Another generator for the house

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by kckndrgn, Oct 17, 2022.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Picked up another generator for the house. Ice storm this past Feb really spooked the wife and want's to double down on preps, I ain't complaining.
    Found a steal of a deal on an industrial generator, Bulldog 9000TB on FB market place. Guy said it ran 2 years ago, then sat for a year and wouldn't start. He admitted it was probably the carb as he didn't drain the fuel but he didn't want to mess with it.
    Hell yes, I'll take on the challenge LOL. Got a replacement carb ordered already. Drained and cleaning out the fuel tank. Battery that came with it is shot, won't take a charge, no biggie there LOL
    From what I can find online, running watts are 7500 (beats my current biggest genny by 2000w). Electric start and remote operation.
    I love it when people can't fix the simple things and opt to sell at a loss!
    Funny thing is there is a sticker that says "Not for use in the state of CA", no problem there!
    This reminds me, time to fire up my other generators and verify they still work correctly.

20221016_153609.

2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

good chance that carb could have been cleaned & rebilt >>> definitely something to keep in the spares - either DIY or motorshop rebilt all the better - carb spare parts a definite must also .....

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just so you know, Commiefornia passed a Statute last year that OutLawed all Small Gasoline Powered Engines... No Cainsaws, No LeafBlowers, No Lawnmowers, No Lawn Edgers AND No Portable Generators.... I wonder if that goes for all the ones the Fire Departments use throughout the State after a Storm???

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Of course, it doesn't. The fire districts will still have their gas-powered pumps, saws, and generators. State offices will still have gas or diesel generator back-up power. It just affects the little guy who might want to be comfortable and secure when the power grid fails.

@kckndrgn Nice find on that gen set. It looks brand new!!

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yeah man, Spend a 150 bucks on it, Change the oil and lets hear back on the machine.

6. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Them carbs are real easy to fix. Tear it down, let er soak overnight, blow it out with air, re assemble.

7. kckndrgn

Yup, it's soaking now, but it was bad. Not only varnished up, but had lots of dirt/debris in it. I'll clean it up and keep it around for a spare.

Yeah, I heard about that. Don't know if this genset is newer than that law or not.

Carb was 25.00, if I need a new battery that will be the expensive part. I charged up the battery that came with it overnight, going to see if it will hold a charge if not I'll replace it. It's a SLA lawn mower battery so they are not that expensive. Going to pull the plug and see what it looks like and change the oil

Yup, soaking now, but it was in bad shape, lots of build up and debris in the bowl. Float wouldn't even move at first.

I love little projects like this that don't take much time or effort to get running again. Going to add a fuel filter inline as well, tank already has a cutoff valve. Hour meter reads 167 hours, so not much.

GOG, Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Might want to pull the spark plugs and inspect the cylinders, too. That much debris in the carb makes me think no intake air filtration.

9. kckndrgn

Air filter is in place, but it won't hurt to put the scope down the plug hole.

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Good catch! I have a brand new 8000-watt Champion but I'm honestly thinking of getting another one just because - well - the world is so screwed up that who can say if it won't be needed or one's dollar is worth much in the near future. I even looked into getting a large generator, 18,000-watt (for entire house, shops, and Well) but I couldn't get a damn propane tank to power it (500 gallon) as they are sold out everywhere around here so...so either another portable or wait until Spring. Actually, given the cost of it and the tank, I'm not so sure it is worth it and might be better off with another large portable.

Anyway, good catch! And, I imagine you already know this but don't use ethanol gas in it, it makes a huge difference to keep the carb clean.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  11. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

A bit of clarification. Existing small engine equipment can still be bought, sold and used. Rules say new equipment must be zero emissions (ie. battery) starting model year 2024 for most equipment using <25 hp engines. Zero emission generators (that's oxymoronic) aren’t required until 2028 though they will need to meet more stringent emissions requirements starting 2024.

If you live there, stock up, or better yet get the heck out.

Also beware there are over a dozen other states that tend to follow California’s lead on emission and OBD regulation often by simply legislating that to sell in their state it must be certified to sell in California. Federal law precludes them from enacting their own emission regulations so that is how they get around that. Some may follow the small engine ban as well.

12. Dunerunner

What is the progress on this project? Inquiring minds, you know...:rolleyes:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

What he said.

14. kckndrgn

Sorry for the delay in updating, life got in the way.
    Had to order a new carb for it, most expensive carb I've ever had to replace and it came from the UK. There are a couple of unique "features" with the carb and I managed to find a dealer that services these generators.
    With the new carb it was up and running.
    The flip side is that we had the electrician out and got the interlock setup for connecting to the house. The hard part was getting all of the breakers fully identified so we knew which ones could be off and which ones needed to be on.
    Took a Saturday afternoon and practiced setting up the generator to the house. Confirmed we could run everything needed and then some.
    Ironic part is that I found "another" generator locally that has a 50AMP output, almost bought it but held off.

15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

About a week ago, I started my Generac generator. It hadn't been started and run in about 5 years but started on the third pull. I also got my old pick-up truck started and let it run, I can't drive it cause it needs a new transmission....maybe this summer. Next, I'm planning to get my big Onan generator started.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hang on a minute, Old pick-up? Tell us more

17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

It's just an old pick-up truck that we used around the place. It's a 1980-something Chevy with a long-wheel base, that needs a new trannie. The old one locked up as I was driving it to town for a set of new tires about 2 years ago. It's not much to look at, BUT it is a pick-up truck! You can set it on fire and roll it down a hill, but I'd rather have it than a Coup DeVille-- Joe Diffie

Homer Simpson and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. kckndrgn

@Wildbilly & @Gator 45/70 I also have an older (is it really an older?) truck in my shop rebuilding the engine. It's a '96 F150 with the 300 I6. Truck is/was my Father-in-laws and the engine quit years ago, then it sat up waiting for some love. My son turns 15 in May so, hoping that we have the truck running by then.
    The engine was locked up, so found a donor 300 I6 from a 93 almost done putting the engine back together and ready to drop in. Replacing all of the vacuum lines has been a pain and I still need to replace both fuel pumps.

Airtime, CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Engine still runs like a top, although it could use a new muffler too.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

So you are making your son do most of the work with you just supervising, right? No better way to teach him about vehicles and to appreciate what he has once its running.

When my daughter was 16, almost 17 she complained about the brakes thumping on the Ford Escape she got to drive. A heavy box was under the Christmas tree for her and she opened it to find a new brake rotor. She wasn’t happy but I told her we’d do it together and there was a second just like it in the shop. A week later we changed the first one together and then I told her she had to do the second herself but I’d watch. I sat and drank a beer while she changed it out. Only had to help her lifting the caliper back in place while installing the retaining bolts. I have a great picture of her scowling at me while turning a breaker bar. In the end, she did great, was kind of proud of herself (not near as proud as I was of her). We had a great father daughter time. She learned a lot and confessed several days later that it was a pretty good time and experience. A wonderful memory that makes me smile every time I come across the pictures on my phone.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7