arrange for that in short order, at least to a rented parking place until you can get paper tags (and insurance) to drive on.

Ganado, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

What it is like to drive this beast.
    Ours had sat in the surplus yard for 5 Years. First time out made a believer of you about a NEW driving style and how much road space you needed.
    Watch the Youtube. <not my Youtube>

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

@ghrit looks like they have a couple in NJ, a couple in the DC area, 3 in NC .. those are probably within range

also a couple in MO? plus 1 in IL?

a few are as far away as HI

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. ghrit

Both of those at Ft. Dix have problems. The cheap one is a parts car, no tranny or drive shafts. I forget the other one's problems, but I didn't want to deal with them. The others, well, I'll be watching the auction site, it's possible one or another will pop up not too far from here, there's a yard full of stuff about an hour away.

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

If you buy make sure you have a tow vehicle handy as well as a complete set of tools on the truck and a Air Compressor. That's just for the ride home. It took me 2 months to sort out the "NEW" air brakes.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and ghrit like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    $18.5 out the door.

New Fiberglass Top (Removable)
    - Recovered Seats (Driver Seat Spring Ride)
    - Electrical- Checked out completely
    - LDT 465 Turbo Charged Engine, Low Mileage,
    Checked out and Serviced
    - 5 Speed Overdrive Transmission- Serviced
    - Air Shift Front Engage Transfer Case- Serviced
    - Air Over Hydraulic Brakes- Serviced
    - 4 New Custom 20X11 Wheels (Not Surplus)
    - 4 High Tread 14.00R20 Goodyear/Michelin
    Tires or 395/85R20 Michelin Tires
    - Cooling System Serviced w/ New Hoses/Belts
    - Fresh Industrial Paint (1 Color)
    - Fully Serviced
    - Good Clear Window Glass
    - Operating Windshield Wipers
    - 2 New Group 34 Batteries
    - West Coast Mirrors
    - Shortened or Lengthened to Customer Specs
    - M105 Trailer Bed (Installed)

Oddcaliber, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Ouch! I remember clinging to the wall railing at Kuwae Hospital, making maybe 12" a minute toward the emergency room after tearing up my back working on tires like this. I did this kind of work for a year with Tomatsu Tire Co in Okinawa, Japan.

If you get a flat in a big truck you call road service. When there is no road service you are in a fix.

M923 super single tire change - Yahoo Video Search Results

HK_User, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When my father in law retired he and his wife traveled the country helping out church camps. when they first started out they used a pick up truck and camper and a 14' camping trailer .
    It served them several years till they were talked into several other means of traveling the country .
    20 years later they went back to the original set up with a pick up truck and camper and a camping trailer .
    a small camping trailer can be hauled by almost any other vehicle if something happens to the original tow vehicle. fifth wheels are a pain and can only be hauled with one ton or better preferably a dulley .
    Think about being stuck some where and how help is going to work out because you may be the only one you can depend on post SHTF .
    I've held on to my 1967 3/4 ton cheve . no computer and standard ign .An EMP probably will not phase it .
    I have a small camper on it and my shop trailer roughly 4 ton , and have hauled it hundreds of miles .
    For that truck I have spare fuel pump, water pump , alternator, wheel bearings, hoses and so forth , 2 spare tires for each vessel .
    I have hauled that trailer places you would not take a car with that truck and vintage parts are still available .
    point is , to me this set up is more versatile than military anything in the long run .
    Pick a truck you can work on , NOT say to your self you can do it, but you actually do it , and critical stuff= engine rebuilding and so forth.
    If this is your primary bug out vehicle, pretty is not as important as function .
    By the way my shop trailer has my battery bank solar panels and wind mill on it.
    Those currently power the trailer an my home .

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think we have enough of those. My vote is no.

A wind mill. I am very interested in this. Size and what you are able to power from it etc.... Free power is good. Any details you could share would be appreciated.
    (new thread on windmills on vehicles?)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  10. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Anarchists and anyone pissed off about lack of response from emergency services might go out of their way to attack your vehicle.

That’s the big drawback I see.

This thread reminds me of the movie Cannonball Run from the ‘80s.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  11. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Ive seen some pretty cool horse truck conversions, suspect the mpg is crap but might be worth looking into.

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What is a horse truck? I have seen horse trailers but those are narrow and open

13. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

JMHO here,I'm looking to get a popup camper with a mid size pickup. A 10' closed has a low profile can be towed easy on most roads. Higher end models are off-road capable but cost more. Used campers can be found for cheap with a bit of searching.

14. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Still looking for a 300TD.
    300TD CAMPER.

15. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

16. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

But no matter what you do, every time it rains it smells like damp hay and manure...

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Actually, the ONLY time you get "Free Power" out of that Windmill, mounted on a Trailer, is when it is Stationary... When it is being towed, the Power it generates comes from the Energy burned pulling it down the road... You pair for that Energy in the Fuel used, already...

Zimmy, Alf60, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  18. ghrit

The interesting part of that is the huge power loss from wind resistance and really poor efficiency of conversion. (Not to mention the losses due to bridge impacts.)

Ganado, Zimmy, Alf60 and 2 others like this.
  19. Alf60

Alf60 Monkey+++

Years ago the FEC railroad had windmills on their cabooses. I guess it doesn't make much difference on a freight train.

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yep, right up until they started putting Gensets on the Caboose Wheel Trucks to power them.... Now Days the Power is feed directly from the Engine along with the Air Pressure to hold the Brakes Off.... and they don't haul Cabooses any more...

3M-TA3, Alf60, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Tully Mars
  6. BenP
  7. the68
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. STANGF150
  10. sdr
  11. Yard Dart
  12. Motomom34