Angioplasty Scheduled For Monday

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Jun 10, 2014.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Last week while was on a business trip, I had an episode on Monday where I almost couldn't breathe. Gasped and panted after having a couple of beers and a couple of orders of Buffalo Wild Wings super hot wings (never had problems with hot stuff before and I LOVE hot sauces). Got to breathing again, walked from seat to car, had to wait 15 minutes, then have co-worker drive me back to hotel. 2 mornings later, I ended up driving myself to the local emergency room cuz I thought I was having a heart attack. X-rays showed enlarged lungs, but no lung cancer (WHEW!). Tests showed no heart attack. I got home Saturday and had an appointment with a cardio doc yesterday. Yep, blocked blood vessels to my heart. I've tried for the last 15 years to get my doctors to believe I had a problem, but they all said Nah, nothing to worry about.

I have an appointment on this coming Monday for an angioplasty, complete with stents. I was wondering if anyone has any R/L experience with angioplasty....good OR bad.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kajun

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Best of luck and good you caught it before you had a heart attack.

I went to the ER 3 times before they would listean, all to save from having a heart attack.

Listen to your body, make the Docs listean to you.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Good luck.

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Sends good Mojo to our Kajun friend...

5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Glad you caught it and this is the best kind of prep...your health! You'll pull through and be good as new in no time. ---> Good Vibes!

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well I certainly cannot tell you what you should do, but the only suggestion I have, if I may be so inclined, is for you to get a second opinion. Of course, time may be of the essence, so I can't say it's right for you to spend time on more doctors, I would feel awful if anything happened to you. Take it easy after your surgery and if you feel like you are light headed, feeling weak or feverish do not hesitate getting medical attention. I know you will be placed on some sort of anti-coagulant medication as well as aspirin, and I do not know what type of stint they intend on using. If it is a metal stint or another permanent non organic stint, you will have to permanently take medication to reduce clotting and your body's natural rejection of foreign matter. I also do not know if biodegradable stints are in use yet. I do know that with angioplasty, the use of stints are common, some say too common, and out of all heart attacks, arterial narrowing isn't the primary contributing factor. But, a steady amount of moderate exercise, healthy diet and not smoking will help you tremendously. And an aspirin a day is always a great idea...

I really wish you the very best. Angioplasty is kind of a cool procedure and has always fascinated me. I am a natural kinda guy, and prefer diet and exercise over medical procedures, but sometimes it is unavoidable I guess.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Best wishes, Kajun. I know a few guys with stents, and all are doing well.

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Best wishes.

9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Good luck and good health to you, Kajun! Good reminder to all us guys, it doesn't matter how good you think you feel, once you're hitting the big 4-oh birthday, get your butt to a doctor, and start paying attention to what your body is telling you. Glad that I did, as when I went for my first visit, the doc says, "You have DANGEROUSLY HIGH blood pressure, you need to get on medication NOW!"

Yeah, guess 170 over 110 wasn't the best my BP could have been! :rolleyes:

Glad to say, with my recent weight loss (a continuing saga), my blood pressure seems to be on a downward trend, and I might be able to ditch a medication soon! [woot]

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I am 40, had a physical the other day and the doctor thought I was an alien. Healthier than a teenager, perfect readings on every test.

It's never too late to start eating and exercising right, though!

11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

My best buddy!! Hope everything goes smoothly!!

chelloveck likes this.
  12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Hey Kajun, stents are an easy procedure these days. MIL, brother and a couple friends went through it and are way better for it. Good luck and go after the root cause afterwards.

3M-TA3 and chelloveck like this.
  13. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Best of luck to ya! :)

chelloveck likes this.
  14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Done deal!! Woohoo!

Took all of about 20-25 minutes to clear a 95% blocked left side blood vessel. Now I can look back at all the doctors I went to over the last 20 years and say "I told you there was something wrong!"

Spent last night at hospital....does anyone sleep in a hospital? We will stay in da city for one day to make sure no complicationw, then a follow up visit and off to home to rest and recuperate. Whew.

Kajun

15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

May you have a full and speedy recovery.

chelloveck likes this.
  16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Good to hear the procedure went well, and that you are on the mend. Best wishes go to you and your nurse at home.

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am glad that all went well.

chelloveck likes this.
  18. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Great news! Prayer sent.

jim

chelloveck likes this.
  19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A new chapter of life gets started. Glad it was successful, and hope it remains so.

chelloveck likes this.
  20. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Good Deal.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7