Angioplasty Scheduled For Monday

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Jun 10, 2014.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Fantastic.... Now you can get on with the Ham Radio fun.....

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Awesome news.

3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Excellent news!

4. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

OK, had my first follow-up today with doc. I have bad, REALLY bad bruising on right side, from above knee to almost belly-button and around towards the back. Doc said not a problem, is due to taking blood thinners a week before procedure and the little thingie that was supposed to stop the bleeding immediately after removing the femoral artery needle not working properly. It doesn't hurt, but looks horrendous. I'll have to make some changes in diet and drinking, but nothing too drastic. Looks like stent is working properly. 3 new meds to take daily. Bummer on the new meds.

One rather startling happening today, though. For the past 5 years or so, I've been told the reason for my breathing/shortness of breath is due to COPD caused by years of my smoking. I asked the doc if this procedure would maybe help shrink my lungs a little and make the COPD less bad. He asked if I had ever had a spirometry to confirm COPD. I said no and he said we'll take care of that. Had the spirometry test and when the doc came back in, he looked at the results, looked at me, looked at the results again, looked at me again and said "You do NOT have COPD! In fact, your lungs are working a bunch more efficiently than they should be at your age!" WOOHOOOOOOO!! Could have knocked me over with a feather! Sweetie and I are on cloud 9 about this as well as how well the procedure seems to have gone.

Next follow-up in 2 months. [​IMG]

Kajun

5. BTPost

Way Cool, TxK.... Always remember... All Doc's are just "Practicing" so always get a second Opinion.... from one that has no Axe to Grind, or Money to make.....

6. PapaGrune

PapaGrune Inside the firestorm

Great news on the COPD!!!!! That can be a real life changer.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Hey, BT!! Got my little Baofengs up and running! Made a whopping 2 contacts today. :) :) :eek:

Wasn't as easy as I had hoped (who woulda thunk these little radios needed to be programmed? Duh!) and the users manual and disc were useless, but online info got me started and a bit of luck got me the rest of the way. :) Found out I'm just in time for Field Day this coming weekend and got hooked up with the local ham club.

I gotta get back to work! I'm gettin' way too much done at home! LOL

Kajun

8. BTPost

@TXKajun Wonderful, First Contact, is always the one you remember.... Great you hooked up with a local Club... If you can make time, their Field Day Operation, will open your eyes, to what Ham Radio can do.... Even in a Remote Operation.... I will be on 20 Meters from my place... (14292.0 KHz USB ) Daytime and (3830 KHz LSB) after Dark..... Callsign AL7AQ .... .....

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Had a contact north of Anchorage yesterday, W1AW/KL7. The only 7 I've contacted so far, but have heard a couple others infrequently on 20. Based on listening at 292, it's odds on I'll not catch up to you on 20M. Will look for you on 40 sometime after you are dark, tho' that's really close to my pillow time.

@TXKajun There is software available to make programming your H/T a piece of cake. Google Chirp for one that is highly regarded. Also, there are linked repeaters that can increase your range hugely. (I know nothing about them either. Yet.)

10. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

@BT I'll note your freq and call sign and see if we can connect on Saturday during the day. Thanks!

@ghrit I tried CHIPR but I'm running Win7 and they didn't seem to like each other. I got the Baofeng s'ware from an online site going and working pretty well, though.

Kajun

11. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

It's been 9 months now post-angioplasty. I've been short of breath after the least amount of exertion ever since the procedure. This is most definitely NOT what I expected post-procedure. The doc keeps telling me it's gonna take time, possibly lots of time, so just take it easy. Only problem is, I'm sick and tired of feeling terrible and "taking I easy."

Bleah! BUTT! (and it's a big butt! lol) a couple of weeks ago, we started putting together a little home gym in the garage. It started off with Sweetie finding a used Bowflex for a very reasonable price, getting it set up and me starting a little 10 exercise program with it. That was a week ago last night. Then, she found a heck of a deal on a free weight bench plus weights a day later. Then she found a great treadmill for darn near nothing....it has to be in my manly room cuz we're out of room in the garage now! LOL OK, finally, Wally World had dumbells on sale at a ridiculously low price, so we got a couple of sets. Got it completely set up Saturday, but I started working out with the Bowflex a week ago yesterday. I told Sweetie and Bunny "The good thing about feeling as bad as I do is that my body should respond quickly." Little did I realize just how true that was! I am feeling 1000% better after only a week and a half. I got out this evening, fired up our lawnmower (self-propelled) and mowed the back yard in about 15 minutes. One brief rest while I moved some plants out of the way. I am feeling tons better! This is definitely a "Thank you Jesus" moment. I need to keep it going, but finally I feel very motivated. Now, if I can get to where I can climb a couple or 3 flights of stairs without gasping to death, I'll consider myself well on the way to recovery.

Kajun

Motomom34, 3M-TA3, natshare and 6 others like this.
  12. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Good to hear, Kajun! Yeah, as we age, it's easy to get discouraged by the little setbacks we encounter, isn't it? I lost a bunch of weight last year, and now some of my joints (knees, hips) are complaining more! Hey, I did you guys a favor, and this is the thanks I get? :rolleyes:

But with measured activity, we will grow stronger. Never as strong as we once were, but we're not 20 anymore either, right? I just this past week had a standing desk set up at work, and while I'm still occasionally sitting (at least, until the Ben Gay kicks in, and makes my hip feel better! LOL), the increased standing time seems to be helping. I just have to keep reminding myself not to get carried away, and over-do it.....and you'll probably find out the same is true for you. Just like when we're babies, and learning to walk, one small step at a time, my friend. (y)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7