Another Idiot, saved.....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by BTPost, Aug 29, 2016.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Searchers find overdue hiker looking for "Into the Wild" bus

Posted: September 12, 2016 - 6:10pm | Updated: September 13, 2016 - 12:01am

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    DENALI NATIONAL PARK AND PRESERVE — A 45-year-old man from Mexico was located unharmed Monday after failing to return on time from a hiking trip to an abandoned city bus in the Alaska wilderness made famous by the popular book and movie, both titled “Into the Wild.”

Denali National Park officials said the search for Carlos Castrejon was called off after he was found in good condition.

He was last seen Wednesday when he set off to find the abandoned Fairbanks city bus near the national park. He intended to be back Saturday.

Officials say Denali’s backcountry staff had warned him before he left that he hadn’t planned enough time for his hike, which was a 30-mile roundtrip over rugged terrain.

Both the 1996 book and the 2007 movie chronicled the life and death of 24-year-old Chris McCandless, who hiked into the Alaska wilderness in April 1992 with little food and equipment. He was found starved to death in the bus almost four months later.

The bus has long been a destination for those seeking to retrace his steps.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

How many people does that make now?

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

two in the last month... Just plain DUMB..... FlatLanders.....

4. MountainMariner

There are about a thousand pictures of the bus on the internet if anyone wants to see the thing. To get the real experience everyone venturing out there should go unprepared, eat some poisonous plants and take a 22 LR for your only protection.

ghrit likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I don't think many pilgrims to the holy land travel through Jerusalem on an ass, have a last supper and get nailed to a cross to get the real experience of becoming a resurrected deity....though retracing a journey of bad decisions would seem rather unsound.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Seeing the types of people that do these things ,often have a ignorant death wish ,till reality hits them in the face.
    I have 100 can's of spam and I know how to make a fire with a ferrro rod, I have seen every survival video, so I will survive .
    Not .
    Survival videos don't show the endless hours of hunting an waiting for game or for fish to bite . nor the guarantee of finding roots and berries to eat .LOL
    It takes patience, not panic .
    Fantasies rarely play out because reality is not wired into the same mind.

7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I tend to agree with you, arleigh. I think reality TV shows contribute to unreal expectations concerning survival. Such entertainment programs don't make a point of revealing the amount of logistic support required, without which the "survivalist(s)" could not, in reality survive.

8. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

The problem is, we keep saving them from themselves. They wanna retrace his steps? Let 'em, all the damned way!

BTPost likes this.
  9. MountainMariner

I need to claim salvage on that bus, drag it to town and charge $25.00 a head to see it and get a picture. The state could save money on rescues and I'd be a bajillionaire. (Which has been my aspiration since obtaining my thousandaire status a few years back.)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Cruisin Sloth, BTPost and chelloveck like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Stop hunting down bears that eat people,
    they are doing a public service .
    If you have so little regard for your own life, as to challenge bear territory unprepared,
    it is obvious you disregard the safety of those that had in the past gone searching after these people.
    There for IF you head out into bear territory, know this," NO one is coming after you.." nor are they coming after the bear that ate you.
    There problem solved.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7