Ammo, weapons, tunnel found in California home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ColtCarbine, Mar 3, 2007.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ammo, weapons, tunnel found in California home

POSTED: 10:02 p.m. EST, March 2, 2007

Story Highlights
    • Explosive fire leads to discovery of tons of ammunition
    • California man not charged; undergoing psychological evaluation
    • Crews emptying house, fortifying tunnel

NORCO, California (AP) -- More than 1 million rounds of ammunition, a cache of weapons and a tunnel were found at a man's home after an explosive fire that forced a neighborhood evacuation, authorities said Friday.

Crews worked to fortify the tunnel, which measured 5 feet wide by 8 feet long, to ensure it was safe. It appeared to be at least 10 feet deep and led into a backyard, authorities said.

The fire Thursday afternoon at the home in Norco, about 45 miles east of Los Angeles, caused some of the ammunition to explode.

The man tried to run back into the house after firefighters arrived and had to be restrained by sheriff's deputies, Riverside County Sheriff's Deputy Juan Zamora said.

After the blaze was extinguished, crews discovered metal and wooden boxes of ammunition for shotguns, small handguns and assault rifles.

On Friday, sheriff's deputies and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives combed the house for evidence.

Dozens of metal and cardboard boxes filled with ammunition for shotguns, small handguns and assault rifles sat in a driveway. Two of the assault rifles were illegal, Zamora said.

The man had no permit for 75 pounds of black gunpowder that was also recovered, Zamora said.

No arrests had been made. The man, whose identity was not released, was taken to a hospital where he will receive a psychological evaluation, Zamora said.

Last April, authorities said they found more than 1,300 weapons and 89,000 rounds of ammunition in the San Bernardino County home of a man who claimed to belong to a militant group with aims to overthrow Cuban dictator Fidel Castro. Robert Ferro of Upland faces counts of unlawfully owning and failing to register guns.

Link

2. hunter

hunter Monkey+++

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hunter, welcome aboard, we're glad you've joined us.

A direct answer to the questions would take a bit of research, but Seacowboys is right, there are a lot of common calibers that are adapted to or originally for machine guns. But a lot are not, say like 220 Swift, 257 Roberts off the front of my lobes. At the other end, I've never heard of a full auto 375 or 416 Rigby either. (Drooling at a vision of a full auto 416 spitting solids, that would be awsome.)

So far as magazine quantities of stored ammo go, I don't know about loaded cases, but there are limits on storage of black powder that I've seen. I've never gotten too deep into bp, but have read a bit. I think, but do not know, that the limits are based on fire codes, not on law.

See also http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum12/2739.html

4. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I didn't realize this had already been posted, sorry for the dupe.

5. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

a mile or so away

It was a mile or so away from where I was, then, the tunnel was headed towards the river bank, about a block away from the house. Dry river most of the time. I figgure he was building and 'out' from his home. The first TV reports that I heard was that he had over 100 'guns' many automatic. The next said over 1mil rounds (bullets they called them). Then they said 100 'guns' most semiauto. Hmmm..... If He could legaly own them and they were not 'hot' and He had not too many pounds of powder [dunno] [applaud] snowbyrd, Hey they got a sat 'puter here. limited time tho'

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7