An Interesting, SECURE, Comm's Device, for your CN-AoO

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by BTPost, Feb 17, 2011.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The only issues I've had with my pair is short battery life. (Well, that and the test at the range didn't go well, too much bang-bang in the background. But they did work well at target check intervals. Distance was a couple hundred yards, good for tactical at least.)

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Am looking to pick some up after I get over being broke from the holidays.

3. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

Very interesting thread so far.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@ghrit An EarBud/Mic/PTT Audio Plug-in will cure that issue.... I see them on eBay for under $10US all the time....

Falcon15 likes this.
  5. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Momma Falc and I have used ours at a range of close to 1 mile in the burbs, 1.5 on a highway (nice flat space between us). PTT Audio headsets with boom mics are GREAT for BG noise cancellation.

6. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

The fan club I am a member of is the proud owner of a dozen of these units for our "outings". Well liked. Well used and tested on a hunting trip. Works for us.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  8. WastedDaze

WastedDaze Monkey+

Anyone using iden models other than the i355?

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have the folding phones. I-560, as listed in the post just above yours.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  10. BTPost

I also have basically switch to i560's as I have given most of my i355's away to other Monkeys, to get these Units out in the Field, and get Feedback back for this Blog... With the antenna Pulled up they are basically equivalent to the i355

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

With kids and technology challenged individuals around here, I prefer the blocky style of the i355.
    The flip of the i560's could pose to be problematic (imho) if it were to be left open and something placed on it or suffer a drop.

It's a personal choice. And it's easier to reach as it doesn't slide as deeply into a pack pocket or pouch as does the half height flipper.

YMMV.

AmericanRedoubt1776 and Falcon15 like this.
  12. WastedDaze

WastedDaze Monkey+

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  13. WastedDaze

WastedDaze Monkey+

"Ask and you shall receive"
    Went to the radio shop I used to work at and asked if they had any old Nextel phones. They pulled out boxes of 'em as well as new accessories and let me take what I wanted... How cool is that?!.... Got all the batteries, chargers, RF adapters, head sets...etc, I can handle at the moment.

I was able to get 9 units charged and working on direct talk. 4 of them are i355's

They have more at their alternate shop, trying to get those too. Some friends are interested in playing with 'em too.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=157201&g2_serialNumber=2 main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=157204&g2_serialNumber=2

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  14. BTPost

Way cool... If there are more available, you just might make up Pair Sets, and make them available to some of the Monkeys, here, that might not have the budget, or expertise, to figure these out for themselves. I can think of a few regulars, here that might be interested, for the Postage.

Tully Mars and Moatengator like this.
  15. WastedDaze

WastedDaze Monkey+

OK. If I get more I'll let everone know.

Moatengator likes this.
  16. WastedDaze

WastedDaze Monkey+

Undocumented feature? Silent alert.

Playing around with my Nextel units I descovered what might be an undocumented feature, silent alert.
    When calling another unit in Direct Talk (DT) you can set it up to vibrate instead of beeping when a call is received.

This is how it works. Turn Nextel unit on. Before it launches into DT it should say "Please wait". Press the down volume button till it says "Vibrate on" and you feel the phone vibrate. Now press the "Home/hangup key" to launch into DT.

The unit will now vibrate when it receives a new DT call. If you call back and the other party returns to you before your screen reverts from "Receive DT" back to "channel, code" the unit won't vibrate. Vibrate will happpen only after your screen resumes the DT "channel, code" screen. This allows you to carry on a conversation without the unit vibrating on every return transmission.

17. BTPost

Nice feature...

18. Drico

Drico Monkey

I am having a hard time finding an antenna for the I355 nntn7510a. on ebay they are 30 bucks each. anyone have a better option?

19. BTPost

My only Source has been eBay... When I was in the Market, they were going for between $5US - $10US each, and the fellow I dealt with, would sell them, in 10 Piece increments..... In doing comparisons, the Fixed Antenna was only marginally better than the Standard Antenna, when it was pulled Out, and Extended to it's full Length. These also must be, either fully Extended, or fully Retracted. there is NO Connection if it is in between those to positions..... .....

20. Drico

Drico Monkey

That was what I was affraid of. I have found another option for adding an antenna that I have to share with the forum. It seems to plug directly into the bottom connector of the phone. the cord is 8ft long and a magnetic mount on the antenna.
    External Antenna Booster Drive Time Kit
    cell-phone-accessories.com/nei3cephanbo2.html

I ordered 2 , Ill repost after I get a chance to try it out.

1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Garand69
  7. Bandit99
  8. BTPost
  9. DKR
  10. BenP
  11. Hanzo
  12. Asia-Off-Grid